• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memories of favourite players past and present. Who's yours and why?

Has to be Stan.

Our tactic under Murphy seemed to be everyone but Stan behind the ball and then to launch it to him on the halfway line to win. He’d then use his height to win the ball, his agility to turn, his pace to run past half a dozen defenders and his power to try and beat the keeper - with either foot - from 25 yards.

And it basically worked every other game 😍

To top it off he came back to rescue us from Brown and help install Maher and Co on the football side.

Hands down the best player I’ve ever seen. Arguably the second best was fellow England international Sir Chrissy Powell and in the same side Stanley was head of shoulders above even Mendieta’s tormentor.
I literally agree with all of that.

Different players for different reasons;

My first ever game, I was only little, I'd never seen so many people in one place before, and Derek Parker scored from a corner, a header bang in the middle of the South Bank net. First ever goal. The noise around RH from scoring started a love affair with SUFC that lasts to this day.

Sir Freddy for 'that' goal. I was in a pub just outside Manchester with friends (both Man Utd) watching the game, all in respective colours. It was a United pub. Half way through the second half the landlord told me to either leave or be barred. The banter from other regulars was starting to get a bit feisty. No probs, we left, found another pub and I still got to see out one of our greatest games.

Juppy, play off final. Thank you for the memories.

King Kev, at Deepdale, Preston, scored the winner with an absolute belter. Normally after a game I zip my coat up as too many muppets about but not this time. The missus and me straight to the pub in full colours, I was buzzing after that.

Flavs, Crewe away. Saved 2 penalties to secure a draw. His shadow boxing in synch whenever the Col ewe song erupted was a peach. Great day out that one.

Otherwise, it's Saaaammmmmyyyyy !

I have supported Southend for almost 60 years and the Greatest Player To Ever Wear The Shirt Is 'King Billy Best' . Supporters of a certain age will tell you that no other Southend player has come close to him on the pitch . I believe he played in the old First Division for Northampton in there one season stay in that division . Billy came to Southend half way through the 67/68 season , played 20 games and cracked in 14 goals . The following season King Billy scored 10 goals in the FA Cup run . King Billy really shone in the 71/72 season when he was a member of perhaps the best forward line I have seen at Roots Hall . Wingers Terry Johnson and Bernie Lewis crossing the ball for Bill Garner and Gary Moore to knock down for King Billy to put in the net . King Billy also scored the winning goal against Aston Villa in the First round of the FA Cup at Roots Hall , King Billy also scored the goal at Scunthorpe that won Southend promotion . The following season Southend drew Chelsea in the old League Cup at Roots Hall where King Billy was unlucky not to score with a lob that had Bonnetti beaten , and no way did he or the rest of that Southend team look out of place against one of the countrys top teams Sadly the following season 72/73 was King Billys last season at Roots Hall , he signed of his goal scoreing career at Roots Hall with 5 goals in his last 4 goals . Sadley there will never be another player like King Billy to ever grace Roots Hall again .

King Kev. I'm 26 years old now and my very first memories of Southend were him lifting a playoff final trophy and then a year later, literally assisting a title winning goal and lifting the League 1 trophy. Captaining us against Man U and everything that came after in his managerial role. I think he's the most important player of this century so far. Freddy was always my fave but growing older Ive realised Kev is just an absolute and total LEGEND. I unfortunately didnt have the luxury of seeing SVC, Billy Best and the like do their magic so Kev is the one for me.

When I were but a nipper my favourite player was John McKinven. Many more in later years but the dual wing pairing of Britt Assombolonga and Gavin Tomlin live on in my memory. I must have a soft spot for wingers.

What a really difficult question. There have been so many but probably Eastwood just edges it.

I think aside from his obvious ability to take the **** and fire bullets past anyone, the fact that he came in from local non league and just took to it like a duck to water makes it even more special.

Special mentions for:

King kev
Barrett
Ricky Otto
Powell
Big bad Barry
Lenny
Sammy
Flavs

This post is “recent” where does the time go?

Leonard is up there, in terms of quality.

For me, it’s Michael Timlin.

From the “sign me” gesture after a goal when he was on loan from Swindon.

To the worst gash on the head I’ve ever seen, in a playoff semi (Stevenage). Only to turn up 4 days later and score.

To top it off, he did bird whilst with us for lying about speeding fines (mistake being forgetting to ask for an adjournment).

