• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Looking back is it better to lose the opening game of the season?

DTS

The Business
Looking back in recent memory our best seasons seem to have come when we lost the opening game of the season and our worst when we won it.

Only two wins I can recall in recent years are the Championship season when we beat Stoke I think and also Wignalls first game vs CHelts. Both seasons were pretty poor.

In comparison we lose to East Londons scummiest last season and went on the hit the play offs, the year we went up as champions we lost at home to Port Vale and the season before that we lost at home to Cheltenham I think before going up via Cardiff..

Based upon past performance are you happy to accept a defeat on Saturday?

i tend not to believe in football superstition... i would rather get 3 points and settle the nerves.

edit - i think this is one of our unusual records that i would like to break!

Last edited:
No, a defeat when morale is so low amongst supporters will not be good for anyone.

Historic stats and superstition mean nothing.

3 points please, but against a newly promoted side full of confidence might not be the outcome.

First game of the season with a heaving crowd, a win and many will turn up next home game , lose and they may not.

Not the way i work but that does happen .

3 points please and then carry the momentuem forward .

Would obviously love a win on Saturday, but will not panic if we don't get one, as we are renowned slow starters in recent years.

3 points and a confidence boost or ridiculous superstition, i know what I'd choose.

Looking back in recent memory our best seasons seem to have come when we lost the opening game of the season and our worst when we won it.

Only two wins I can recall in recent years are the Championship season when we beat Stoke I think and also Wignalls first game vs CHelts. Both seasons were pretty poor.

In comparison we lose to East Londons scummiest last season and went on the hit the play offs, the year we went up as champions we lost at home to Port Vale and the season before that we lost at home to Cheltenham I think before going up via Cardiff..

Based upon past performance are you happy to accept a defeat on Saturday?

Didn't we beat Brighton 2-0 (Carruthers and Lee) and Cheltenham 2-1 and did nothing neither of those seasons either.

There we go....proof positive that a posh win on saturday will see us promoted.

Or are you just feeling a bit pessimistic about our chances on Saturday Dave. So taking comfort of recent history stating an opening day defeat is not always the end of the world?

I hear what you're saying but I really wouldn't want to give Peterborough the impetus of an away win to start their challenge in L1. Some other teams in the division I maybe wouldn't mind, but not them.

This has probably been mentioned elsewhere but I think in both 1971 and 1986 we lost 2-0 to Peterborough on the first day of the season, admittedly away, and ended up getting promoted in both seasons.

It's not so much losing the first game that is a good thing but if, say, we somehow won 3 or 4-0 on Saturday that would only paper over the obvious cracks there are at the moment and possibly give false hope.

I will settle for a scrappy win therefore, or a 2-0 defeat.

I think the key thing is not to panic if we do lose on Saturday. Remember that last season we lost three of our first four league games and in the season we got promoted from League 2 we lost three of our first five and only drew the other two.

I think the key thing is not to panic if we do lose on Saturday. Remember that last season we lost three of our first four league games and in the season we got promoted from League 2 we lost three of our first five and only drew the other two.

Wishful thinking I fear. Some people are panicking already and a ball hasn't even been kicked yet!!!

Wishful thinking I fear. Some people are panicking already and a ball hasn't even been kicked yet!!!

Don't worry, I've been on this board long enough to know that there will be plenty who won't take my advice if we lose. ;)

Back