• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Martin Ling in the Racing Post

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
An interesting read as usual, particularly given the weekend result

I HATE to say I told you so – but I told you so. Leeds United were far too short for the League One title at the start of the season, have been too short all along, and now they look as if they are out of the race to the disappointment of their many backers.

Saturday's 2-0 defeat at home against Tranmere left them 16 points behind Swansea, who have two games in hand. And still they are as short as 12-1 for glory. We're 100-1 in places yet a point better off.

I think Gary McAllister is a good appointment and I wish him well, but there's no doubt they are in the middle of a real wobble.

When they got off to that good start and wiped out the 15-point deduction in less than a month I think a lot of people thought they'd just carry on and demolish the lot of us.

But it's not that easy. This is a tough division with a lot of teams who are capable of pulling off good results.

And Leeds's ability to recruit players might not be a blessing either. They signed a lot more players over the last month, buttheir form has got worse.

Both Leeds and Forest, the bookies' big two, are finding the pace a bit hot and even second place is no formality now that Doncaster are on a roll and Carlisle remain so strong at home. It will be fascinating to see how it all maps out.

I have to confess I was slightly surprised to see Dennis Wise walk away from Elland Road and go to Newcastle in the role that he did. As David Pleat said, director of football is a job for someone in his late fifties and Dennis has got so much more to offer.

Anyway, neither Leeds nor Forest can shake us off. We are in a tough little patch of games at the moment and are doing okay. Last week we went to Walsall and drew 0-0, then on Saturday we got a 2-2 draw against Southend at Brisbane Road. And on Saturday we head to Tranmere who have stormed into the play-off places on the back of that outstanding result at Elland Road.

The Southend result felt like a win because our second equaliser came in the 94th minute. Southend had been unlucky with a couple of calls – I still for the life of me can't work out how we got our penalty that made the scored 1-1 – but we stuck in there and got a well-earned point.
The crowd was almost 7,000 which was good and we've moved out of the average home attendance relegation zone. We've still got Forest and Leeds to come here as well.

I'M pleased that the transfer window has shut and I'm not miffed at having signed only two players, Sam Oji and Andy Barcham.

On Saturday, for example, Ihad all my first-choice strikers – Adam Boyd, Jabo Ibehre and Wayne Gray – available and that was the first time for ages. To me that was like having a new player.

These lads have got us so far and it would be nice if they could carry us through and hopefully into the play-offs or better.

Doesn't make me feel any better. Can we send letters of complaint to The FA re: that shocking ref display on Saturday?....we can at least try and get him demoted, thats the least he deserves in my opinion.

Back