Thanks Michael

33 posts in and not one shout for the SZ voted Player of the Millenium ?
Then what, 5yrs later than that vote, arguably the greatest manager in SUFC history, double promotion, saviour of a shocking L2 team at the time and developed in my view the best footballing team in my 48yrs of watching Southend.

Back to Tilly the player. Sweet left foot, Wickford lad, his dad played with my dad, a proud moment for me was seeing Tilly on the line watching me playing a Sunday league game when i was about 23. Doubt he watched me much that day but **** i was on fire lol.
A player i really admired from the stands was Steve Tilson, i recognised and learnt the stepup from amateur to pro was in essence the time on the ball GOOD players created and Tilly just looked so damn smooth.
No one's mug though, bloomin loved a tackle and was a tough lad, but everyone i knew loved Tilly, he just had that character.
I got a fantastic photo of Steve at MTBD (remember those) after we'd got promoted from L2, i'm holding my baby twins in my arms with them dressed in SUFC baby kits.
The biggest Southend legend in my eyes, he had some great players play for him and not least Kevin Maher his captain.
Yes i watched Colly, Otto, Eastwood, Butler, Marsh, Clark, Moshni, Cusack, Samsome, Crown you name them. But Tilson was so good he could play anywhere ...and he did. Upfront, defence, midfield.

I always say really good players can play anywhere. If i recall Yorkshire Blue once said he even played in goal one day. Anyway, i'm waffling on lol.

33 posts in and not one shout for the SZ voted Player of the Millenium ?
Then what, 5yrs later than that vote, arguably the greatest manager in SUFC history, double promotion, saviour of a shocking L2 team at the time and developed in my view the best footballing team in my 48yrs of watching Southend.

Back to Tilly the player. Sweet left foot, Wickford lad, his dad played with my dad, a proud moment for me was seeing Tilly on the line watching me playing a Sunday league game when i was about 23. Doubt he watched me much that day but **** i was on fire lol.
A player i really admired from the stands was Steve Tilson, i recognised and learnt the stepup from amateur to pro was in essence the time on the ball GOOD players created and Tilly just looked so damn smooth.
No one's mug though, bloomin loved a tackle and was a tough lad, but everyone i knew loved Tilly, he just had that character.
I got a fantastic photo of Steve at MTBD (remember those) after we'd got promoted from L2, i'm holding my baby twins in my arms with them dressed in SUFC baby kits.
The biggest Southend legend in my eyes, he had some great players play for him and not least Kevin Maher his captain.
Yes i watched Colly, Otto, Eastwood, Butler, Marsh, Clark, Moshni, Cusack, Samsome, Crown you name them. But Tilson was so good he could play anywhere ...and he did. Upfront, defence, midfield.

I always say really good players can play anywhere. If i recall Yorkshire Blue once said he even played in goal one day. Anyway, i'm waffling on lol.
I seem to now see tilly from his managerial stint with us and forget how good he was, he was surrounded by very good players as well which made him blend in a bit more, but yes tilly was excellent

As a young fan, I've got great memories of Jason Demetriou. Think I remember him scoring a hat trick whilst I was sat behind the goal in the South Stand. Reminded him of it when i last saw him. SUFC legend.

King Kev and Donut. Close the thread now.

The stick Kev used to take was ridiculous. He could pass, sometimes sideways, he could tackle and he could score goals.

What can I say about Donut. You knew he was having an off day if he was still on the pitch after 90 minutes! When Roy had the bit between his teeth it was a joy to behold. Crown and Donut together often led to goals.

Has to be King Kevin, suffered abuse each week along with Alvin Martin, banners displayed over upper South Bank with Martin Out ( Nothing changes lol ) and take Maher with you
Kept his head down, became a legend with captain of promotion and now the skipper of a sinking ship, whilst holding what little squad he has

Doesnt need to go on twitter proclaiming what he does for the club or on here, we know There is only One King Kevin and looking forward to his richly deserve testimonial

Second only To Dave Smith as one of the all time greats to have been at Roots Hall

Ted Hankey. Because as a 7 year old I fancied myself (sadly nobody else did) as a goalkeeper.
Sammy McCrory and Roy Hollis because of the excitement they engendered whenever they were near the ball.
And of course Stan for the same reason

Back