• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
Owls eye exit for Clarke

Shrimpers interest: Leon Clarke could be on his way to Southend after his loan spell

29 May 2008
By Paul Thompson

WEDNESDAY could be ready to offload unlikely end-of-season hero Leon Clarke during this summer.
It is been claimed that the striker fancies a move back to Southend and that the Shrimpers may see him as the answer to their search for a striker.

The Owls will wait to see whether or not they receive a bid.

If they do get a reasonable offer - whether it is from Southend or another club - it is almost certain that they would cash in and use the money to strengthen the squad in other ways.

After a rocky start to Clarke's Hillsborough career, which led to his loan spell at Southend, the striker earned some affection among fans by scoring in the last two games of the season, against Leicester and Norwich, as the club escaped relegation.

But next season he again would be way down the pecking order when everyone is fit, with Akpo Sodje, Francis Jeffers, Deon Burton and Marcus Tudgay the main strikers.

Manager Brian Laws is already in the market for two or three players - with one, Burnley midfielder James O'Connor, in the bag - and will have to offload others if wants to pursue any further targets.

The Owls paid Wolves around £250,000 for Clarke in January last year and would to look to recoup at least a large proportion of that.

He has another year left on his contract.

It has been reported that Clarke realises that he will find it hard to get first-team opportunities at Hillsborough and that he has
also attracted interest from MK Dons.

Their boss, Paul Ince, was a colleague of the striker's at Wolves.

Clarke scored eight goals for Southend last season and was on the verge of a full transfer to Roots Hall in January but it fell through.

He also came in for some criticism from Southend at that time.

Their manager, Steve Tilson, wants to sign a striker this summer but so far it is not clear whether he will pursue Clarke.

article some one mentioned on other thread -

200k +

more I think about - Walker, Clarke, Barney - the more I'd do it -

but its not my money and my job title is not team manager SUFC ...(but will step in if asked)

I thought Leon Clarke totally disinterested and lazy when he palyed at the KM after Christmas, I would give him a wide berth.

I thought Leon Clarke totally disinterested and lazy when he palyed at the KM after Christmas, I would give him a wide berth.

In fairness a lot of the lads were awful that day......He was dire then but I dont think that was a true reflection of his ability......

I suppose if we gave him a one year contract with an option for us to renew for another year, that would be good as if he turned out to be a flop next season, we could just let him go in may 2009

We should just steer clear if him, the whole attitude when the chips are down is wrong and not the run through brick wall type of forward we need!!

id rather have Francis Jeffers out of that pick of Sheff Wed strikers

I have always believed that people deserve a second chance. We all make mistakes. The Clarke and Barney partnership would scare a lot of defences in league 1.

- G

To be honest I think you can get better than Clarke, not sure he is the type of striker you want alonside Barnard. I still think you'll get Hefferman, big shake up going on at Rovers, he will be amongst a number who will leave including Jason Price.

To be honest I think you can get better than Clarke, not sure he is the type of striker you want alonside Barnard. I still think you'll get Hefferman, big shake up going on at Rovers, he will be amongst a number who will leave including Jason Price.

Wouldnt mind JJ Price he would be a great player alongside barney or walker, i still like him dispite what he did in the play offs, but saying that if a sufc player did it we wouldnt be moaning.

He looked a bit podgy on the clips I saw of him at the end of the season.

He's definitely got class, but can Tilson channel it for a whole season and not let him become a disruptive element in the dressing room.

He scored more goals last season than Harrold, Charlie and Foran put together so he could be worth a punt at £150k.

I have always believed that people deserve a second chance. We all make mistakes. The Clarke and Barney partnership would scare a lot of defences in league 1.

- G

I agree get the boy back Steve ASAP.... I reckon he has learnt his lesson

Clarke and barney up front.... next year they will score at least 35 goal between them...

I thought Tilson openly stated we didn't sign him permanently because he didn't like his attitude, and it put him off? That he kept himself to himself in training, and things, giving no real indicator that he'd like to remain a Blues player...

I don't think I dreamt this.

If there are any question marks like these remaining, we should look elsewhere. Because there are good strikers available.

I would steer clear of Clarke. Remember all the managers apparently telling Tilson and Brush about his bad attitude etc.

Not worth the risk

I would steer clear of Clarke. Remember all the managers apparently telling Tilson and Brush about his bad attitude etc.

Not worth the risk

If T & B consider to take him, as with all potential trouble makers can be a good policy to give them some responsibility - can transform them.

Make him vice captain ? That would give him the problem and the true test of whether he will show the required commitment to the cause.

For me, Clarke's goals reversed the trend of the inability of the team to score, or even look like scoring and he has loads of goals in him, for sure.

A pairing of Clarke & Barnard would terrorise Div 1 defences.

If T & B consider to take him, as with all potential trouble makers can be a good policy to give them some responsibility - can transform them.

Make him vice captain ? That would give him the problem and the true test of whether he will show the required commitment to the cause.

For me, Clarke's goals reversed the trend of the inability of the team to score, or even look like scoring and he has loads of goals in him, for sure.

Are you sure?!

Would think players such as Bailey or McCormack (or even Peter Clarke) would have something to say about that...

Back