• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

King Kev Of Southend

TBV_Dan

Supporting The Blue Voice
I have decided to dedicate this thread to our captain Kevin Maher.

First, I would like to congratulate him on completing 10 years at southend united, big achievement. Secondly, I would like to congratulate him on his achievements at southend, especially leading us to back to back promotions a few seasons ago, fantastic moment for any southend supporter, and thirdly, being the club's most successful captain of all time.

He is, in my eyes a true southend united LEGEND!!!

Well done Kevin Maher, you truly are Captain Fantastic!!!

Last edited:
Fully agree with you there mate, SUFC LEGEND!!!

Legend is an over used word these day's. Kev is a loyal servant to this club and deserves plenty of praise and recognition for what he has achieved in the past few seasons, however to call him a legend may be a tad strong.

How is he not a legend???? He's been the most sucessful captain we have ever had, been here for ten years when he could have moved on and made alot more money and, even forgetting that, has been a bl00dy good player for us (even when he was getting alot of stick from the terraraces). I'd be interested to know what you would need to be to be classified as a legend!

How is he not a legend???? He's been the most sucessful captain we have ever had, been here for ten years when he could have moved on and made alot more money and, even forgetting that, has been a bl00dy good player for us (even when he was getting alot of stick from the terraraces). I'd be interested to know what you would need to be to be classified as a legend!

Answer me this question:

Had we stayed in league two for the past 3-4 years and had no promotions or success, would you still call him a legend?

If changes had not been made (e.g. Tilly and new players) he would not have got the recognition he is now. I recall thinking during the Wignall era that he was one of the worst players on the pitch. Now don't get me wrong he has improved as the standard of player's around him improved, however as recent times have shown when thing's aren't going well he doesn't respond well.

To be a legend in my book he would have had to play consistently well over the past ten year's (not just playing very well for 2-3 years) and respond better to being dropped and having a dip in form.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has been a very good player in recent years but people need to look at the bigger picture sometimes.

Kevin Maher is no legend, yes he's been the most successful captain at SUFC, but to be honest Maher has been lucky with us.

In my eyes, Paul Clark is a legend. Quality player, solid at the back, and has managed us in times of need.

Where as Maher went through seasons getting selected in the team when playing very poor. When did he ever get subbed off for playing poor.

I'm just glad now (it's taken long enough) Tilson has realised he's not the be all and end all at SUFC.

Maher for too long in my eyes has taken his place in the side for granted, cause he knew he would get picked game after game no matter how good or bad he played.

For a captain he's not very vocal, and get's in to too many slanging matches with referee's, when the easy thing to do is just walk away.

Barrett has a better temperament as captain.

Yes well done Maher for ten years service, but by no means is he a legend.

Kevin Maher is no legend, yes he's been the most successful captain at SUFC, but to be honest Maher has been lucky with us.

For the first bit, it makes as much sense as the Tilson lucky with Eastwood argument. It's not like a manager decided to make his weakest player captain. To be honest, whenever I've seen the team out, you can tell who the leader is amongst them by the body language. Maher has or at least had the respect of the players and that's why he was captain.

Barrett would be anonymous as captain were it not for the downturn in his form.

For the first bit, it makes as much sense as the Tilson lucky with Eastwood argument. It's not like a manager decided to make his weakest player captain. To be honest, whenever I've seen the team out, you can tell who the leader is amongst them by the body language. Maher has or at least had the respect of the players and that's why he was captain.

Barrett would be anonymous as captain were it not for the downturn in his form.

How doesn't it make sense? Maher has played in a successful side, if him being captain was the reason of our success- what happened in the pre-tilson era? All because he has been captain of a successful side, doesn't make him a legend!

He may have had the respect of the players, however he was hardly ever a role model on the pitch. Constantly being booked for dissent.

