• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Lincoln City FC vs Southend Utd 16th Aug 2019 15:00hrs

What's would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
U can't drop Charlie. He'll be an unknown quantity for them to think about. Bolger will deal with Humphrys.

Would start Kelman, with Humps and Theo on the bench to give us options if Bolger keeps him quiet. Coxy is a no-brainer, either up front or sitting back as he did on Tuesday. Midfield remains my biggest worry.

Lincoln so far sold over 8000 tickets for Saturday's game.Anyone know how many we have sold?
So should be a decent atmosphere

Lincoln have come along way, blimey over 8000 tickets sold..... I can see Southend selling out as well if I am honest .... we are old Rivals from the 80s

If Kiernan is fit would have him in midfield along with Milligan in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

I wouldn't have Humphreys near the team at the moment...something not right with him. If he still has problems with his face then wait for it to be ok...if it's a mental thing because of his face then I don't know what to do...he just looks so out of sorts...off the pace..even disinterested at times. Cracking player but does not seem right..

I wouldn't have Humphreys near the team at the moment...something not right with him. If he still has problems with his face then wait for it to be ok...if it's a mental thing because of his face then I don't know what to do...he just looks so out of sorts...off the pace..even disinterested at times. Cracking player but does not seem right..

I thought this too. Not sure if he’s still not 100% physically, or if he just needs to work on breaking down the psychological barrier. It was a really serious injury so is bound to take time. But I sense Bond is also wary that Humphrys isn’t 100% in one way or another.

Bishop
Elvis, White, Shaughnessy, Ralph
Ndukwu, Milligan, Hutchinson, McLaughlin
Cox, Kelman

Hutchinson over Mantom for me, as Milligan and Mantom together just seems completely flat. Need a bit of positivity in the middle of the park.

Also desperately hope Charlie starts. No point having competition for places if good performances go unrewarded. He had a blinder on Tuesday and scored two good goals against decent opposition. Has to start.

Interesting the focus on Bolger. It was another former player, Jack Payne, that produced a MoM performance in midweek at his former club...

Going to be tough. Reckon we will do well to get away with less than 3-0. Don’t be fooled by tuesdays result, yes we won, but against a team bottom of league 2 and who played with ten men for the last 15 mins. We were awful first half after they scored and if we do the same against Lincoln we will get smashed

The defence only settled down once white came on so staggered that people are omitting him from the team

Kelman scored two good goals but overall struggled physically against the big CB so for me Humphrys must start with Cox

Bishop
Elvis Shaughnessy White Ralph
Macca Mantom Milligan Ndukwoo
Cox Humphrys

After proving the other night that 4-4-2 is the only way the players know how to play and did it well, I wouldn't want to mess around with different formations again!

What did you make of my match report and the notes regarding how we played slightly differently second half?

4231 all day long for me it’s the most adaptable formation out there and allows instant transition without any change in personnel, into 451 (under pressure), 433, 4411 and of course everyone’s favourite 442.....

To suggest full time professional footballers only understand how to play 442 is ludicrous.

Humphrys looked fine when he came on v Cov. He was an instant hit with the 3 Aussie rules playing lads next to me. Looks like Ben Stokes, socks down, big calfs etc.

His efforts would not of been missed by the Blackpool scout. Hence the clear instruction to stick an elbow in his face as soon as you have gauged the ref.

There lies Bonds problem. Bolger will win a masked Humphrys battle with ease. He will also jump all over long balls up to Kelman and Cox. However a team that stick to his passing principles will create space for Elvis and Ralph to put in some decent crosses or even pull the ball back along the floor etc.

Now if you have a well coached 17 year old who can find that crucial poachers yard of space in the box. Then he can use his natural ability to shoot or head first time, or even have a quick first touch and finish with his second.

What did you make of my match report and the notes regarding how we played slightly differently second half?

4231 all day long for me it’s the most adaptable formation out there and allows instant transition without any change in personnel, into 451 (under pressure), 433, 4411 and of course everyone’s favourite 442.....

To suggest full time professional footballers only understand how to play 442 is ludicrous.

Agree- and as has been pointed out the formation that was affective verses Stevenage was really a 4231 (but called 442 to keep people happy I guess). Cox was in a deeper role with McL and Hutchinson playing a bit narrower 1. giving better control numerically in CM 2. allowing space out wide for Elvis & nathan to get forward. I suspect this is exactly how we will set up Sat.

Have to start Kelman, guy will be buzzing and confident, which is exactly what you need in the team.

Personally I would start with the same side (maybe Oxley will come in) and a change at the back if Lennon is out

I suppose people saying it was a 4-2-3-1 the other night is ok and Cox playing a bit deeper fine so away yes but proper 4-4-2 when we play at home please :Smile2:

Lincoln have been playing 4-4-1-1 with Payne sitting behind the striker, his best position. He's been playing really well, as he normally does at the start of the season.

So do we match up 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 or will Bond go for a more defensive lineup again? It will be interesting to see what we do in attack. Cox and Kelman against Bostwick and Bolger seems a mismatch. Then again, do we want to play Humphrys and just pump it up to him against two big centre halves? Probably not.

Whatever we do, we have to stay compact and defend as a unit. And Bishop has to start!

And Bishop has to start!

I thought Oxley had a good game last week. Even when he was being fouled under pressure he still got the ball clear. Shame it hit the unlucky Lennon and went in for an oggy.

Without him the scoreline would have been embarrassing by H/T. Lincoln might not be the place to risk young Bish......Not until we get a league win under our belt anyway.

I thought Oxley had a good game last week. Even when he was being fouled under pressure he still got the ball clear. Shame it hit the unlucky Lennon and went in for an oggy.

LOL at that being got the ball clear.

Back