• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Living wage

davew

Coach
Some big company's are stating paying their employees the LIVING WAGE will affect them badly and they will have to put up their prices etc.

All I can say they are (must not swear) rubbish company's.

I rem we had the same ref minimum wage rules.

Some big company's are stating paying their employees the LIVING WAGE will affect them badly and they will have to put up their prices etc.

All I can say they are (must not swear) rubbish company's.

I rem we had the same ref minimum wage rules.

So when these rubbish companies go broke, they won't be able to pay ANY WAGE. Wages need to be driven by supply and demand, not by each person's need for the latest electronic toys.

Why should you be paid for something that has no value? Like teaching Pigeon English to a few sweaty dagos.

Things have changed since Adam Smith's time.

I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of Value added.

Leaving aside the casual racism of your reply, you'll find that most residents of Catalonia consider themselves to be Catalan rather than Spanish, which is what I assume you mean by "sweaty dagos."

In any case, a lot of my teaching these days is at the LFB, preparing (mainly French) teenagers for their Cambridge exams.

These exams certainly have value in the marketplace. They're internationally recognised.

(As it happens, I don't work for minimum/living wage rates.I'm sure you don't either).

Last edited:
So when these rubbish companies go broke, they won't be able to pay ANY WAGE. Wages need to be driven by supply and demand, not by each person's need for the latest electronic toys.

The issue here of course is that we have an endless supply of low skilled workers throughout Europe (and beyond) that have kept wages depressed along with the Tax credit system.

The issue here of course is that we have an endless supply of low skilled workers throughout Europe (and beyond) that have kept wages depressed along with the Tax credit system.

This is happening world -wide (as you say) and not just in Europe.

In fact, it is has been modern, 21st century capitalism's basic response to the 2008 crash.

See Paul Mason's excellent Postcapitalism:A Guide to our Future, for a good analysis of the contemporary situation.

It's an interesting point.

I have worked for a couple of blue blooded US banks and the ridiculous compensation for the guys in sales and trading is market driven only in the sense that there are a tiny group of companies competing for the best performers.

The talent pool in this case is almost a closed shop and the only way in is via the graduate scheme.

In my area of business (I write software) salaries are lower (but still pretty decent) because there is a flow of talent to and from other industries.

The one thing that will happen is that companies will increase their prices to reflect the increase in salaries this measure will force to happen so all of us (including the minimum wage earners) will pay more for products thereby quickly negating any benefit of increased wages and therefore maintaining the status quo. Seems pointless to me.

The one thing that will happen is that companies will increase their prices to reflect the increase in salaries this measure will force to happen so all of us (including the minimum wage earners) will pay more for products thereby quickly negating any benefit of increased wages and therefore maintaining the status quo. Seems pointless to me.

So are you saying that the low paid should not get an increase purely because they are low paid? Surely the essence of the living wage is that it enables workers to earn enough to live.

Things have changed since Adam Smith's time.

I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of Value added.

Leaving aside the casual racism of your reply, you'll find that most residents of Catalonia consider themselves to be Catalan rather than Spanish, which is what I assume you mean by "sweaty dagos."

In any case, a lot of my teaching these days is at the LFB, preparing (mainly French) teenagers for their Cambridge exams.

These exams certainly have value in the marketplace. They're internationally recognised.

(As it happens, I don't work for minimum/living wage rates.I'm sure you don't either).

I agree, how dare you use casual racism with a phrase like 'sweaty dagos' Rusty, you swine. You 'of course' should have used the phrase 'coloureds' far more acceptable, wouldn't you agree Patriot?

Indeed it was. I am quite at ease with my own prejudices, whilst you clearly aren't.

It wasn't prejudice, on my part,at all.

Merely "a momentary lapse of reason," while I was multi-tasking, (something I don't do at all well), ie listening to the commentary of one of our games on BP, while replying hurriedly to someone's comment in the politics section of SZ.

It wasn't prejudice, on my part,at all.

Merely "a momentary lapse of reason," while I was multi-tasking, (something I don't do at all well), ie listening to the commentary of one of our games on BP, while replying hurriedly to someone's comment in the politics section of SZ.

tumblr_inline_ns3lhlCRcN1qmj077_540.png

I've never seen you raise a substantive issue. You're not trying to frame the terms of the discussion like your pal A.S.S., are you?

Clearly you either don't have the intellectual rigour, (or more likely can't be bothered), to sensibly discuss any of the serious points raised on this thread.

Like your current pin-up boy Donald Trump, you prefer to abuse or ridicule people, since that's so much easier than thinking an issue through.

Like Donald Trump, you're just a bully and wouldn't recognise a serious argument if it hit you in the face.

People should be paid a reasonable wage for a days work - that would seem to be a fair expectation. If product prices go up because of that then presumably the were previously underpriced. We are going to pay you a wage you can't live on because if we pay you fairly the product you make will be too expensive for you to buy - doesn't sound that convincing.

Back