As I've said, loyal servant has been a good player, but not a legend.

well by all definitionsiof a legend in what is a term very loosely used these days Kevin Maher ticks all the boxes as they say. Fourth I believe in the all time appearance records. The only captain to have held 2 trophies aloft. What more does the man have to do short of changing his name to Wayne Gray for TTK's convenience.

To be a legend in my book he would have had to play consistently well over the past ten year's (not just playing very well for 2-3 years) and respond better to being dropped and having a dip in form.

Blooming Ada. A hard task master if ever there was one. Get real. So basically Blues have no legends then.

How doesn't it make sense? Maher has played in a successful side, if him being captain was the reason of our success- what happened in the pre-tilson era? All because he has been captain of a successful side, doesn't make him a legend!

He may have had the respect of the players, however he was hardly ever a role model on the pitch. Constantly being booked for dissent.

As I've said, loyal servant has been a good player, but not a legend.

I think you're mixing my post with someone else's but I can answer why it makes no sense and it's simple - every player in the teams contributed to each of those promotions. Even the weakest links deserve that credit. Maher wasn't the weakest link, he was the central player to our system.

In the pre-Tilson era Maher tended to be one of our better players although as noted above he didn't fit particularly well in to the Wignall team.

What would be your defintion of legend by the way and Clark aside, who else would you put in?

Sitting on the fence

Even as a massive fan of Big Kev who appreciates his talents and recognises his achievements over the last ten years, I'm still somewhat on the fence with this.

There is no doubt in my mind that Kevin Maher has been one of Southend's most consistent players during his time at the club, and he has always been one of the first names on the team-sheet for every manager we've had while he's been here. What's always impressed me is that, even when he's been off-form, he's still never shirked his duty - always looking to receive the ball from his colleagues, and always finding space to do so.

When Kevin finally had the right players around him during our promotion campaigns from League Two and League one, he was immense. In my opinion, he was as much a part of our success at that time as the likes of Eastwood, Goater, Prior and (yes) Flahavan.

But will he be remembered as a true Southend Legend?

For me, the nature of a legend is in its celebration once it has gone. You can look back on the legendary Chris Powell with pride. You can talk of the legendary Stan Collymore who made such an impact in such a short period of time. You can even talk about the legend of Freddy Eastwood who started his debut hattrick within 8 seconds of coming on, before spanking one in against the Premier League champions from just outside the stadium. True legends every one of them.

For me, it all depends on how history is going to look back at Big Kev, as you only truly miss something when it's gone. Without ever making people sit on the edge of their seats, Kev has always just seemed to make things tick. Most of the time, he's got the job done. He's been quietly effective. But is that what legends are made of?

If you look at Steve Tilson, you could ask the same question.
He's seemingly not the brightest of managers. He's shockingly poor at pre and post-match interviews. He's caught out perhaps a little more often than he should be tactically. And he's made a couple of woeful, high-profile signings. But he's also been quietly effective; and he's had more than enough results under his belt to have earned our gratitude and loyalty for years to come.

History is always going to look back on Steve Tilson with favour. His quiet effectiveness, without a shadow of a doubt, has earned him the status of Southend United legend. So why not Big Kev?

Well here's the thing...
Can you imagine talking to your kids in 15 years about 'the legendary days of Kevin Maher'?

I love him to pieces. I shall be eternally grateful for everything he has ever done. I will go to his testimonial. I will buy a souvenir programme. But, while I see him as a fantastic servant of this football club, and while I will always remember him fondly, I just can't see myself speaking in the future about...

The legend of Kevin Maher.

Last edited:
Time grants new perspectives... I think my abiding memory of King Kev will be the mental image of him racing from the MS clutching the play-off final trophy to catch the plane to Ireland, and a traditional Irish wedding Caillie.

Is he a legend? Not yet. Will he be? Yes, I think so.

In my eyes, Paul Clark is a legend. Quality player, solid at the back, and has managed us in times of need.

Where as Maher went through seasons getting selected in the team when playing very poor. When did he ever get subbed off for playing poor.

