• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
I bought today's local paper and was pleased to see they are previewing tonight's game far more seriously than they were on saturday night (see other thread)...

I have already put in a couple of quotes into other threads, but they have covered a page and a bit previewing the game. There is an article about Darryl of course, where he says he's always been a Saints fan, but "I don't see why we can't win. It's a cup tie, a one-off. Obviously we will be underdogs.....but if they think they can take us lightly they'll be in for a shock. We've got a lot of quality in our side."

Matt Oakley said "I'll have a word with Darryl before the game and try and make him a bit nervous!"
rock.gif

There's an article about Freddy - or F-red-dy as they call him, and in the betting section they seem pretty confident:
"With the obvious exception of last year's horror show at Watford, the days of Saints crumbling to poorer teams in knockout competitions is over. In the past two years, the side have travelled to Northampton (twice), Brentford and Bristol City and have scored convincing wins on all four occasions. There is no reason that this shouldn't continue this evening against a Southend side that only climbed out of the bottom division via the play-offs. In each of the four previously mentioned away cup wins, Saints have scored three goals. That gives us our benchmark for this clash and the only question appears to be whether we can keep a fourth clean sheet in five matches. Complacency is the biggest danger but with the home side missing Freddy Eastwood, we must presume Saints can win to nil."

So, not too arrogant there, then.

They also introduce the Shrimpers squad, telling us that it was Harry Redknapp who allowed Petts to leave Portsmouth to join Southend, and that Luke Guttridge "has attracted interest from Charlton Athletic" - do they mean in the past, or is this more recent? Also, I didn't know this, but apparently Wayne Gray is a former Great Britain sprinter. Can anyone give us any info on this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 22 2005,13:31)]They also introduce the Shrimpers squad, telling us that it was Harry Redknapp who allowed Petts to leave Portsmouth to join Southend, and that Luke Guttridge "has attracted interest from Charlton Athletic" - do they mean in the past, or is this more recent? Also, I didn't know this, but apparently Wayne Gray is a former Great Britain sprinter. Can anyone give us any info on this?
Good review that.

Guttridge had a trial at Charlton last year when he was trying to leave Cambrisge, but they didn't offer him a contract.

Wayne Gray used to be an England sprinter, but they probably dropped him because he wasn't injured often enough...

Guttridge was linked to Charlton before last season.

Fair enough they're predicting a Saints win, but to nil? A bit remiss of them to write off Gray, who has been our best striker so far this year!

I'm reluctant to predict anything other than a 2 or 3-0 defeat I'm afraid. Not sure Wayne can move mountains yet, given that Goater is surely not fit enough to be starting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Aug. 22 2005,13:38)]Fair enough they're predicting a Saints win, but to nil? A bit remiss of them to write off Gray, who has been our best striker so far this year!
Yes, but they won't have seen him, will they? They'll only know about Freddy because of his statistics, and they've probably seen Sky Sports rave about him!

That's a point, who will Sky fill their half-hour build-up with, now that Freddy's not playing? Darryl will probably get featured I suppose, and maybe the Goat. They may well ignore Wayne as well!

Though gamesmanship could be a factor, I was very disappointed to see Tillys attitude as reported on the official site. He sees this as a good game to give so far fringe players a run out. In truth the changes are inforced due to injury and suspension and highlights our lack of depth. He also talks of not expecting to win and being the underdogs. It seems he was more upbeat about recent Ldv exploits against teams a division higher. Southampton are a tough nut to crack but they are some time past their best years. More of a fruit than a nut and just ripe for picking. I feel the pre-match dialogue should have been more optimistic giving the lads a positive frame of mind and the fans a bit of hope that might raise the voices a little.
sad.gif

Back