• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

maher? do we really need him... NO!

J

The Chameleon
As far as i can see, before maher went, we were drawing all the time, with no passion about the side..
next thing you know, he's out and the first 2 games we win 3-0!
barrett is our leader now! if tilly sticks to his comments about earning you place in the side, maher surely can not walk straight back in.. if he wasn't captain, im sure he wouldnt make the first 11 week in week out..

No disrespect to Cheltenham or Rochdale but they aren't very good teams. Admittedly away at Chester was not a good result, but the whole team played rubbish that day. Previous draws to that have been difficult games, such as Lincoln, Bristol Rovers, Scunthorpe etc. I do agree though that the time seems to be playing well without him. However, things could have turned out very differently today as we were NOT the better team in the first half.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Mar. 25 2005,19:58)]if he wasn't captain, im sure he wouldnt make the first 11 week in week out..
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sorry while I laugh myself silly.

We can only thank McCormack for comming in a doing a great job, and im sure Kev will be the first to do so. Im happy for tilly to pick who ever he wants, if he comes back fine, if he doesnt fine, its done us wel so far!

Mahar have to play twice better than what he did before he miss the Cheltenham game - In the past, we would have missed him in middle of the park - 2 clean sheet, 6 goals & 6 points, what more I can ask for that??

Mind you, before we won 3-0 at Cheltenham, its used to be graveyard for Southend Utd as they are our jink team who we cannot seem to beat - we did them without Mahar.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Mar. 25 2005,19:58)]As far as i can see, before maher went, we were drawing all the time, with no passion about the side..
next thing you know, he's out and the first 2 games we win 3-0!
Against two mid-tablers at the end of the season. I think the difference is more likely to have been Freddy becoming electric and Gray's finishing being deadly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Mar. 25 2005,20:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Mar. 25 2005,19:58)]if he wasn't captain, im sure he wouldnt make the first 11 week in week out..
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry while I laugh myself silly.
no apologies, i dont have to hide the fact that i think maher is awful and is well past his sell by date at the club.. so laugh away my friend
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Mar. 25 2005,21:47)]Sorry while I laugh myself silly.
no apologies, i dont have to hide the fact that i think maher is awful and is well past his sell by date at the club.. so laugh away my friend  
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]
Check the "assists" stats for this year. He's tucked one behind Beagrie as the player in the division most likely to lay on a goal for one of his colleagues. I could go on, but your post is such a load of b******s that I can't even be arsed to disagree. So yep, you're right, Maher is crap, so is Eastwood and so are we. I also think that Tilly is a freeloading, useless, fool who has done nothing for this club but take the pay packet for 15 years. Tilson and Maher out, sack the board zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzz
upside.gif

Without question I'd have Maher as the first name on the teamsheet on Monday. I'd leave Bentley out.

I don't think you can play Maher & McCormack in the same midfield. McCormack is a ball winner who sits there and lets the rest of the midfield play. I don't know if you'd want to have Maher be the guy alongside him as Kev has never been the best at getting forward and supporting the front two.

McCormack & Bentley for me against Cambridge. King Kev on the bench.

I thought that Maher done absolutely nothing today. He seemed invisible on the pitch. Surely nobody could disagree with that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Mar. 25 2005,22:05)]I don't think you can play Maher & McCormack in the same midfield. McCormack is a ball winner who sits there and lets the rest of the midfield play. I don't know if you'd want to have Maher be the guy alongside him as Kev has never been the best at getting forward and supporting the front two.

McCormack & Bentley for me against Cambridge. King Kev on the bench.
I think McCormack can do the getting forward bit (although he can't shoot) - he did on occassions today and a lot in the first half at Cheltenham. At Cheltenham this left us a bit exposed at times in the first half (he sat deeper, ala Maher, in the second half as he did for most of today) but with Maher along side him it wouldn't be a problem.

I just think the potential for McCormack and Maher to control the midfield together and spray the ball around is huge.

I agree to an extent but Bentley offers a lot in terms of height and physical strength which is vital at this level. Plus he has a pretty competent knack of arriving timely in the box, a la our second goal today. Maher and Bentley's partnership has served us well all season and although McCormacks done well in Kev's absence, I'll be very surprised if he starts on Monday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (One O'Clock At The Crane @ Mar. 25 2005,22:16)]I thought that Maher done absolutely nothing today.  He seemed invisible on the pitch.  Surely nobody could disagree with that?
average performance i thought, yeah agreed...
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Mar. 25 2005,22:24)]I agree to an extent but Bentley offers a lot in terms of height and physical strength which is vital at this level. Plus he has a pretty competent knack of arriving timely in the box, a la our second goal today. Maher and Bentley's partnership has served us well all season and although McCormacks done well in Kev's absence, I'll be very surprised if he starts on Monday.
Huzzah! Someone else who is a fan of Benno.

When Bentley is playing well the team plays well. He had a quiet first half, so did we, he got more involved second half and we consequently looked a far better team. Also his off the ball running is superb, he continually creates space for the likes of Freddy to exploit.

Six foot two, eyes of blue, Mark Bentley's after you!

Bentley played better today because he was alongside someone who was happy to do all the donkey work for him. I was actually watching him for some reason in the build up to our second goal. He'd made a run forward but the move had broken down. He turned to go back to midfield but then decided to stay forward instead, then the ball gets lofted forwards, Eastwood takes the defenders out of the game with his glorious first touch, shoots and the ball comes back to Bentley at the edge of the box.

Point is, if it had been Maher playing today, Bentley would have had to do more on the defensive side of things and probably wouldn't have been anywhere near where he ended up being.

Back