• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It can be overstated but contacts do make a difference. The team that Sturrock built in such a short time relied heavily on players he had previously worked with, including that unknown kid from Devon.

Phil Brown being Phil Brown was also instrumental in signing Noel Hunt both in terms of knowing Mick McCarthy at Ipswich and the fact that Noel's brother Stephen had previously played under Brown.

Agree with you completely, Sturrock managed to cobble together a half decent team from nowhere, mainly down to his numerous contacts. Whether you're a Sturrock fan or not, his achievement in finishing mid table that first season is undeniable, we were in a complete mess when he took the reigns.

Brown's previous experience is also valuable, like you say the Noel Hunt signing was (probably) largely down to his previous contacts.

It can be overstated but contacts do make a difference. The team that Sturrock built in such a short time relied heavily on players he had previously worked with, including that unknown kid from Devon.

Phil Brown being Phil Brown was also instrumental in signing Noel Hunt both in terms of knowing Mick McCarthy at Ipswich and the fact that Noel's brother Stephen had previously played under Brown.

Or we were the only club willing to meet his pay demands?

Deals are different but I think you'll find there are not many where the player comes free. If they were, then the parent club would make demands that we might not agree to.

For example the deal for one of the loanees last season was as follows... If he played we paid 1/3rd of his wages, Sub 2/3rds and if he didn't play then we paid his full wage. Hence we can't have a Gary Hooper because at £27k per week if he was injured whilst playing for us the club would be bankrupt.

Likewise when Barnard went to Stevenage they would have to pay us money

I fondly remember when i stated on here that Woodrow had to play regardless of his form as per the terms of the loan agreement,Phil even told the press "it wasn't the case",many on here had a giggle at my expense,but hey these crazy deals happen all the time.

Agree with you completely, Sturrock managed to cobble together a half decent team from nowhere, mainly down to his numerous contacts. Whether you're a Sturrock fan or not, his achievement in finishing mid table that first season is undeniable, we were in a complete mess when he took the reigns.

Brown's previous experience is also valuable, like you say the Noel Hunt signing was (probably) largely down to his previous contacts.

Absolutely. I prefer the style of football we play under Brown but I fully appreciate that others prefer Sturrock's. When you consider that we got relegated alongside Stockport with very similar problems and where the 2 clubs are now what Sturrock achieved in that year is truly remarkable.

Part of this interesting thread questions our ability through our Managers experience and contacts to gain quality players at the right level. The comment has been made about our ability to attract and develop young players . It may illustrate the defensive mindset when we have a little look at some of our successes brought in comparing midfielders and defenders to strikers.
Personally I think Phil had done very well for us with the likes of Coker, Bolger, Worrall, Mc Laughlin, Bringing Barratt back, developing Thompson, resigning Timlin and Deegan, Wordsworth will get better add in Rea on loan , previously ? Kiernan and maybe O'Neill. . Pretty impressive.
Now lets look upfront- Barnard, Coulthirst, Pigott, Cassidy, Hunt, Mooney, Weston ( he said was being brought in as a striker-51 appearances , 3 goals ) . ( ? Isaac Layne, Ellis Brown ) 168 appearances between them and a miserable 20 goals. Averaging less than one goal every 8 games? Corr past 2 seasons 82 appearances , 29 goals, This isnt a whinge about BBBC but just illustrating a point about whether our significant managerial staff of defenders impacts our capacity to find strikers, whether on loan or purchased?

I fondly remember when i stated on here that Woodrow had to play regardless of his form as per the terms of the loan agreement,Phil even told the press "it wasn't the case",many on here had a giggle at my expense,but hey these crazy deals happen all the time.

You will be pleased to know you were indeed totally wrong. PB never has and never would take a player on loan and be told when to play him by the parent club. Everyone can see he has never been afraid to drop a loanee.

The last thing he would have is some young, I don't have to bother because I'm earning 4 times what everyone else in the team is and I can't be dropped, loanee in his squad. When Coulthirst played his last game v Plymouth the whole bench spent most of the match constantly shouting at him in an attempt to get him involved in the game. He just was not interested and I knew we had seen the last of him. The players who were committed stayed and ended up with a rather pleasant day out at Wembley for their reward.

I have no doubt that mrsblue is wrong about the contract stipulations. I do feel though that, as many delight in reminding us, we are a lower league club. A lower league club that has to be mindful of budgets like so many others. I also recognise we have had our share of injuries and that there are good players waiting to return. However, our fully fit strike force is still light. Not just for a week or two but essentially all season and thats why I am baffled as to why we have not brought in a covering loanee. Williams has enough blisters in his backside from sitting on the bench and barely getting a sniff of playing time and it really looks as though PB considers him not to be ready to contribute anything purposeful to a game.

Any loanee, as any signing (Reid, Layne,) is a gamble but we have in numerous games been crying out for an option. I expect something will happen come January but will always wonder what if? We have played the whole season thus far being light in forward options. Unless of course you also list 'Myles away from scoring Weston' as a striker as many seem to.

I have no doubt that mrsblue is wrong about the contract stipulations. I do feel though that, as many delight in reminding us, we are a lower league club. A lower league club that has to be mindful of budgets like so many others. I also recognise we have had our share of injuries and that there are good players waiting to return. However, our fully fit strike force is still light. Not just for a week or two but essentially all season and thats why I am baffled as to why we have not brought in a covering loanee. Williams has enough blisters in his backside from sitting on the bench and barely getting a sniff of playing time and it really looks as though PB considers him not to be ready to contribute anything purposeful to a game.

Any loanee, as any signing (Reid, Layne,) is a gamble but we have in numerous games been crying out for an option. I expect something will happen come January but will always wonder what if? We have played the whole season thus far being light in forward options. Unless of course you also list 'Myles away from scoring Weston' as a striker as many seem to.

while we haven't got anyone who's an out and out scorer, we have good all round players as our forwards. Weston has pace and works hard, Mooney works hard and has an eye for a pass, Hunt works like crazy, Piggott can finish and also holds the ball up. I think that if you can't get a great goal scorer then get people who work hard and bring something else. I still think that Mooney would work well behind someone quick though maybe Piggott and Mooney should get a run. I still think Piggott can finish and does hold that ball up when he plays well though i'd like someone with pace and power who can hold the ball up. Weston's pace and power with Hunt (or Corr's) hold up. chances are we would find it hard to find someone who could do all that and finish.

overall i think we're doing really well and i'd take this. i like that lots of players are scoring

Back