I'm just glad now (it's taken long enough) Tilson has realised he's not the be all and end all at SUFC.

Maher for too long in my eyes has taken his place in the side for granted, cause he knew he would get picked game after game no matter how good or bad he played.

For a captain he's not very vocal, and get's in to too many slanging matches with referee's, when the easy thing to do is just walk away.

Yes well done Maher for ten years service, but by no means is he a legend.

I agree.

Look at who you would call a legend in football & compare them to KM, do they match or does KM fall short? I have respect for KM and all that he has done/achieved etc but I feel he falls short of a legend in my book.

A Capt must lead & have respect, however he must know & lift his players on the pitch and I believe AB is much more capable at this than KM. KM seemed very bombastic at times.

AB has just signed a long contratc & had his first child - I didn't really expect anything but a slight down turn in performance for a while. He is now a Father & Dad with resposibilities.

Dash

Even as a massive fan of Big Kev who appreciates his talents and recognises his achievements over the last ten years, I'm still somewhat on the fence with this.

There is no doubt in my mind that Kevin Maher has been one of Southend's most consistent players during his time at the club, and he has always been one of the first names on the team-sheet for every manager we've had while he's been here. What's always impressed me is that, even when he's been off-form, he's still never shirked his duty - always looking to receive the ball from his colleagues, and always finding space to do so.

When Kevin finally had the right players around him during our promotion campaigns from League Two and League one, he was immense. In my opinion, he was as much a part of our success at that time as the likes of Eastwood, Goater, Prior and (yes) Flahavan.

But will he be remembered as a true Southend Legend?

For me, the nature of a legend is in its celebration once it has gone. You can look back on the legendary Chris Powell with pride. You can talk of the legendary Stan Collymore who made such an impact in such a short period of time. You can even talk about the legend of Freddy Eastwood who started his debut hattrick within 8 seconds of coming on, before spanking one in against the Premier League champions from just outside the stadium. True legends every one of them.

For me, it all depends on how history is going to look back at Big Kev, as you only truly miss something when it's gone. Without ever making people sit on the edge of their seats, Kev has always just seemed to make things tick. Most of the time, he's got the job done. He's been quietly effective. But is that what legends are made of?

If you look at Steve Tilson, you could ask the same question.
He's seemingly not the brightest of managers. He's shockingly poor at pre and post-match interviews. He's caught out perhaps a little more often than he should be tactically. And he's made a couple of woeful, high-profile signings. But he's also been quietly effective; and he's had more than enough results under his belt to have earned our gratitude and loyalty for years to come.

History is always going to look back on Steve Tilson with favour. His quiet effectiveness, without a shadow of a doubt, has earned him the status of Southend United legend. So why not Big Kev?

Well here's the thing...
Can you imagine talking to your kids in 15 years about 'the legendary days of Kevin Maher'?

I love him to pieces. I shall be eternally grateful for everything he has ever done. I will go to his testimonial. I will buy a souvenir programme. But, while I see him as a fantastic servant of this football club, and while I will always remember him fondly, I just can't see myself speaking in the future about...

The legend of Kevin Maher.

Excellent post, certainly gives food for thought. I tend to disagree, I think Kev's status as an SUFC legend is defined not just by his recent success (excluding this season), but also by his longevity, he is currently ranked fifth in the all-time Blues appearances table. He may not go any higher, but that in itself is a considerable achievement. The four players above him (Anderson, Moody, Bentley, Pountney) would all be considered legends in my book, and it's certainly arguable that Kev is the best player of the five (I'm sure Ronnie's loyalists will disagree - don't get me wrong, Pountney is a true Southend icon). I also think it's worth mentioning that Kev has grown from a fringe player, pilloried by the boo boys, to become our most successful captain. I agree that the 'legend' label is used far too readily, but at a club like ours, where success is a rarity, it should be applied to Mr Maher.

Back