• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Man Shot

I got the impression this guy was unarmed and not carrying anything therefore I would have rather seen him taken in for questioning and a long Loooong spell in the slammer.

If he was carrying something that was going to detonate then fair enough, take him out and I'm a plank
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ July 22 2005,11:53)]I think Kenny means what is the point of shooting to kill, when shooting to disarm perhaps could be another option
Not a easy thing to do. Your intended target is moving so your aim must be for the body mass which gives you the bigger area of impact.A small arms round will bonce around abit causing internal injuries so saying 'shoot to disable' isn't a option.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ July 22 2005,12:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ July 22 2005,11:53)]I think Kenny means what is the point of shooting to kill, when shooting to disarm perhaps could be another option
Not a easy thing to do. Your intended target is moving so your aim must be for the body mass which gives you the bigger area of impact.A small arms round will bonce around abit causing internal injuries so saying 'shoot to disable' isn't a option.
Plus, as I said, while he still has arms, he can still detonate a bomb - and that is all he is interested in doing. He has absolutely no intention of surrendering.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ July 22 2005,12:25)]I got the impression this guy was unarmed and not carrying anything therefore I would have rather seen him taken in for questioning and a long Loooong spell in the slammer.

If he was carrying something that was going to detonate then fair enough, take him out and I'm a plank
biggrin.gif
I'm sure we all agree that we'd like him in the slammer for the rest of his life (although he'd probably get let out in 10 years knowing this country)...

I understand that although he didnt have a rucksack, this guy was wearing an 'unseasonably thick winter coat'... which made him look 'very much out of place'. Therefore the only possible assumption is that he had the bomb strapped to him under the jacket - as palestinian terrorists do on buses in Israel.

This incident will make me think twice about travelling by tube.

I don't want trigger happy police taking aim at me because I look agitated, am running for my tube and maybe carrying some excess weight around the midrift.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 22 2005,12:46)]This incident will make me think twice about travelling by tube.

I don't want trigger happy police taking aim at me because I look agitated, am running for my tube and maybe carrying some excess weight around the midrift.
Tell you what, instead of going for the tube how about going to the airport, then you can sod off somewhere else and stay there - I hear Iraq is lovely this time of year.

What a berk

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 22 2005,12:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 22 2005,12:46)]This incident will make me think twice about travelling by tube.

Tell you what, instead of going for the tube how about going to the airport, then you can sod off somewhere else and stay there - I hear Iraq is lovely this time of year.

What a berk

mad.gif
Are you trying to give up the fags again?

Whilst I may have made a point in a light hearted manner it is still a valid point. How are the police going to differentiate between a potential suicide bomber and an innocent person?

The police are most definitely on edge, and I would rather not be travelling on the tube if the police are going to be shooting at suspects as I don't want to hit by a stray bullet any more than I want to be hit by a bomb.

You seem to be very intolerant of people holding different opinions to yourself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 22 2005,12:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ July 22 2005,12:25)]I got the impression this guy was unarmed and not carrying anything therefore I would have rather seen him taken in for questioning and a long Loooong spell in the slammer.

biggrin.gif
I'm sure we all agree that we'd like him in the slammer for the rest of his life (although he'd probably get let out in 10 years knowing this country)...

I understand that although he didnt have a rucksack, this guy was wearing an 'unseasonably thick winter coat'... which made him look 'very much out of place'. Therefore the only possible assumption is that he had the bomb strapped to him under the jacket - as palestinian terrorists do on buses in Israel.
Sorry Spiff, but you are wrong mate, he will be out in 3 months "cos its 'is yuman rights innit". Sod the victims.

You are spot on about "disabling" him, if he is wearing a semtex vest it is still possible he could detonate it and take a good few with him. Five shots does appear to be a waste of bullets however.

Also i am not sure about anyone else, the term suicide bomber is wrong. These people are filth and murdering scum with no respect for the value of life. Therefore they should be termed homicide bombers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 22 2005,13:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 22 2005,12:48)]
[b said:

What a berk

mad.gif
Are you trying to give up the fags again?

Whilst I may have made a point in a light hearted manner it is still a valid point. How are the police going to differentiate between a potential suicide bomber and an innocent person?

The police are most definitely on edge, and I would rather not be travelling on the tube if the police are going to be shooting at suspects as I don't want to hit by a stray bullet any more than I want to be hit by a bomb.

You seem to be very intolerant of people holding different opinions to yourself.
If you honestly believe that the first time the police knew of this person was when he walked into Stockwell Underground station this morning, then you need to have a bit of a re-think...

Furthermore, eyewitnesses have said they could see a 'bomb belt with wires coming from it'. What's more if you are innocent then as soon as someone shouts 'halt' at you, as the police did at the top of the escalators, then you tend to halt immediately. Not run down the escalators and force your way onto a train to avoid capture.

Anyone would would have to be unbelievably stupid to behave in the second of those two ways in the current climate...

This is not 'intolerance to other people's views'..

Think about it:

Suicide Bomber

therefore:

Bomb

therefore:

Bomber wants to die, will evade capture whatever the cost

therefore:

Seconds for police to react, if they are lucky

therefore:

Prevent bomb from being detonated

therefore:

Bomber must be taken out, unless you are a sharp enough shooted to obliterate two arms in under 5 seconds (and would stake your life - and that of your colleagues and innocent passengers - on doing so given you've only got one chance)

It's not rocket science is it?

rock.gif

And it doesn't leave much room for 'opinions' either....

In these situations you need to shoot to kill, I wonder how people would have reacted if the Police hestitated and he had detonated his bomb. Killed many many innocent people, scared many off the tubes (which is what they want) and im sure there would have been an enquiry into why the Police didn't kill him.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ July 22 2005,12:27)]
[b said:
Also dont some suicide bombers have a like a device that they hold down with their hand or somthing so if they are shot they will explode?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 22 2005,13:52)]If you honestly believe that the first time the police knew of this person was when he walked into Stockwell Underground station this morning, then you need to have a bit of a re-think...

