• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supporters Group News Meeting 20th February 2023 - Zoom video

I asked Trevor clarify this as I thought I had seen the plans too, but he was firm in what he had been told - that they haven't received them. Suggests there is a 3rd amended application going in which, if so, opens up a whole other can of worms.
From my brief experience working in local gov (2 years) changing plans from a short-term stay commercial hotel to permanent homes would in all likelihood warrant a new amended application.

It would qualify as a substantial change to the plans and as such require new consent.

The only good part (and I think this was mentioned in the meeting) is that if these are the only amendments, then it should be close to a formality. Well, as long as there are no new issues caused by the addition of residential units to the stadium build.

From my brief experience working in local gov (2 years) changing plans from a short-term stay commercial hotel to permanent homes would in all likelihood warrant a new amended application.

It would qualify as a substantial change to the plans and as such require new consent.

The only good part (and I think this was mentioned in the meeting) is that if these are the only amendments, then it should be close to a formality. Well, as long as there are no new issues caused by the addition of residential units to the stadium build.
The application has been given delegated decision - I think that means it won't be voted on by councillors and get just be approved (or rejected) by planning staff

The application has been given delegated decision - I think that means it won't be voted on by councillors and get just be approved (or rejected) by planning staff
Yes, that does definitely help. You're correct in saying that delegated authority would put it in the hands of Planning management or a senior director in SCC.

I'm just not sure how a fairly major change would be able to have approval without going through the chamber though.

Thats what I thought, but go to 1:05:30. Bombshell dropped at 1:06:56. James follows up that he thought it had been submitted. Trevor is a former councillor and clearly has contacts at the council 😕
The are on the council website, the council even issued a statement confirming the they are waiting for additional information in relation to those very same plans that have been received and verified in Sept 22? They even had an agreed determination date in Dec 22. So I think a miss- speak or Misinterpretation

Yes, that does definitely help. You're correct in saying that delegated authority would put it in the hands of Planning management or a senior director in SCC.

I'm just not sure how a fairly major change would be able to have approval without going through the chamber though.
It's not that major a change. 40 more flats instead of hotel rooms and less seats in one side of the stadium isn't it?

It’s not a major change- to put into perspective is adding 48 residential units to a 1200 unit development!!!!

It’s not a major change- to put into perspective is adding 48 residential units to a 1200 unit development!!!!
Commercial to residential for any part of a plan is usually classed as a notable change, even if the rest of the development is residential.

At the very least it will warrant a new amended set of plans to be put forward, which nullifies the previous planning consent given. Just trying to add from my personal experience, that is all.

Last edited:
Commercial to residential for any part of a plan is usually classed as a notable change, even if the rest of the development is residential.

At the very least it will warrant a new amended set of plans to be put forward, which nullifies the previous planning consent given. Just trying to add from my personal experience, that is all.
Anyway all irrelevant as it is decided that it’s a delegated decision

We have submitted new plans, months ago

@Cockle43 can you clarify again what you were told? That the council is awaiting a revised planning application? If so then, since there is already one registered on the planning portal, there must be a third revised application on the way?

I asked Trevor clarify this as I thought I had seen the plans too, but he was firm in what he had been told - that they haven't received them. Suggests there is a 3rd amended application going in which, if so, opens up a whole other can of worms.
I thought the approved plans last year were for just houses and stadium.

I don't now how much clearer it can be that the revised plan (delegated decision/reserved matters) is in and validated than the SCC statement

There is also a standalone application seeking full planning permission for a smaller new stadium. However, we don’t yet have all the information required from the applicant to determine either application. The applicant is aware of what is required and discussions are ongoing.

Whilst target determination dates are set at validation, it is normal practice for these to be extended where this is mutually agreed between the applicant and the local planning authority.

The site makes clear the application has been validated

Apart from Paul Harris's cautious optimism that we would probably be all right because Ron won't want to lose the scheme which was potentially so lucrative, there were 2 comments that really stuck in my brain. The first was Paul Harris saying Ron was a maverick. I think I'd been looking for the right word for years. I've met Ron a few times over the years and I've never understood how he could deal with the level of anxiety and uncertainty that the whole project imposed. Anyway the other thing was Kevin saying the Trust did not have to do anything at this time regarding any hardship the players might be under. This did suggest to me that there must be some deal/agreement going on. The other thing was the Trust had been approached by 2 groups interested in the club
If and it's still if we get through this the club will have a training ground of championship standard, a new ground for at least 2/3 tier standard with multiple possible income streams, a football department that needs no tinkering, and a fan base that is as strong as at any time in my 60 years supporting this club. There will be multiple bidders when Ron decides to step aside. Maybe not so much maverick as Machiavellian.
I really hope so.

I don't now how much clearer it can be that the revised plan (delegated decision/reserved matters) is in and validated than the SCC statement

There is also a standalone application seeking full planning permission for a smaller new stadium. However, we don’t yet have all the information required from the applicant to determine either application. The applicant is aware of what is required and discussions are ongoing.

Whilst target determination dates are set at validation, it is normal practice for these to be extended where this is mutually agreed between the applicant and the local planning authority.

And that would be taken as gospel......if a former councillor (@Cockle43) had not been told first-hand by a current councillor that the council is still awaiting the submission of a planning application.

It didn't make sense to me either, because what you've stated in your post was also my understanding but what @Cockle43 has been told throws a little doubt on that.

It could well be a crossing of wires/misunderstanding but I think it's fair to try to find out for sure.

It's not the only application that is delayed. The temporary buildings at the training centre still don't have permission from Rochford Council.

Makes you wonder what's going on.

It's not the only application that is delayed. The temporary buildings at the training centre still don't have permission from Rochford Council.

Makes you wonder what's going on.
Forgot about that one. I'm guessing it hasn't moved any further?

Back