• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Molesley

So you cannot explain it then?

Not everything boils down to the manager being a useless ****er or otherwise. Us Southend fans, more than any fanbase, should know that by now.
I can explain that Molesley’s sides became adept at grinding out 0-0 draws, which is something that the current regime has not managed, and that predictability probably appeals to betting syndicates. Unfortunately we were about a million points adrift at that stage so it did **** all good.

Molesley was trying to find a way to arrest the slide and make us harder to beat and stop shipping goals. He managed that but sadly we couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo at the other end of the pitch. He seemed a nice fella, acted professionally and I wish him well at Aldershot. Maybe the experience here would’ve helped him.

I can explain that Molesley’s sides became adept at grinding out 0-0 draws, which is something that the current regime has not managed, and that predictability probably appeals to betting syndicates. Unfortunately we were about a million points adrift at that stage so it did **** all good.
Here are 3 games in a month period shortly before Molesley got sacked. I pick them because I recall us playing well and all three finished 0-0. One includes the Cambridge game.

1632210413288.png

1632210427613.png
1632210349020.png
We drew each game because our finishing was woeful but we shut out the opposition well in all 3. Over another season, with better strikers or different variance, we win all 3 of these performances. That is why Brighton stuck with their manager and this season they are winning with the same performances that had them losing last season.

I acknowledge that over the season we must have had 10-12 games where we didn't look like scoring at all. However 2 of these came in Brown's 6 games (I am excluding Exeter because we missed a hatful, yet again).

We also didn't look like scoring v Aldershot and got 2 flukes. How Molesley could have done with that luck in front of goal. He wouldn't have had us wasting it by conceding 3.

Football is about results, but people that run successful football clubs know that results have variance and performance data is what really matters for progression. We lack all of this at Southend and look at us now.

Last edited:
Night and day isnt it.

Mm with his macbook pro and Phil with his 10k punishment runs. Total opposite approaches.

Fairly sure even M.M would have utilised our reasonable forwards better than 0 0 Phil does!

I hope it does well at Aldershot - NL level is about right for him at the moment.

he is lucky to get another job so soon and I bet the beardy team of 6 are not going on the payroll ...

He might get back to EFL in a few years

I wish you who are hating on MM knew even a quarter of the **** he put up with throughout his time here. Like earlier stated on here if he finished third bottom he'd done a great job - and I believe he would have achieved it
Don't doubt it one bit but i bet it ain't got a fraction of the **** fans have taken over many years,so please excuse the lack of sympathy from many of us.

As others have said I’m glad that his reputation hasn’t been ruined by his time at the club. I liked him and desperately wanted it to work out for him, thought Ron made a great appointment and it was a good up and coming manager, unfortunately right manager at the wrong time.

As others have said I’m glad that his reputation hasn’t been ruined by his time at the club. I liked him and desperately wanted it to work out for him, thought Ron made a great appointment and it was a good up and coming manager, unfortunately right manager at the wrong time.
Exactly how i saw it. I admire him for taking a potentially career-ending gamble by coming to what he would (or should) have known was a basket case club. He conducted himself with dignity throughout but also made some very bad mistakes - releasing Barratt, sticking with academy style football for the first 11 games effectively relegating us and out of all his numerous signings not one goalscorer. He will have learnt a lot during his time with us and I suspect Aldershot are getting a far better manager than the one who joined us last year.

Exactly how i saw it. I admire him for taking a potentially career-ending gamble by coming to what he would (or should) have known was a basket case club. He conducted himself with dignity throughout but also made some very bad mistakes - releasing Barratt, sticking with academy style football for the first 11 games effectively relegating us and out of all his numerous signings not one goalscorer. He will have learnt a lot during his time with us and I suspect Aldershot are getting a far better manager than the one who joined us last year.
He was brought in with an approach and modern football but far too late without the ability to replace, the only reason for the hate is the league position he managed to change through coaching and was doing well at the end when is fan were calling for him to be sack and that zoom call “lost the dressing room”.

Still he did better than the person he replaced and the person who replaced him and maybe of stayed up if we held the course.

If you learn from your mistakes he will have learnt a helluva lot from last year including don't lasso yourself to a bunch of amateurs as a backroom team. He seems to have jettisoned most of them at Aldershot and instead he's got a very experienced guy as his right hand man/director of football. I'm sure it will work a lot better for him.

If you learn from your mistakes he will have learnt a helluva lot from last year including don't lasso yourself to a bunch of amateurs as a backroom team. He seems to have jettisoned most of them at Aldershot and instead he's got a very experienced guy as his right hand man/director of football. I'm sure it will work a lot better for him.
Good point. Wasn’t it the case last year that his goalkeeping coach hadn’t even been a pro keeper? Didn’t help the optics. Anyway, I hope the beardy guy with the notebook (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is still involved. He was the brains behind the operation, the mastermind if you will. Anyway, I liked MM and wish we’d kept him.

I wish Mark well in the future but I do not admire him for taking the job with us or the career gamble he decide to take with our club, the one I have supported and loved for 55+ years. We hear how he analyses everything and leaves no stone unturned etc. etc., well, as an intelligent guy, with a multitude of backroom assistance, I am surprised he didn't realise what he was taking on. Yes, he was dealt a poor hand and probably not what he expected but, at end of the day, he wanted to move up the management ladder and Ron gave him that opportunity, ably encouraged by Harry no doubt. MM's has got himself another job now, at the level he previously decided to leave - does he care about our club now , I doubt it, did he set out to get us relegated, of course not, but I cannot bring myself to ever admire him for becoming our manager.

I wish Mark well in the future but I do not admire him for taking the job with us or the career gamble he decide to take with our club, the one I have supported and loved for 55+ years. We hear how he analyses everything and leaves no stone unturned etc. etc., well, as an intelligent guy, with a multitude of backroom assistance, I am surprised he didn't realise what he was taking on. Yes, he was dealt a poor hand and probably not what he expected but, at end of the day, he wanted to move up the management ladder and Ron gave him that opportunity, ably encouraged by Harry no doubt. MM's has got himself another job now, at the level he previously decided to leave - does he care about our club now , I doubt it, did he set out to get us relegated, of course not, but I cannot bring myself to ever admire him for becoming our manager.
Perhaps admire is the wrong word. He could have played safe and stuck with 2 much easier jobs but instead took what seems to me to have been a big risk. I think that takes a certain amount of guts and/or self-confidence regardless of how things eventually worked out.

Back