• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Make Roots Hall A Smoke free Stadium!

Well considering smoking will be banned in all public places in the next few years then I don't see what difference it would make for the club to bring the date forward at Roots Hall.

If you want to smoke then I am sure you can wait 90 minutes once you have left the ground - seems fairly reasonable !

I absolutely hate smoking I really do. But am I alone in associating childhood visits to the hall with the smell of a well puffed pipe. I really miss that smell. God I'm getting an even sadder sad old git
biggrin.gif

I am a Southend supporter and I deal with the inevitable nerves by killing myself with cigarettes. But hey! Lets do the right thing. No more smoking at the hall. Draconian? Whilst we are at it lets ban tea drinking. I always worry that someone bringing their cuppa back to the seats is going to spill it on someone and disfigure them for life. What about burgers? imagine having one of those accidentally pushed through your smiling features. Then of course there is the amount of noise people make eating and drinking, slurping and burping. Ban it all. Oh! Aftershave and perfume. Offensive. Ban it. Farting, swearing , talking, coughing, breathing. You guessed it, ban the lot. Did you know that some people actually come to matches and enjoy themselves. Not just smiling but laughing. Out loud! Ban it! Ban it! Ban it! God I need a ciggy after that little outburst. Damn it. Not allowed to smoke in the house.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ April 26 2005,11:28)]I am a Southend supporter and I deal with the inevitable nerves by killing myself with cigarettes. But hey! Lets do the right thing. No more smoking at the hall. Draconian? Whilst we are at it lets ban tea drinking. I always worry that someone bringing their cuppa back to the seats is going to spill it on someone and disfigure them for life. What about burgers? imagine having one of those accidentally pushed through your smiling features. Then of course there is the amount of noise people make eating and drinking, slurping and burping. Ban it all. Oh! Aftershave and perfume. Offensive. Ban it. Farting, swearing , talking, coughing, breathing. You guessed it, ban the lot. Did you know that some people actually come to matches and enjoy themselves. Not just smiling but laughing. Out loud! Ban it! Ban it! Ban it! God I need a ciggy after that little outburst. Damn it. Not allowed to smoke in the house.
Really need that sarcastic smiley don't we.

Question is, when smoking's banned in the house and the kids are in the garden and it's also banned in public, where do you go?

Ban smoking now!

If you can't make it through a match without smoking try chewing skoal bandits.

upside.gif
Sorry. Guess we could become the founder members of a new underground movement. Or maybe get a job blowing the smoke for the new pope at the vatican. Could be a long wait in between ciggies though.

With TTK on this one Ban smoking. Alhtough there are no smoking areas in the Hall they are not adhered too or enforced.

If you don't give a @*$! well whats the point in replying?

As someone mentioned the smell of ciggys wafting acorss the terrace was part of going to footy.Back then though you could move around the terrace to get away from it if you didn't like it. But unfortuantely when you are crow-barred into a plastic seat and someone lights up in front of you and beside you giving you a constant plume of smoke blowing in your face it's not pleasant and you can't get away.
mad.gif

Can't you put killing yourself on hold just for 45 minutes at a time?
rock.gif

Like i said i always wait until half time. If they impliment a ban ,but say that you can smoke at half time i dont see much of a problem. Everybody is a winner.???

I too wait till HT then go down to one of the more "open" areas.

Even though I smoke, the bloke at Cambridge sitting next to me chain smoking roll ups did take things a little far......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ April 26 2005,11:28)]I am a Southend supporter and I deal with the inevitable nerves by killing myself with cigarettes. But hey! Lets do the right thing. No more smoking at the hall. Draconian? Whilst we are at it lets ban tea drinking. I always worry that someone bringing their cuppa back to the seats is going to spill it on someone and disfigure them for life. What about burgers? imagine having one of those accidentally pushed through your smiling features. Then of course there is the amount of noise people make eating and drinking, slurping and burping. Ban it all. Oh! Aftershave and perfume. Offensive. Ban it. Farting, swearing , talking, coughing, breathing. You guessed it, ban the lot. Did you know that some people actually come to matches and enjoy themselves. Not just smiling but laughing. Out loud! Ban it! Ban it! Ban it! God I need a ciggy after that little outburst. Damn it. Not allowed to smoke in the house.
Ban whatever you want but never ban farting !

mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ April 26 2005,11:43)]But unfortuantely when you are crow-barred into a plastic seat and someone lights up in front of you and beside you giving you a constant plume of smoke blowing in your face it's not pleasant and you can't get away.  
mad.gif
This is the main problem in that these days seating and not many spares ones available there is no where else to move to get away from it. I personally sit in the Family Stand and have never seen anyone around me smoking which obviously should be the way for that area.

For health and safety reasons I agree that Southend should become a non smoking stadium - I worry about children getting burned and the hazards lit cigarettes can cause.

As a non-smoker I do not know how it feels to go 45 minutes without one - but as someone who has been burnt by a cigarette I know how painful it can be.

An allocated area for smokers away from the seated areas would be an optional alternative to a complete ban.

And, by the way, I saw stewards requesting smokers stop at Oxford.

What makes me laugh about this is that if you take the main topic of discussion over the past three days. Where people are disgusted and moan that the perpetrators should be shown no mercy because they can affect another fan who is there to just watch the match but then they are quite happy to smoke next to people who do not, which in mind also affects people in a way they do not want to be. And the consequences can be life threatening.

For instance my father has smoking induced Emphysema and he needs to be in a smoking free environment. He has given up or he would have died within 3-6 months, now he selects where he goes to avoid smoky environments, luckily where we sit in East Greens there are no one smoking during the match but of course this does not mean it will always be the case.

Of course some people can say serve him right but if bans were around years ago his smoking rate may not have been as high as it was. So in a way a ban would be beneficial to everyone.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The smoking/non smoking sections of the West are clearly labelled btw.

and from where I sit in the RBS, clearly ignored
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ April 26 2005,14:17)]For instance my father has smoking induced Emphysema and he needs to be in a smoking free environment. He has given up or he would have died within 3-6 months, now he selects where he goes to avoid smoky environments, luckily where we sit in East Greens there are no one smoking during the match but of course this does not mean it will always be the case.

Of course some people can say serve him right but if bans were around years ago his smoking rate may not have been as high as it was. So in a way a ban would be beneficial to everyone.
Not sure if I agree with your final paragraph.

My gripe with this is the fact that there are smoking and non-smoking areas (certainly in the West, I dunno about the poofie East side
smile.gif
). If this was stewarded and enforced my guess is that people would still find something else to moan at.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ April 26 2005,14:17)]What makes me laugh about this is that if you take the main topic of discussion over the past three days. Where people are disgusted and moan that the perpetrators should be shown no mercy because they can affect another fan who is there to just watch the match but then they are quite happy to smoke next to people who do not, which in mind also affects people in a way they do not want to be. And the consequences can be life threatening.
I don't think there has been one post where someone has that they will smoke in a non smoking area. So I think the comment about no mercy is a tad unfair.

As for comparing smacking someone repeatedly in the face with lighting up a cigarette in a smoking area..... It beggars belief

1. The majority should rule.
2. Football is a sport that should promote healthy living.
3. To consider and be considerate is considerably better than not.
4. Why do passive smokers never buy their own?.
biggrin.gif

Well said - rabbloke
Couldn't agree with you more particularly about point 2
smile.gif

Back