• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Milligan

What a shame.
It’s a shame 99% of the fan base would rather see Gary Deegan-esque midfielder tearing into number 10s, getting sent off 4 times a season culminating in him missing 20% of the season through suspension, with a passing range of a bin lorry, than Mark Milligan’s more nuanced style of play. Unfortunately maybe his legs weren’t up to the pace of League One, but you could see the undoubted quality he had on the ball.

Last edited:
Can’t say I’m surprise, big earners have to go, can more than likely get two players in at league two level now his gone.

Probably for the best due to his wages. He started to show his quality in the latter parts of his time. Shame as I think he would’ve been a good player in League Two and one of the only ‘senior pros’ I’d have kept hold of.

Agree with Ricey’s comments above. The bloke was one of the only senior players who was professional throughout the whole mess of a season despite the stick he often got on here .. yes his legs had gone but toward the end he showed his class and glimpses of why he was an Australia international. He’d have been great for the kids to have around, as someone to look up to. All the best, MM.

I think the culture shock of League One was a little beyond him at first.
After all, even Nathan Ralph was a star in the SPL.
Note when he left Hibernian, manager at the time Heckingbottom said he wanted to: "recruit something different to play in that position."
Yeah, something better.
Despite the recent upturn, he has to go on the heap of Bond blunders.

First of many. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2010 all over again hardly anyone will stay. The older pros have been mainly awful and need to go and the youngsters that have shone are likely to be poached elsewhere. And why the obsession with John white staying. S good servant but past his best and spent most of last season injured.

First of many. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2010 all over again hardly anyone will stay. The older pros have been mainly awful and need to go and the youngsters that have shone are likely to be poached elsewhere. And why the obsession with John white staying. S good servant but past his best and spent most of last season injured.

Exactly! If he had been a regular throughout the season then maybe it might be worth keeping. He played 9 games and 3 sub appearances. That arm is always going to be a concern for him and something we need to stay away from. There will be plenty of better players desperate to get a club and we should capitalise on that.

What a shame.
It’s a shame 99% of the fan base would rather see Gary Deegan-esque midfielder tearing into number 10s, getting sent off 4 times a season culminating in him missing 20% of the season through suspension, with a passing range of a bin lorry, than Mark Milligan’s more nuanced style of play. Unfortunately maybe his legs weren’t up to the pace of League One, but you could see the undoubted quality he had on the ball.

‘Passing range of a bin lorry’

???????????

Spot on :Thumbs up:

Milligan is very popular with the squad, and especially the youngsters.

If they have any problems or concerns, he is the man they go to.

I believe he would have been an important asset for the club - in whatever role that was.

It may not be the end yet...

Didnt work out here...From what I saw over numerous games was poor...Another Bond failure

What a shame.

How many times did Deegan every get sent off playing for Southend?

Milligan may have been a great player. He was lost at this level (much like Friedman and Harris before him) and was wasted. He certainly wouldn't have liked the "in your face" style of L2.

I thought Milligan was very underrated last season by many. Did a lot of unseen work, and towards the end of the season was actually a stand out player for me. Maybe looked better on I-follow than in the flesh maybe?

I would of liked to have seen him for another season, but wish him well.

People have forgotten that Milligan started well and was certainly not out of his depth at Coventry.

Where he was out of his depth was being made captain only to find when players faking injury, bullying the younger lads and fighting on a compulsory day out drinking. He got badly clattered in one home game but stayed on and from then on looked as bad and as dejected as the others.

As for a Deegan style player..... We won both games when he was sent off and when he started in his last season and took a yellow.... Won 4 and drew the other....I make that 19 points from seven games...... 19 points mmm that figure rings a bell.

What a shame.
There'd be a great player if we could find someone with the appetite and strengths of the two of them though.

Firstly i think its sad that a player of his knowledge and a wealth of experience is leaving the club. I believe he has been a very decent player but agree at times he looked very leggy in league 1.

My main concern is the lack of communication between the players and the club, Mark isnt the only one to say this either. I accept its been a very difficult and uncertain times for many but ive heard on the radio and TV from other league 1 and 2 players that have been in constant touch with the management, coaching and medical teams. Ron said that him and Sol have hardly spoken, really??? its no surprise weve been relegated and even by pure luck we had stayed up there are huge discussions and planning that needs to take place regarding player contracts, retention etc. the more i think about it the more i think Sol may leave whcih for me would be a shame. Think he worked wonders in the end with the young lads and even the likes of Macca and Shaunessy stepped up to the plate. Yes he made mistakes but he was dealt a dreadful hand in the first place.

If we end up like we did in 2010 is Sol the right choice to build the squad or do we need someone with signifcant L2 experience to take over the role. Bare in mind also that the Macc lad that was one of the ones that Sol wanted is now a free agent and had no communication from anyone at the club. What a mess we are in

Make no mistake about it we are in a mess ,is Sol the kind of man to stick around and sort this ......only time will tell !

Another crap Bond signing gone never lived up to the Aussie Captain hip when he signed.Overall never worked out in the worse bunch of players ever to play at the Hall

Back