• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Loanee Watch 2020/21

Taylor, RHF, Olayinka, Cordner......I think that's all. So 4/22 = 18%. Have I missed someone....?

For comparison Barrow have five loanees, Col Ewe have three, Grimsby have six, Walsall have four.

We've had 8 loanees this season - Green, Sterling, Bass and Montgomery have all returned to their parent clubs. I think we're only allowed to name 5 in a match day squad anyway.

Taylor, RHF, Olayinka, Cordner......I think that's all. So 4/22 = 18%. Have I missed someone....?

For comparison Barrow have five loanees, Col Ewe have three, Grimsby have six, Walsall have four.

So only 3 first team "regulars"-assuming Cordner's going to get a regular place in the line up if JW's out for a bit ie a little less than 33.3 % if my maths is right.

Last edited:
What do people think about Rob Howard?

I've seen quite a bit of Rob Howard in the U23s, where he is often captain. He's a versatile player, playing at centre-back when required as well as right-back. I think when he was originally with the club (up to the age of 14, before joining Arsenal) he was a holding midfielder.

I think he was moved to primarily become a full-back during his time at Colchester United (16-18) because they had concerns about his pace and passing in a central midfield role. I wouldn't say he's an athletic full-back in the style of Elvis Bwomono, but he's got a decent delivery from the right in open play and has set up a fair few goals in the U23s from that position. Again, he's not the quickest full-back, but neither is Tom Clifford and he's proved that you can perform really well in League 2 as long as you have a good defensive base.

I think Rob reads the game really well, he's composed with and organised without the ball and he's good at bringing that out of his team-mates as well. He also has a strong work-ethic and, being locally-based, has an affinity with the club. Hopefully he'll do well with Kings Lynn Town and that will be a good base for him to move forward from.

Thought that was Ron Howard? :Winking: (A question inspired by the zoom meeting) .What % of our current first team squad of 22 is comprised of loanees?

We don't really have a squad of 22; that's the maximum limit for players over the age of 21. Only two of our current loanees contribute to that 22 (Cordner and Hackett-Fairchild). Olayinka and Kyle Taylor are both listed as Under 21 players.

If it's a question of reliance on loanees, then only one (Kyle Taylor) has appeared in over half of our league fixtures this season (25 out of 37). Hackett-Fairchild has featured in 16 (and started 13) of the 18 league matches since he arrived, whilst Olayinka has featured in 17 (and started 16) of the 19 league matches he has been available for.

Loan players account for 5,547 of the 36,630 minutes of League Two football played by Southend United players this season (15.14%).

I've seen quite a bit of Rob Howard in the U23s, where he is often captain. He's a versatile player, playing at centre-back when required as well as right-back. I think when he was originally with the club (up to the age of 14, before joining Arsenal) he was a holding midfielder.

I think he was moved to primarily become a full-back during his time at Colchester United (16-18) because they had concerns about his pace and passing in a central midfield role. I wouldn't say he's an athletic full-back in the style of Elvis Bwomono, but he's got a decent delivery from the right in open play and has set up a fair few goals in the U23s from that position. Again, he's not the quickest full-back, but neither is Tom Clifford and he's proved that you can perform really well in League 2 as long as you have a good defensive base.

I think Rob reads the game really well, he's composed with and organised without the ball and he's good at bringing that out of his team-mates as well. He also has a strong work-ethic and, being locally-based, has an affinity with the club. Hopefully he'll do well with Kings Lynn Town and that will be a good base for him to move forward from.

At 21 it feels like a now or never time period for him (and many others in that squad). Timing wise, I guess he might be a little unlucky to have Elvis, who I think is 1 year older, infront of him.

At 21 it feels like a now or never time period for him (and many others in that squad). Timing wise, I guess he might be a little unlucky to have Elvis, who I think is 1 year older, infront of him.

Yeah, I think that's a fair assessment, but there are a lot of contributing factors at play, one of which will be what division we'll be playing in as a club. We have an option on Rob for 2021/22, I believe, so I think he's probably in a good position either way; if we stay up then hopefully Elvis would stay and Rob would be a useful back-up with the experience he's got at the end of this season at a good level, whereas if we go down you'd expect Elvis would unfortunately be one of the players we'd lose (and for his career, if he got the opportunity to stay in the league we shouldn't begrudge that), so Rob would be in line to potentially get more regular opportunities.

