• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mcgleish joining Southend?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ June 24 2005,21:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JIMSDAD @ June 24 2005,20:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ June 24 2005,20:11)]He got 1 goal in the last 16 games didn't he? I think no-one has got the striker name yet. It'll be someone we dont expect IMO.
I have this funny feeling it may be Adebayo Akinfenwa of Torquay, who scored 14 in 28 for them, so 20 a season should be easy.
Also a London lad
Can't see him coming here really.

We should have kept Tes really. Would have saved alot of hassle and alot of money.

biggrin.gif
I agree with both of those points.

Why do people reckon we need a second goalscorer? It'd be nice but it's so rare to get teams with two goalscorers these days and we need someone who will add a new dimension to our game more than a goalscorer.

I also don't like the obsession with a six figure sum. I reckon people are fully expecting it now and I'm a little worried we may overpay for someone as the number of available targets narrows.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester and proud! @ June 24 2005,20:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ June 24 2005,20:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ June 24 2005,20:11)]He got 1 goal in the last 16 games didn't he? I think no-one has got the striker name yet. It'll be someone we dont expect IMO.
Thierry Henry fancying some nice sea air after all that London smog  
rock.gif
Who wants a player who covers his knees with his socks and wears gloves in the winter  
biggrin.gif
We already have exactly that in Freddy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ June 24 2005,21:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ June 24 2005,21:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JIMSDAD @ June 24 2005,20:40)]
[b said:
I have this funny feeling it may be Adebayo Akinfenwa of Torquay, who scored 14 in 28 for them, so 20 a season should be easy.
Also a London lad
Can't see him coming here really.

We should have kept Tes really. Would have saved alot of hassle and alot of money.

biggrin.gif
That fat useless bar steward would have difficulty getting 20 goals in the rest of his career. I can't believe you still rate him. Good riddance.
WB, you're exactly right

I dont really mind who it is, but i agree wiv Kev that we have no idea who it is though. Tilly has not let us down yet, so i cant see him spending 6 figures without it being good stuff.

Regarding McGleish, after seeing him play for Northampton against us I don't think he's worth a six-figure fee and I don't think he'll be the player to take us forward.

We shouldn't worry too much who it is though, I'm sure Tilly will do us proud in the transfer market yet again!

Still wetting myself after reading that first post.

Yes we wanted him when we were in League Two, and probably would have been a good addition, but then enter Freddy. He is no where near a six-figue player. He reminds me of a poor mans Paul Dickov, runs alot and annoys players, but contributes 5-10 goals a season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester and proud! @ June 24 2005,19:57)]Looks like Scott may have let you down once too often to be the target this time.
What do you think about Neil Harris is he still a possibility.
To be honest I dont think he has ever been the same since his serious illness, poor guy.
Having said that he was a nightmare for defenders in Millwalls promotion season from our division, so perhaps dropping down a division may help him.
Would like to think its Harris.

my father -in-law is a Millwall fan and Millwall fans were gutted when Harris was released.

They actually did a protest the game after he went.
Their opinion was that he was nearly back to his best just as he was released.

His time at Forest might be a clue that it is him.

He had a few games before Megson and scored goals.

Since Megson came he has been out in the cold.
Most were expecting him to be released at the end of the season, but maybe Forest are hoping for some money for him, becasue it seems unlikely that Megson will play him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester and proud! @ June 24 2005,20:16)]Who wants a player who covers his knees with his socks and wears gloves in the winter  
biggrin.gif
Didn't know the general was commanding a six figure transfer from the great szfc
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester and proud! @ June 24 2005,20:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ June 24 2005,20:13)]
[b said:
Thierry Henry fancying some nice sea air after all that London smog  
rock.gif
Who wants a player who covers his knees with his socks and wears gloves in the winter  
biggrin.gif
We do. After all Fredy does.....well, he covers his knees with his sock anyway. Must be to save water cleaning in the showers after the game......
biggrin.gif

I noticed that Southend's clubcall headline was "Big striker blow". Hope that wasn't referring to our hopes of signing Harris. I'm sure it must be him that Tilly is chasing. I was pleased to see that his name was not being touted around in today's papers as being a possible target for other clubs.

Is LLoyd Owusu still under contract at Reading? I noticed that he was linked with a move back to Brentford. He is 28 now, has experience of league 1 football and scored goals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lincoln shrimper @ June 26 2005,10:10)]Is LLoyd Owusu still under contract at Reading? I noticed that he was linked with a move back to Brentford. He is 28 now, has experience of league 1 football and scored goals.
Hope it isn't Owusu, I'll never forgive him for his over exhuberant celebration against us (back in 98 I think it was) at Griffin Park.

I don't like to see players winding up opposing fans (as any knows my opinion about John Spencer's behaviour at Loftus Rd when we lost 4-0 will testify), but when it happens in the lower reaches of the Football League it just shows players up for the self-importance they have on themselves.

Anyway, if Wayne Gray works on his finishing a bit in pre-season, don't we already have a potentially better player than Owusu? I mean they are fairly similar.

Was shocked to read this morning that Macclesfield have not only signed Bullock, but Beresford too... Wouldn't moan at having either of the 2 at Roots Hall as both are experienced wingers who could definitely do a job here... though deals aren't signed yet, perhaps we could pull a Northampton and poach the signing?
biggrin.gif

I'm afraid I'm going to have to do a Napster to you all i.e. I know who our target is but I can't tell you as I'm sworn to secrecy. The information is virtually from the horses mouth as well, so I know it's correct.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ June 27 2005,08:58)]The information is virtually from the horses mouth as well, so I know it's correct.
is the horse's mouth Tilly, Brush, or the player himself?

and are you pleased it's him? does he make you excited at the prospect of wearing the Blue shirt?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lincoln shrimper @ June 26 2005,10:10)]I noticed that Southend's clubcall headline was "Big striker blow".
Perhaps that headline concerns Holt, and the fact that he's signed a new contract at 'Dale?

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 27 2005,10:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lincoln shrimper @ June 26 2005,10:10)]I noticed that Southend's clubcall headline was "Big striker blow".
Perhaps that headline concerns Holt, and the fact that he's signed a new contract at 'Dale?

rock.gif

Matt
He shoots... he scores...

biggrin.gif

Clubcall - Southend: Big Striker Blow

Back