• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Longest words in the English language

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
We're still ages off the start of the season so nonsense threads are still order of the day. So, for those of you that like obscure stuff, see what you can come up with on the longest words in the English language.

My starter for 10 is:

floccinaucinihilipilification - which is the estimation of something as worthless

This one's always the favourite - antidisestablishmentarianism....meaning the removal of the Anglican church's status in England, Scotland and Wales in C19.

Schadenfraude. It's German as well, so extra points.

Anatidaephobia - the fear that a duck i watching you.

Fergietime - Takes as long as it needs until Utd score

Seeing as the OED is forever accepting American *******isation of Queen's English I see no reason why this thread can't make up a few more like this. How about for****sakeTillypleasemakeasubstitution. Meaning when all around apart from one can spot the obvious

We're still ages off the start of the season so nonsense threads are still order of the day. So, for those of you that like obscure stuff, see what you can come up with on the longest words in the English language.

My starter for 10 is:

floccinaucinihilipilification - which is the estimation of something as worthless

That is the longest word in the English language so you might as well close it now! However a favourite word of mine is sesquipedalian. When applied to a person is someone who is longwinded and uses long words.

That is the longest word in the English language so you might as well close it now! However a favourite word of mine is sesquipedalian. When applied to a person is someone who is longwinded and uses long words.

actually it's not - it's pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

but you can artificially create new words and so on, so the definition is meaningless.

actually the longest chemical word for titin is 190,000 letters...

Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminylleuc yllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenstiylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasp araginylthreonylphenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglyc......xisoleucine

but you can artificially create new words and so on, so the definition is meaningless.

Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminylleuc yllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenstiylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasp araginylthreonylphenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglyc......xisoleucine

I didn't know that.

*Makes mental note to shoe-horn that into a conversation with my wife this evening*

I thought the 174,698th letter was an 'e', not an 'a'.

I was going to mention this one. You'd look a right plonker throwing it into an every day conversation but it's possibly the best word in the English language. Comes from Latin: sesqui- meaning one and a half, and pedalian- meaning an association with foot or feet (think pedals, pedestrian etc)

So sesquipedalian quite literally means using words that are "one and a half foot long".

I was going to mention this one. You'd look a right plonker throwing it into an every day conversation but it's possibly the best word in the English language. Comes from Latin: sesqui- meaning one and a half, and pedalian- meaning an association with foot or feet (think pedals, pedestrian etc)

So sesquipedalian quite literally means using words that are "one and a half foot long".

Is that you Susie Dent?

Back