• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It is great, but the reality is, if Dulwich did make it into League 2 they'd charge substantially more than £10 per ticket, stop allowing alcohol and become like every other professional club - so are they going to stay in the Ryman Prem for eternity and forget that promotion push?

I bet Dulwich supporters don't demand success or players like we do.

We could charge a tenner but we wouldn't be able to pay very much in wages or be competitive.

It is great, but the reality is, if Dulwich did make it into League 2 they'd charge substantially more than £10 per ticket, stop allowing alcohol and become like every other professional club - so are they going to stay in the Ryman Prem for eternity and forget that promotion push?
You are getting old and cynical Old Timer

While I agree with what you are saying, that if they got into League 2 they would have to charge more, they are still 3 divisions below that.

Excellent Article

Can see a few lessons Southend could use.
If you give punters the off the field experience they want, you will attract a few more through the gate.
We cant put our admission prices to that level our good attendances this season show we have that about right.
I think when Steve Kavanagh joined he was shocked how little our fans spend at Roots Hall.
If you take out admisson money.
Well we have our onions back in the burgers and food's a bit better.
Stupid things still happen though. !!
A season ticket holder near me always bought 50/50 tickets and food and hot drinks in the ground.
One day he was a bit late so quickly bought some food outside to bring in and eat, due to the quees that would be at the kiosk. A steward refused him entry untill he had eat the food or leave it at the turnstiules.
Result. He refuses to purchase anything in the ground now. Who loses money Southend Utd of course. Due to stupid rules.
Our bars could be a goldmine (excuse the pun older supporters on Canvey) If we gave the fans what they want not who gives us the best deal (which is not as few will purchase the products) If we followed the example of Orient and Brighton and as in the article Dulwich Hamlet (although we could not allow drinking from bottles pitch side)
I mean in the South we have a bar and food consessions that dont open. So i and many dont bother waiting as you wont get anything before kick off or the whistle to start the second half.

Maybe, but I'm sure the Chairman wants the glamour of a league match at Roots Hall, the players all want promotion. To acheive that, sadly they'd have to sacrifice all that Leeboy (is it?) finds so alluring.

That may be true, but its not really the point of the article. Additionally for example one day the alcohol ban may change (stranger things have happened) , if it did then evidence of it working would no doubt be part of that change and this would be a good example

regardless- great article

I don't think its Leeboy

I wasn't sure, just saw the authors name.

That may be true, but its not really the point of the article. Additionally for example one day the alcohol ban may change (stranger things have happened) , if it did then evidence of it working would no doubt be part of that change and this would be a good example

regardless- great article

Not a chance. The powers that be still think that football fans are common oiks who'd fight at the drop of a hat, and sadly there are plenty who reinforce that view by living up to that pathetic stereotype.

I'm not sure there is anything that special about Dulwich, from my experience that is the going rate at that level?

I'm the author of the piece (and a daily SZ visitor). Was a little worried I'd get lynched on here, but thanks for all the really decent and constructive comments. Fingers crossed I'll be moving back to the area in the next year or two and will once again be a RH (or FF:pig:) regular!

Taking away my experiences of local sport makes me want to chat to Mr Martin - for starters, to tell him to improve our bar and serve up some grub in the ground to be proud of (not just onions in plastic burgers).

I know he will say we're holding out for FF, but how many more seasons can he keep giving that as an excuse. I took a couple of mates to RH last year (shocking 1-0 defeat to Wombles) and was actually embarrassed by the bar in the West Stand which looks dilapidated compared to a team in the Ryman Premier.

Anyway, I'll sign off for now. Fingers crossed Phil bags us promotion.

I'm the author of the piece (and a daily SZ visitor). Was a little worried I'd get lynched on here, but thanks for all the really decent and constructive comments. Fingers crossed I'll be moving back to the area in the next year or two and will once again be a RH (or FF:pig:) regular!

Taking away my experiences of local sport makes me want to chat to Mr Martin - for starters, to tell him to improve our bar and serve up some grub in the ground to be proud of (not just onions in plastic burgers).

I know he will say we're holding out for FF, but how many more seasons can he keep giving that as an excuse. I took a couple of mates to RH last year (shocking 1-0 defeat to Wombles) and was actually embarrassed by the bar in the West Stand which looks dilapidated compared to a team in the Ryman Premier.

Sorry for confusing you with one of SZ's long missed sons!

I think it is quite common to get good catering at Ryman grounds, I've experienced it regularly (Maldon and Tiptree deserve a particular mention). I rarely see it when you get into the league, makes me wonder if it is quite as feasible when catering for a much larger audience?

You might find it useful to know that the train from London to Southend takes under an hour and if you buy a railcard (a worthwhile investment IMO) costs under £10 for a return trip on weekends.

Back