• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Yesterday we were poor across the board and I would like to think this post is not a knee jerk reaction but the last month or so Kalala has been truly woeful.

Please to god can we have Granty back who can do the defensive roll as well as JP and might actually have an ounce of creativity in his body. I would love too see more of Sawyer but my spy's tell me he is on his way out.

Kalala offers nothing going forward at all and he is too weak to be an effective holding player. Totally at fault for the first goal with a feeble challenge.

I am praying Grant comes back for Tuesday.

Whilst I agree with bringing in Grant for JP I also think Ferdinand needs to buck his ideas up or spend some time on the bench so that he has to show some fight and work his way back into the side. There is no point having the amount of players who can play in midfield when it is the same people match after match that are starting regardless of how they are performing. I think it is time for Sawyer to be given a run. I would like to see a midfield of Hall,Timlin,Grant,Sawyer and maybe Leonard if we are playing 5 across the middle. Even just looking at these names poses more of a threat than we have seen over the last few games.

Yesterday we were poor across the board and I would like to think this post is not a knee jerk reaction but the last month or so Kalala has been truly woeful.

Please to god can we have Granty back who can do the defensive roll as well as JP and might actually have an ounce of creativity in his body. I would love too see more of Sawyer but my spy's tell me he is on his way out.

Kalala offers nothing going forward at all and he is too weak to be an effective holding player. Totally at fault for the first goal with a feeble challenge.

There was a good spell when Kalala was by far and away our best player when the opponents had the ball. Okay, he was our worst player when we had the ball, but he was doing a good job.

Doesn't look quite the same player of late.

Why is it necessary to single out individuals after a poor result? Would Grant playing yesterday instead of JP have changed the result?

It is only a few weeks ago that JP was wining man of the match awards and plaudits on here. I do not know why JP needed to go back to France a few weeks ago but it does seem to be affecting him. For the moment I agree that his performances do not warrant a place in the starting eleven but does he really need to be described as "woeful", "weak", and "feeble"?

Why is it necessary to single out individuals after a poor result? Would Grant playing yesterday instead of JP have changed the result?

It is only a few weeks ago that JP was wining man of the match awards and plaudits on here. I do not know why JP needed to go back to France a few weeks ago but it does seem to be affecting him. For the moment I agree that his performances do not warrant a place in the starting eleven but does he really need to be described as "woeful", "weak", and "feeble"?

Yes, if thats what his performance was. I think you could add Ferdinand to this thread as well as he hasn't turned up for the last few games. And on yesterdays game you could pretty much describe the whole teams performance as 'woeful,weak and feeble' - lets hope its a one off - maybe the FA cup replay is playing on their minds with a trip to Anfield at stake. If it is then my concern would be that if we beat Oldham, the next few league games could serve up more of the same before the trip to Liverpool.

I think Kane has scored all his goals with JPK alongside him, but as someone mentioned on the other thread, when he isnt scoring Kane doesnt do a lot, he isnt a creative player pinging passes everywhere. I really feel Sawyer deserves a chance in that role or alternatively move Timlin inside. The truth is the last month JPK, Kane, and Timlin have all been pretty poor. Im not sure if tiredness is a factor or other outside factors (JPKs bereavement, Timlins future, Kane being courted by other clubs). I trust Luggy and Coughlan to sort them out though. Maybe dropping one or two to the bench might do the trick.

Why would Sawyer be on the way out. In footballing terms he hasnt been
given many minutes on the pitch to proove himself. unless he wants to go or something
Has gone on behind the scenes. One of the few who doesn't hoof it.

Well only you know if it's a knee jerk reaction or not, as you are the one who is saying it.

Why would Sawyer be on the way out. In footballing terms he hasnt been
given many minutes on the pitch to proove himself. unless he wants to go or something
Has gone on behind the scenes. One of the few who doesn't hoof it.

Well ask yourself why he hasnt had any time. We have had loads of games of late when he could have got a look in and hasnt. Appreciate he got injured before one start but the truth I think you will find is PS dosent rate him and he will be out sooner rather than later.

If you look at Sawyers record for us this time I bet he hant started more than 5 games. Shame as I really like his driving forward quailities

Yes, if thats what his performance was. I think you could add Ferdinand to this thread as well as he hasn't turned up for the last few games. And on yesterdays game you could pretty much describe the whole teams performance as 'woeful,weak and feeble' - lets hope its a one off - maybe the FA cup replay is playing on their minds with a trip to Anfield at stake. If it is then my concern would be that if we beat Oldham, the next few league games could serve up more of the same before the trip to Liverpool.

