• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Mark Molesley appointed as manager

I'm going to be in a minority for this, but I'm not even convinced he did anything wrong after the Dover game. It was just everyone taking out their frustrations over the result and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and so became the lightning rod for dissatisfaction.

I hope he is the beneficiary of the clean slate that MM is giving everyone because there is a real player in there and he can be a real asset for this club and the type of player that - if he can stay healthy - we can build around.

He's definitely tough - I remember him trying to play on with a broken leg - I just hope he isn't as brittle.

I agree I didn't think it was anything that bad. He just had a beer with some of the players he knew from Dover. Bit silly to do it in his SUFC garb but footballers aren't always the brightest.

I'm going to be in a minority for this, but I'm not even convinced he did anything wrong after the Dover game. It was just everyone taking out their frustrations over the result and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and so became the lightning rod for dissatisfaction.

I hope he is the beneficiary of the clean slate that MM is giving everyone because there is a real player in there and he can be a real asset for this club and the type of player that - if he can stay healthy - we can build around.

He's definitely tough - I remember him trying to play on with a broken leg - I just hope he isn't as brittle.
100% with you on this one. The brief pub instagram/snapchat story that made it into public domain was immediately seized upon as a very convenient stick to beat one particular player with that day, when the 10 others on the field were just as culpable. Sol didn't take a good view of it either. Strangely given how aloof and distanced he seemed from understanding the fans, wasn't taking that approach just to curry favour with the fanbase that were calling for Lennon's head. There is a good defender in there (heck look at Shaughnessy now keeping clean sheets in the SPL) and hopefully Molesley will get the best out of him.

My gut feeling is the extra few weeks wait to land him will prove to have been the right decision - League Two survival here we come....

that sounds depressing typing that out, but I'll take it!

Its interesting. There was so much doom and gloom on here about the time taken to get him in. If he applied a number of weeks ago and RM was genuinely interested, then he probably had to wait until Weymouth had played their play off before any movement could happen. This was only 13 days ago. So on that basis RM has done well to get this over the line (if you include 5 or 6 new staff arriving as well). Im very excited by this appt and hope that he is given time to do what he needs. Its going to be a tough start as we are behind many other teams in preparation so we need to be patient

What formation do we think Molesley might go for? I remember Currie liked a 3-5-2, but don’t remember reading much about MM’s preferred tactical setup, other than playing out from the back and pressing opposition.

Might it be possible that the "want away" players that are said to be at the club might change their minds now that there is other than a bizarre loon at the helm?
This is my feeling. Lennon, Dieng, Oxley, Demi, Macca, JW .. lots of experience there. If MM can work his magic on those that stay and get a bit extra out of them, plus get a few in (all being well) then it suddenly isn’t so doom and gloom as some suggest. I think we’ve got enough to stay up comfortably these lads just need an injection of confidence and belief which they never got from Bond and Campbell. It’s no wonder some of them want out to be honest but it’s a fresh start. It’ll take a good team spirit and everyone pulling together fans included but I’m hopeful we’ll surprise a few. If we start badly, we MUST stay with the boys and MM and remember this is 2 years of gradual decline being turned around and righted, it’s a long term project. I’m personally looking forward to next season ?

Please delete mods if already been shared but haven't seen so myself, the Athletic's Bournemouth correspondant did an interview with Molesley back in February (unrelated to the tifo interview, different and once quite separates arms of the same publisher) https://theathletic.com/1619034/2020/02/20/mark-molesley-bournemouth-weymouth-manager/ (behind a paywall but free trials are available)
Interesting snippet from that about Goodship, certainly seems to be fond of him:

---

Of his young squad, striker Brandon Goodship stood out, scoring 75 goals from 81 league appearances for the club, before earning a move to League One Southend United last summer.

Watching his youngsters develop is key to Molesley.

“Oh it’s massive,” he says. “You become big supporters of these players because you’ve got a personal relationship and you’d like to think you’ve had a small impact on their career.

“Brandon was spat out of the league and probably wondered if he wanted to play again. He knew he had the ability — I like to think we played a way that got the best out of him, but it was his talent. He got himself his move, we just facilitated it.

“You are proud because you look at them like they’re one of yours, you feel like they’re one of your boys."

I agree I didn't think it was anything that bad. He just had a beer with some of the players he knew from Dover. Bit silly to do it in his SUFC garb but footballers aren't always the brightest.
Let me get this right.
You're saying the thicker you are the less culpable you are?
So, by that standard it pays to be naive, thoughtless, and disrespectful because you'll be forgiven.
On a previous post, it was claimed he just 'happened' to be in a pub after a catastrophic defeat on live TV with players from the club we had just surrendered to.
Really?
Many have said he was there because he could give a rat's arse about Southend's result.

Let me get this right.
You're saying the thicker you are the less culpable you are?
So, by that standard it pays to be naive, thoughtless, and disrespectful because you'll be forgiven.
On a previous post, it was claimed he just 'happened' to be in a pub after a catastrophic defeat on live TV with players from the club we had just surrendered to.
Really?
Many have said he was there because he could give a rat's arse about Southend's result.

Yes, this is the type of issue we want MM to use his attention to detail on.

How long a period of mourning after a defeat should there be?

Is acceptable attire for players during this period only sackcloth and ashes or is all black an acceptable alternative?

Is it only ok to meet friends provided you've instagrammed "tough result 2day but we go again" and received 100 likes?

I think we need to move one now , we have to trust in MM and his ability at lower league level to weed out any bad eggs and Lennon rightly had to eat humble pie for a few weeks but there are a lot worse things going on in the world right now to worry about a young lad not using his brain.

I think any striker will benefit from a better playing style of football with forward passing players around them , trust me Eastwood wouldn't have got no where near as many goals or made the career he had without the likes of Gower , Maher , Goater , Gray all doing their bit to create chances .
Creative play will always give forwards opportunities to make runs and get on the end of things , the past 2 seasons has been painful to watch as our style has been more about trying not to lose than it has been about trying to win .

This is what a new fresh Manager with positive style of play can bring to this club , im hoping the feel good factor will return and i can enjoy watching the Blues again .
for me there is nothing worse than leaving a ground losing ,knowing that the team wasn;t even brave enough to try and win the game , that was Campbell worst trait as a manager because he knew thats how it worked with Macc .

MM is on a roll and lets hope it rubs off on the players as im feeling optimistic about the season now , that we will at least go out and play to win.

Any one know his preferred formation at Weymouth?
Some one posted this when Goodship signed, think it was 4-3-3 or 3-4-3, but dont hold me to that. May not be able to do that i guess he will have to work with what ever squad he has and what he brings in. Will be interesting to see how we line up. Can see Goodship on the left of a front 3

Hi guys

Good to see you guys seem happy with the Molesley appointment.

I'm not a Southend fan, but i've just written a piece about todays news on my blog, if you guys fancy checking it out/sharing/giving me dogs abuse for getting stuff wrong, it's all more than welcome!

https://thefloodlightblog.blogspot.com/2020/08/mark-molesley-unveiled-as-southend.html?spref=tw
That was a good read and I dont think anyone will take offence with your comments and assessment. If you are new to Shrimperzone then welcome and thank you for your contribution........

Back