• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

JUST SEEN THE STATE OF THE PITCH!

northbankblue

Went down the ground today to get a few bits from the shop and couldnt resist having a look at the pitch.
So i walked in through the north east emergency gate expecting to see some growth on the hallowed turf and i was shocked to see nothing...nothing at all ! Just a topsoil mix with lots of seed none of which had even started to take.
I may be panicing but to get the pitch to the lush state it was in at the end of the season in time for our friendly games is going to be a huge ask.
My main fear will be that the grass will be ready and will look good to the eye but individual shoots will not be established enough to take any sort of wear and tear come the rainy months and we will be left with a mud bath.
Hope im wrong!

I guess we have to trust that they know what they're doing down there, certainly if we have a major heat wave with very little rain in June we could be in a bit of trouble. Ironic with the amount of water we've had during May ... my grass has been growing like mad and I swear you can actually sit there and watch it!.... well its a welcome alternative to Big Brother anyway..... God roll on August!

We have very good groundsman and thats well documented with awards etc, just have a little faith ;)

Surely we have to assume that the groundsman knows what he's doing. I'll be rooting for him if there'sa serious debate. Oops wrong thread.

We can debate team selection and transfer policies all we like but I think we can leaf this issue to the profesionals.

The grass should be well established by the time our first home friendly comes around. Re-seeded grass takes only 4-6 weeks to become fully established if treated correctly.

Rob you say have faith in the groundsman but this faith thing is a common word on here at the mo! I just hope rather than have faith that the grass will grow and the new players will be signed in time for the new season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (northbankblue @ June 05 2006,20:15)]Rob you say have faith in the groundsman but this faith thing is a common word on here at the mo! I just hope rather than have faith that the grass will grow and the new players will be signed in time for the new season.
Of course, you are spot on and there is every chance we will have no pitch and only 9 players come August. After all, this is our first ever season, I mean we have no experience whatsoever about getting the pitch ready or even how many players we need. Tilly and Brush have never, ever done this before.

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO!!!

Lets keep the faith lol
oops.gif

Silly season indeed.
If anyone bothered to look when we went on the hallowed turf after Brizzle City, you'd have noticed the pitch wasn't half as good as it looked from the stands.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (keefmoon @ June 05 2006,23:35)]Silly season indeed.
If anyone bothered to look when we went on the hallowed turf after Brizzle City, you'd have noticed the pitch wasn't half as good as it looked from the stands.
indeed, something I was actually quite surprised with. Really didnt expect it to be that bad.

Many of us remember Derby Countys ground, they managed to play football with barely two blades of grass and a pitch that looked like the Somme in winter.

Pops up now and again on the old Match of the Day reruns.

Breathable shirts. Sculptured boots. Beize like turf. Jeez what are we pampered or what.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ June 06 2006,07:57)]Perhaps this puts the centenary match in jeopardy?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

SUFC may be rubbish at many things, but one thing we have always had at Roots Hall is first class ground staff and a top rate playing surface.

This is one thing that will definitely be right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (northbankblue @ June 05 2006,20:15)]Rob you say have faith in the groundsman but this faith thing is a common word on here at the mo! I just hope rather than have faith that the grass will grow and the new players will be signed in time for the new season.
The groundsman know what they're doing, it isnt the first time the pitch has been re-surfaced.

Everything is gonna be alright and if it's not we have always got a visit to Layer Road to brighten our spirits.
smile.gif

I think some people need to go on holiday and relax and stop panicking over every little thing!

Back