• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Left Backs

WickfordBlue

Schoolboy
According to wikipedia, both Scott Malone, and George Friend's contracts run out in June. Friend had an option for a further year but Wolves didn't take it

Malone - no thanks, too weak for League Two (not saying that Herd isn't either)
Friend - most likely off to Exeter

Both Friend and Malone were far better than Herd, but because neither were SUFC players or had a long throw people thought they were crap

Billy Jones please.

Even if we do sign Lockwood he would not be the worst signing.... I hope.

Both Friend and Malone were far better than Herd, but because neither were SUFC players or had a long throw people thought they were crap

Have I missed something here? I thought Friend was about on par with Herd but Malone? He played better as a Left Winger and couldn't defend for ****. No way were either of them better than Herd.

Have I missed something here? I thought Friend was about on par with Herd but Malone? He played better as a Left Winger and couldn't defend for ****. No way were either of them better than Herd.

You've got them mixed up, it's Herd who can't defend for toffee.

Malone was actually pretty reasonable defensively, it was his distribution that let him down.

So I gather then you guys would not be happy if at the start of the season our no.1 LB was Herd?

I suppose I'd be happy to have an experienced left back as back-up, who can mentor Herd. Herd needs to learn the game, and needs a tough pre-season to really develop physically. Herd should have gone out on loan last season really when we had Malone here.

Ideally we'd get in a decent left-back though. A long throw doesn't make up for the fact that he's very poor defensively.

... and he won't be signing for us.

Any reason why you think that?

Only us and Dagenham showed interest in him when it was public knowledge that Crewe wanted rid.

Ideally, Billy Jones will come in on a free and Herd will go out on loan to help him.

Personally I'm more concerned about getting a RB in (and 2x CB and...).

Sankofa's gone. Francis is likely to go. At least we do have Johnny Herd to play at LB.

So I gather then you guys would not be happy if at the start of the season our no.1 LB was Herd?

I seriously don't think that we should be thinking about Herd, O'Keefe or Crawford as part of our 'starting eleven' for next season. All are good young lads, but they need time to learn their trade. Herd at times did well, but defensively he was caught out by bigger stronger players.

Fingers crossed Baldwin will be back, but that's it defensively! We need a new goalkeeper, two right backs, two or three CB's and at least another left back!

Now I come to think of it, we are struggling for a team of any sorts at the moment, I just hope that Tilly is already working his magic and convincing some L2 workhorses to come over and give Southend a go!

Back