• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memories of favourite players past and present. Who's yours and why?

ColinMorrisWalksOnWater

Assistant Head Coach⭐⭐
With all the doom and gloom at the moment, I just thought a thread that could only be positive, might help a minuscule bit.

So, to kick off, my favourite Blues player that I have seen is obviously Colin Morris.

1689524529981.png

Why?

Well he signed for the Mighty Blues in 1976 for the exorbitant fee of £3,000, from Burnley, along with Derrick Parker who cost double that! On his debut, you just knew he was one of those players that would make things happen and get you excited.

His shooting could be suspect at times, cutting in from the left and sending balls high and wide right into the South Bank, when it was a terrace, but boy did he have a massively positive effect on the team.
Also, the fans, as it wasn't long before he had his own chant of "Colin Morris Walks on Water", to the tune of "'tis the season to be jolly."

He played 133 times for us scoring 25 goals over the next three seasons. Was a key member of the 77/78 promotion winning squad.

My first away game was Col U away 19th March 1977, I was 14 and he broke free from the half way line to score the only goal of the game to send us in the away end at Layer Road into raptures. Just a pity it was at the other end of the pitch and not in front of us, but you can't have it all.

Opening league game of the successful 77/78 season, Reading away and £3.00 on the coach run by the "brothers Grimm", another 1 goal winner, a header from a corner, which when you consider he was only about 5' 6" was a real surprise.

The first team from the top division the club ever beat in a cup competition was Bolton Wanderers in the League Cup, complete with Worthington, Whatmore, Alladyce and Cantello. With the league making the early round two legs to help the bigger teams, we were away in the first league. Dave Cusack sent off after 20mins (ish) and we got a 2-2 draw, with a Morris brace. A 0-0 draw in the second leg, with Mervyn Cawston saving a penalty set us up for a memorable clash with West Ham, which lasted 3 games, but that's for another day.

On a foggy night in an FA Cup replay at the Hall, the joy he showed in front of the North Bank after netting into an open goal in a replay against A P Leamington in a 4-0 win summed him up. Every time he pulled on the jersey he gave his all, whoever we were playing, a characteristic that made him popular wherever he played.

Away at Derby in the Cup in '78 we were 3 down, had fought back to 3-2 and he was sent clear, then England international, Colin Todd sprinted after him and rugby tackled him to prevent him going one on one with the keeper and getting us the draw we deserved on that day.

Even when he left the club, it was a positive for the Blues. From a £3k acquisition, we swapped him for Blackpool and Northern Ireland International centre forward Derek Spence, the deal rated £100k each way.

So there's my opener. Add yours and we should get a range of players from over the years that have helped create the Roots Hall Roar and make us feel a little better.

Last edited:
Present. Sandrat (is he still here?) because I just feel that’s there’s something there in him. Has that spark and edge that just needed more run of games.

Past. Mike Marsh because I honestly think he was a level above everyone else in our team and in the league at the time we was lucky to have him such a shame he got injuries was an amazing midfielder.

Has to be Stan.

Our tactic under Murphy seemed to be everyone but Stan behind the ball and then to launch it to him on the halfway line to win. He’d then use his height to win the ball, his agility to turn, his pace to run past half a dozen defenders and his power to try and beat the keeper - with either foot - from 25 yards.

And it basically worked every other game 😍

To top it off he came back to rescue us from Brown and help install Maher and Co on the football side.

Hands down the best player I’ve ever seen. Arguably the second best was fellow England international Sir Chrissy Powell and in the same side Stanley was head of shoulders above even Mendieta’s tormentor.

So many favourites through the years. Malcolm Slater when I was a kid. Probable because along with John Neal he was our football coach at junior school.
Best player ever for me has to be Stanley Victor Collymore. Just the greatest player I have ever seen playing live.
But all time favourite no1 has to be King Kevin. He was just so good at passing and receiving the ball. Always had so much time and gave 100% every game he played.

Thankyou from the bottom of my heart Kevin, for all the enjoyment you have given me over those years you ruled our midfield.

Back