I do agree that there will be a lot of decisions to be made on the current U23s. This year's second-year scholars are getting a chance to step-up between now and the end of the season, and then behind them there are the likes of Kenny Coker (who already has a few first-team appearances) and Tayo Adedoja, who has been a regular for large chunks of the season, in the U23s as first-years.

We have options on Harry Seaden, Ide Osimeh, Miles Mitchell-Nelson, Lewis Gard (who I think it's been suggested will be offered something), Michael Klass, Terrell Egbri, O'Shane Stewart and Matt Rush and decisions to make on some others, you would think.

Yeah, I think that's a fair assessment, but there are a lot of contributing factors at play, one of which will be what division we'll be playing in as a club. We have an option on Rob for 2021/22, I believe, so I think he's probably in a good position either way; if we stay up then hopefully Elvis would stay and Rob would be a useful back-up with the experience he's got at the end of this season at a good level, whereas if we go down you'd expect Elvis would unfortunately be one of the players we'd lose (and for his career, if he got the opportunity to stay in the league we shouldn't begrudge that), so Rob would be in line to potentially get more regular opportunities.

I do agree that there will be a lot of decisions to be made on the current U23s. This year's second-year scholars are getting a chance to step-up between now and the end of the season, and then behind them there are the likes of Kenny Coker (who already has a few first-team appearances) and Tayo Adedoja, who has been a regular for large chunks of the season, in the U23s as first-years.

We have options on Harry Seaden, Ide Osimeh, Miles Mitchell-Nelson, Lewis Gard (who I think it's been suggested will be offered something), Michael Klass, Terrell Egbri, O'Shane Stewart and Matt Rush and decisions to make on some others, you would think.
Michael Klass has been here for ages!

Michael Klass has been here for ages!

Almost 4 years. He appeared as a trialist for the U18s against Cambridge United on 22nd April 2017 before signing.

Other future first-teamers in that 3-1 defeat were Nathan Bishop, Miles Mitchell-Nelson, Taylor Curran (for Swindon Town), Eren Kinali, Dru Yearwood, Emile Acquah (who scored our goal), Matt Rush and Terrell Egbri.

Rob Howard played his third match on loan for King's Lynn on Easter Monday at home to Altrincham. Two late goals gave Ian Culverhouse's side a 2-0 win and their second win in a row. The Linnets had only won two games all year prior to Rob joining on loan.

It was also the second match in a row Howard had lined up against a namesake of one of our Wembley 2015 substitutes with the initials JP. After facing a midfield Jack Payne (not that one) last week, this time it was Joe Piggott (not that one) up front. That seems like a clear glitch in this Champ Manager save and probably means we should just start a new game afresh.

Since the last update Rob Howard has played in 6 defeats (1-2, 4-2, 2-0, 0-3, 0-4, 5-1) and 2 draws (0-0 and 1-1). Their game yesterday was called off because of a waterlogged pitch. They have 4 matches remaining and are in 21st place with only Barnet below them (and Dover, who failed to fulfill their fixtures).

Another game, another heavy defeat for Rob Howard as Kings Lynn slump to a 4-1 defeat at Chesterfield.

Last game of the season for Rob Howard as Kings Lynn drew 4-4.

A tough loan spell in terms of results. Won 2 of the first 3 games, then didn't win for the rest of the season. 10 defeats from 16 games while his side regularly conceded 3+ goals.

Would have been great experience for him to feature regularly in a very competitive league. Wonder if he will be in the plans for us next season.

Apparently Rob Howard was one of King Lynn best player as he seem to get an rating of 7/10 in NL papers. He picked up vital experience at this level and if Elvis decided to leave, Rob is an perfect replacement.

Apparently Rob Howard was one of King Lynn best player as he seem to get an rating of 7/10 in NL papers. He picked up vital experience at this level and if Elvis decided to leave, Rob is an perfect replacement.
Agree if Elvis leaves we have a ready made replacement in Rob Howard

Back