• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Kevin Keen to West Ham

Have heard a rumour that Maher might be on his way to Bristol Rovers.

LOL. If ever a person had blue blood, it's Kev Maher. When he played for Dagenham & Redbridge, he was in the car park speaking to Southend fans. All he spoke about was Southend. When you speak to him now, he absolutely loves the club. It will take a much bigger club than Bristol Rovers to temp him away.

So not a player on loan they see a future for but a youngster released they don’t.
I see...

It’s very different taking a player they don’t want and moulding him one you do and who goes on to have a career for you to taking a a player on loan and helping develop his career for the benefit of another club!!

Why take West Ham’s youngsters on loan and stunt the development of our own?

We spent money on Patterson and released Kightly .......

Kightly would’ve never have made the success he did had we not released him. Some players need that kick or change of club to push them on.

Kightly would’ve never have made the success he did had we not released him. Some players need that kick or change of club to push them on.

You could say the same about Freddy leaving West Ham.

Times of changed now and clubs keep them in cotton wool far to long. Many will drift out of the game aged 22/23 when if they were released at 18 they may have done a lot better long term.

Pigott would be a good example of someone who was only ever going to mentally toughen up by dropping to non league.

There are always examples to prove any theory. We spent money on Stephen Humphrys but released Norman Wabo. I know which one I’d rather have.

There are always examples to prove any theory. We spent money on Stephen Humphrys but released Norman Wabo. I know which one I’d rather have.

Humphrys learned his trade at a Championship/Premiership club which will have far superior facilities than ours. However would Wabo flourish into a top CF at Fulham? Who knows.

I think it's a mixture of dedication/natural skill/temperament and ultimately luck if you make it as a Pro in the top 4 flights.

Humphrys learned his trade at a Championship/Premiership club which will have far superior facilities than ours. However would Wabo flourish into a top CF at Fulham? Who knows.

I think it's a mixture of dedication/natural skill/temperament and ultimately luck if you make it as a Pro in the top 4 flights.

Indeed, but none of that analysis was provided to back up any of the other examples of a fee for one player or releasing another - and that’s my point, the discussion so far has been just randomly picking a fee paid player and one that was released and saying the released one was better - no proper analysis or even any good reason why the players chosen are good comparators - so I decided to demonstrate the facile nature and futility of the debate by picking the opposite examples, also out of thin air.

The timing of this coincides with Chris Ramsey's contract ending this month. Not sure if anyone knew that

You could say the same about Freddy leaving West Ham.

Times of changed now and clubs keep them in cotton wool far to long. Many will drift out of the game aged 22/23 when if they were released at 18 they may have done a lot better long term.

Pigott would be a good example of someone who was only ever going to mentally toughen up by dropping to non league.

Sounds similar to our latest signing's career trajectory as well.

Anyway Keen will be working with the u18s. They won't be going out on loan at that age but he will be releasing players at 18 and turning down players at trials. They are going to be going to our Academy/U23s, not our first team.

Back