Fair enough. If the whole team played poorly I have no problem with their performance being described as woeful, weak etc. My comments were more about the need to single out (scapegoat?) an individual.

Given KP's performances prior to his family bereavement it also strikes me as pretty harsh to lay the blame at his door for our loss yesterday.

As to whether Grant should be playing instead lets not forget he originally lost his place through suspension and then got himself needlessly sent off and suspended for 3 more games.

According to Chris Phillips Kalala picked up his fifth yellow yesterday and so will miss Tuesday's game through suspension anyway.

According to Chris Phillips Kalala picked up his fifth yellow yesterday and so will miss Tuesday's game through suspension anyway.

Probably best for the lad...give him a little break, and hopefully come back fresher and ready to go again.

I think it may well have changed the result if it had been Grant starting instead of Kalala. We looked a different team once Grant came on. Unfortunately by then we were already two down and having to chase the game and leave gaps at the back.

I think Kane has scored all his goals with JPK alongside him, but as someone mentioned on the other thread, when he isnt scoring Kane doesnt do a lot, he isnt a creative player pinging passes everywhere. I really feel Sawyer deserves a chance in that role or alternatively move Timlin inside. The truth is the last month JPK, Kane, and Timlin have all been pretty poor. Im not sure if tiredness is a factor or other outside factors (JPKs bereavement, Timlins future, Kane being courted by other clubs). I trust Luggy and Coughlan to sort them out though. Maybe dropping one or two to the bench might do the trick.

Kane scored his goals when Kalala was in the team because with Kalala in the team we're playing 3 in the middle and Kane is asked to push on more. Kane is criminally underrated by our fans because he makes the game look so easy. Kalala makes the game look difficult and somehow wins plaudits for doing so.

Ferdinand does a **** load of defensive work that goes unnoticed, partly because he's pressing higher up the pitch than Kalala, partly because it's just closing down and he's not diving in. Look at Timlin's interceptions and see how often it is Kane who's forced the rushed, rash pass without diving in or tackling but by closing down options. Unlike Kalala, he doesn't lose his discipline and start chasing the ball, but knows hows to hold his position properly and when to close.

On the ball Kane's developed tremendously. I'll hold my hands up and say I completely underestimated how good he would be. He's developed the Kevin Maher knack of creating space by turning with his first touch. It's easy to miss because it's so smooth and effortless (Grant's a bit more noticeable when he does this, as he's not as smooth and he'll fall over and win the free-kick). He's so smooth and polished that people forget he's a teenager and judge him as an experienced pro, which is a sign of just how good he is. Unfortunately, I don't think he's not going to be appreciated at Southend until he's gone.

I think it may well have changed the result if it had been Grant starting instead of Kalala. We looked a different team once Grant came on. Unfortunately by then we were already two down and having to chase the game and leave gaps at the back.

Really? The whole team played poorly and I have not seen anything from Grant this season to suggest that he could have single-handedly lifted the whole team. It is one thing to make an impact with 20 odd minutes to go against a team cruising at 2-0 up than it is from the start.

Incidentally I agree with you about Kane who has great ability to make time for himself. He has developed very quickly from a defender in the Youths, to a holding midfielder, to a midfielder with the ability to score goals. However at 19 he is bound to have some poorer games.

Really? The whole team played poorly and I have not seen anything from Grant this season to suggest that he could have single-handedly lifted the whole team. It is one thing to make an impact with 20 odd minutes to go against a team cruising at 2-0 up than it is from the start.

Incidentally I agree with you about Kane who has great ability to make time for himself. He has developed very quickly from a defender in the Youths, to a holding midfielder, to a midfielder with the ability to score goals. However at 19 he is bound to have some poorer games.

I think we were hamstrung first half as we were effectively playing with 10 men so bad was Kalala.

He gave us nothing going forward and caused more problems defensively by continually giving it straight back to them in dangerous areas than he solved by his defensive work, which was poor anyway. The first goal was directly down to Kalala: if we don't concede that we go in level at half-time and that gives Sturrock a chance to make his tactical changes (ie get Mohsni pushing further up to stop Dicko being so isolated etc).

Grant did more right in two minutes than Kalala had in an hour. Grant will break up opposition attacks at least as effectively as Kalala did on Saturday, plus he'll win a lot of free-kicks which gives us the chance to get bodies forward and clear the ball so it sticks up there and we can play from the opposition's half.

Back