Furthermore, eyewitnesses have said they could see a 'bomb belt with wires coming from it'. What's more if you are innocent then as soon as someone shouts 'halt' at you, as the police did at the top of the escalators, then you tend to halt immediately. Not run down the escalators and force your way onto a train to avoid capture.

Anyone would would have to be unbelievably stupid to behave in the second of those two ways in the current climate...

This is not 'intolerance to other people's views'..

Think about it:

Suicide Bomber

therefore:

Bomb

therefore:

Bomber wants to die, will evade capture whatever the cost

therefore:

Seconds for police to react, if they are lucky

therefore:

Prevent bomb from being detonated

therefore:

Bomber must be taken out, unless you are a sharp enough shooted to obliterate two arms in under 5 seconds (and would stake your life - and that of your colleagues and innocent passengers - on doing so given you've only got one chance)

It's not rocket science is it?

rock.gif

And it doesn't leave much room for 'opinions' either....
If the police knew this bloke had a bomb why did they allow him into the tube station in the first place?

If he was a known suspect who they had been following then the police should have stopped him earlier.

If they were purely reacting to reports of a suspicious looking bloke with wires sticking out, then I am worried for my safety, as I had wires sticking out as I was listening to my ipod this morning. I actually ran down the stairs in order to make my tube this morning (which I just caught) so may not have heard a call of "stop". Alternatively being innocent, I may have ignored the shout as it wouldn't have had anything to do with me.

It is precisely the current climate that you allude to which makes me wary of trigger-happy police. Given our record in shooting suspected bombers (eg the Rock of Gibralter incident), forgive me for not expressing 100% confidence in those calling the shots.

Canary Wharf station was close for 15 minutes earlier. Worringly they bundled some man into the back of a van and sped off, no news reports or anything about what happened
rock.gif
its Brazil and dissapearing kids all over again.

Wonder how long before the parents of the shot bloke begin to scream outside courthouses whilst Cherie Blair champions them and gets the police officers locked up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 22 2005,14:47)]If they were purely reacting to reports of a suspicious looking bloke with wires sticking out, then I am worried for my safety, as I had wires sticking out as I was listening to my ipod this morning. I actually ran down the stairs in order to make my tube this morning (which I just caught) so may not have heard a call of "stop". Alternatively being innocent, I may have ignored the shout as it wouldn't have had anything to do with me.

It is precisely the current climate that you allude to which makes me wary of trigger-happy police. Given our record in shooting suspected bombers (eg the Rock of Gibralter incident), forgive me for not expressing 100% confidence in those calling the shots.
I trust, Matt, that on your way to your train this morning you didn't jump over a ticket barrier, nor were you running because you knew there were people coming after you.

If there was someone behind you who shouted "Stop, Police!" - would you have kept going for your train? I doubt it somehow. And if you would, perhaps you should stop doing so from now on.

To be honest, although Spiff is (in his usual rabid way) going a little over the top, he's got a point. Personally, I'm glad they shot the f*cker.

Matt

All I can say it that it was lucky dave didnt do the shooting
a) would have missed by a mile
b) would have taken 30 secs and tried to dribble round 8 police officers
c) when trying to pick up his gun his first touch would have let him down and the gun would have gone out of control:p

These people are murderers - therefore homicide bombers not suicide bombers should be the term.

The acts they commit are acts of terror or terrorism not incidents as the politically correct and the BBC would term them.

Funny how these poor deluded young men are induced or brainwashed into committing these acts. Anyone seen Bin Laden, Bakri, Qatada or their ilk willing to top themselves for their cause?? They are using the weak willed and disaffected in the community to act as cannon fodder for them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ July 22 2005,14:48)]Canary Wharf station was close for 15 minutes earlier. Worringly they bundled some man into the back of a van and sped off, no news reports or anything about what happened  
rock.gif
 its Brazil and dissapearing kids all over again.

Wonder how long before the parents of the shot bloke begin to scream outside courthouses whilst Cherie Blair champions them and gets the police officers locked up.
Indeed, Asian looking guy came up from the tube and was jumped by undercover police, put up abit of a struggle and was taken to the van. Shoes and bag left outside, kept there for about ten minutes then driven off.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 22 2005,14:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 22 2005,14:47)]If they were purely reacting to reports of a suspicious looking bloke with wires sticking out, then I am worried for my safety, as I had wires sticking out as I was listening to my ipod this morning. I actually ran down the stairs in order to make my tube this morning (which I just caught) so may not have heard a call of "stop". Alternatively being innocent, I may have ignored the shout as it wouldn't have had anything to do with me.

I trust, Matt, that on your way to your train this morning you didn't jump over a ticket barrier, nor were you running because you knew there were people coming after you.

If there was someone behind you who shouted "Stop, Police!" - would you have kept going for your train?  I doubt it somehow.  And if you would, perhaps you should stop doing so from now on.

To be honest, although Spiff is (in his usual rabid way) going a little over the top, he's got a point.  Personally, I'm glad they shot the f*cker.

Matt
If that person was attempting to blow up a tube, then I have no problem with the fact that the police killed him.

What I have a problem with, is that the police might start shooting innocent people (or even fare-dodgers come to that), or that innocent bystanders might get hit by stray bullets. With the police being very jumpy at the moment, I'm not particularly enamoured by the fact that not only facing the prospect of my tube being bombed in the morning, I may also get caught up with police firing at me.

I repeat the question, if the police knew he was a suicide bomber, why did they allow him to get so close to a tube full of people?

Back