• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Last chance to smoke

The smoking ban is a joke. It's a sad day when our civil liberties are taken away from us by people who assume that they know better than everybody else and somehow have some god-given right to tell us how to live our lives.

Tell you what, why don't we ban beer drinking as well? Being drunk is anti-social, leads to health problems which the NHS has to fork out for and is one of the biggest causes of death. Or is that different from smoking which is anti-social, leads to health problems which the NHS has to fork out for and is one of the biggest causes of death?

Also, being fat. That's another cause of major health problems and kills lots of people. Big drain on the NHS, fat people are. Let's ban them. And not exercising, thats bad for you, so lets force everybody to exercise at least once a day.

I'm going to miss living in a society where adults aren't treated like children...

The smoking ban is a joke. It's a sad day when our civil liberties are taken away from us by people who assume that they know better than everybody else and somehow have some god-given right to tell us how to live our lives.

Tell you what, why don't we ban beer drinking as well? Being drunk is anti-social, leads to health problems which the NHS has to fork out for and is one of the biggest causes of death. Or is that different from smoking which is anti-social, leads to health problems which the NHS has to fork out for and is one of the biggest causes of death?

Also, being fat. That's another cause of major health problems and kills lots of people. Big drain on the NHS, fat people are. Let's ban them. And not exercising, thats bad for you, so lets force everybody to exercise at least once a day.

I'm going to miss living in a society where adults aren't treated like children...

Al this post tells me is people not taking responisbilty for their own lives . Whininging and then the goverment picking it up as an issue and enfocing what we should have done as ADULTS !
It is not your civil liberity to get yourself destructivly addicted to a chemical specificly designed to hook you as an addict . (you want tobacco go grow and refine it yourself !)

Fat people do not (well uinless their in flight some how and crush you ) cause by proxy conditions that lead to very unpleasent deaths.

Now while i believe totaly in the liberities and rights of the individual (google Liber Oz for a version i follow ) . It is also a good idea to encage ones brain before taking in a stubstance /food whatever of any sort

Al this post tells me is people not taking responisbilty for their own lives . Whininging and then the goverment picking it up as an issue and enfocing what we should have done as ADULTS !
It is not your civil liberity to get yourself destructivly addicted to a chemical specificly designed to hook you as an addict . (you want tobacco go grow and refine it yourself !)

Fat people do not (well uinless their in flight some how and crush you ) cause by proxy conditions that lead to very unpleasent deaths.

Now while i believe totaly in the liberities and rights of the individual (google Liber Oz for a version i follow ) . It is also a good idea to encage ones brain before taking in a stubstance /food whatever of any sort
For the last 25 years it has been my civil to become addicted.
As for engaging my brain, its that very small part of me that tells me I enjoy Smoking!
There is no need to grow my own tobacco, the government will legally sell this drug.
If the the goverrnment are so keen why not take the logical step and ban the sale of Cigarettes?
What is the problem with restricted smoking areas, which only fellow smokers inhabit?
I can agree with not inflicting what is basically a filthy habit on others, In addition I accept the ban gracefully and will abide by it.

What about the civil liberties of those who don't smoke? Conveniently forgotten in this particular rant ...

What about the civil liberties of those who don't smoke? Conveniently forgotten in this particular rant ...

As in your rights not to have your lungs polluted by second-hand smoke? Fair enough. So what's wrong with allowing pubs/restuarants to choose for themselves whether or not to allow their customers to smoke?

You'd then get smoke free pubs/restuarants where non-smokers can enjoy their food and beer without having to put up with second-hand smoke. You'd also have pubs/restuarants which do allow smoking to caters for the smokers. Bring market forces to bear on this issue rather this some knee-jerk reaction, half-baked law. Your civil liberties to enjoy a smoke-free environment are then protected, and so are mine.

Quite correct, also if anyone is caught breathing the smoke from my cigarette
I shall be looking for a contribution towards my smoking costs

Thats you,me and Slipper out in the cold then mate .:o

As in your rights not to have your lungs polluted by second-hand smoke? Fair enough. So what's wrong with allowing pubs/restuarants to choose for themselves whether or not to allow their customers to smoke?

You'd then get smoke free pubs/restuarants where non-smokers can enjoy their food and beer without having to put up with second-hand smoke. You'd also have pubs/restuarants which do allow smoking to caters for the smokers. Bring market forces to bear on this issue rather this some knee-jerk reaction, half-baked law. Your civil liberties to enjoy a smoke-free environment are then protected, and so are mine.

What about the staff?

I went out today to once more for the final time, light up in a boozer... I am fortunate enough to see both sides of the arguememt as I am one of the rare breed of true 'Social Smokers'.. I think on balance a no smoking ban is a good idea for smokers and no smokers alike.. If you want a fag go outside for a drag.. You will end up smoking 5 fags a night rather than 20 and enjoy them so much more.. The personnal freedom arguement is a different kettle of fish but one smokers can never win as no employer now can expose their staff to fag smoke, end of unfortunatly.. I can remember the smoking carriges on the trains.. i would never want to go back to that.. In 10 years time smoking will be as wierd as dial up internet..

The thing is, I've cut down from being a 20-a-day man to being the kind of chap who just enjoys a fag with a pint.

Those lying, cheating war-mongering ***** have banned the only ****ing cigarette I have! Couldn't they have banned the first cigarette of the morning, or the fag on the way to work or even the post coital fag? I'd have been fine with all of them, just leave me with my pub fag!

As a further point, did those ***** get away with their original plan of exempting one establishment and one establishment only from the ban? The House of Commons bar?

*****. It's just like everything else they do. Don't do we do, do what we say.

We're sending our kids to Private school, you enjoy state school, eh?
You should have MMR jabs, we'll take the chance, ta
Your kids are going to war, not my kids.
On the spot fines for being drunk? Nah, not with Euan still on the rampage.
Smoke? Don't mind if I do.

Oooooh, I hates them.

Why can't we just let people make up their minds? You non-smokers can have your own little pub with flowers and fresh air and stuff.

We'll go turn the walls yellow somewhere else.

Back