• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Laptops

fatshrimp

Manager
I'm finally getting round to getting a new laptop this weekend and as ever my technical shortcomings are being exposed.

Could you tell me if you think either of these are any good? Both seem like a good buy. I'll use them for basic home type stuff (internet / itunes etc), but I want something futureproof-ish.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...roduct&fm=1&sm=0&tm=0&sku=816726&category_oid=

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...fm=1&sm=0&tm=0&sku=937014&category_oid=-34014

I'm thinking the Samsung one looks better. Anyone offer any opinions? I don't want to pay much more than this sort of money.

Cheers.

I saw the Samsung one in Currys the other day and instantly wished that was available when I bought a new laptop last year.

a bit more expensive but have you had a look at the latest Macbook? If not it's worth popping into the Apple shop just to see what you think

Go with the sammy. I've seen the q210 version and it's a very nice laptop. the r510 is pretty much the same, just bigger screen.

Why would anyone get a mac? Try right clicking :D

In all seriousness, Mac's suck

:dim:

In all seriousness, have a look at Dell. I'm on my Dell laptop right now, Inspiron 1525, with a few upgrades.

Spec: 140gb space
3gb RAM
Intel Core Duo 2.0ghz
15.4" screen.

All for £380. That was in the sale though, but look around you may find something.

It seems to me that most Windows based laptops are much of a muchness these days. Look around for reports on reliability but beyond that I can't really see much difference between any laptops.

It really makes a lot of sense. Laptops and cocaine seem to be the only items that are inflation proof. When I bought mine in 1999, it cost me £1700 and the typical price for a laptop was between £1200 and £1400. I realise now that I didn't need to spend that much and it was a stupid move. However, I bought one recently that has a far, far better spec which cost me £400 which seems to be about the equivalent market spec of the old £1200 one.

Why would anyone get a mac? Try right clicking

__________________________________________________ ________

Great answer I'm sure thats very helpful. Have you ever tried one?
You might find the quality is just a touch better than your Del

Why would anyone get a mac? Try right clicking :D

:dim:

In all seriousness, have a look at Dell. I'm on my Dell laptop right now, Inspiron 1525, with a few upgrades.

Spec: 140gb space
3gb RAM
Intel Core Duo 2.0ghz
15.4" screen.

All for £380. That was in the sale though, but look around you may find something.
I'd 100% agree with you there, Dell laptops are very good and i'd reccomend them 100%, but at the end of the day, it's your decision, not ours.

I'd 100% agree with you there, Dell laptops are very good and i'd reccomend them 100%, but at the end of the day, it's your decision, not ours.

I recently bought a dell studio 17 for £588.01. upgraded the screen to the led one and bought the red case for it (tart, yes i know). kept the rest of the spec as is and i am very impressed!

love the keyboard on it, so much better than some laptop keyboards i've used in the past.

the only downside to it, is that the speaker crackles every now and again when the wifi is on. and as i don't use it to listen to music or play movies it doesn't matter!

Back