• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimp Sarnie

Youth Team
Tilly has only managed for a short while we got lucky last year and team spirit got us out of league 2.

Brush is a good coach and tilly is going to be a great manager.

Allthough sometimes this causes problems at clubs but i think we need a Director of football a well known ex manager who can come in help with transfers and give tilly advice even Big Ron would do but i think someone with a southern bias in order for tilly to feel at ease with.

I think this should be our priority signing as we will then be able to bring good loan players and better quality signings.

So the question is who should it be? is there any body living nearby?

I think George Graham would be good

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp Sarnie @ Nov. 29 2006,11:47)]Tilly has only managed for a short while we got lucky last year and team spirit got us out of league 2.

Allthough sometimes this causes problems at clubs but i think we need a Director of football a well known ex manager who can come in help with transfers and give tilly advice even Big Ron would do but i think someone with a southern bias in order for tilly to feel at ease with.

I think this should be our priority signing as we will then be able to bring good loan players and better quality signings.

Right with you 100% until your last sentence!

Even somebody like Mike Walker who's been out of management for a few years but is still involved heavily in scouting etc would do a good job I reckon.

Can anyone, as a matter of interest, point out a club where the manager had someone brought in to "Mentor" him? And did it work in any of those cases?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp Sarnie @ Nov. 29 2006,11:47)]Tilly has only managed for a short while we got lucky last year and team spirit got us out of league 2.

And how much is it going to cost?.

Monies are needed for new players not to pay ex-managers, who if they were any good would be in a job.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 29 2006,11:49)]Can anyone, as a matter of interest, point out a club where the manager had someone brought in to "Mentor" him? And did it work in any of those cases?

rock.gif
Middlesborough when Vegetables came in to help Robson?

I'd worry about the manager spending any money on players if the best we can do is £ 500,000 on Clarke and Paynter and an undisclosed sum for Harrold !!

Yes I'm sure Tilly would love the vote of confidence and someone messing in his affairs at work.. He should be given the chance to work through the problems .. as far as I am concerned he has earn't the right to have all this season and all of next (unless we freefall) to turn things around.. And it will make him a better manager as well if he pulls it off..
Now in amongst all the gloom where are my Spurs away tickets...
cool.gif

Don't agree with the idea I'm afraid. How would you feel if you had been having a hard time at work (and you knew about it) and your employer got someone in to 'keep an eye on you'?

I doubt it would improve me, I'd be looking for another job straight away. One of the key problems is the lack of confidence running through the camp - undermining Tilson is hardly likely to give that a boost.

If it was to work, it would have to be a strictly hands off approach - and it would have to be a person nominated by Tilly.

I cant think of anyone other than perhaps Dave Webb or Peter Taylor that Tilly might want - and neither of those two would be available I dont think.

One other thing, I still cant agree that we were 'lucky' last year. I really cant see how you can be lucky over 46 games...

Its good employment practice to sport sombodys needs or weakness and train or assit them. if tillys to proud to accept that we are at the bottom of the league and he is in charge then hes not the man i thought he was.

even an experienced scout like Mike Walker as mentioned, he has no involvement in training and match days but is there for tilly to scout the next opposistion check out players and have a better book of contacts.

Im sure if Tilson wanted someone in that role he would ask for someone.. to 'put' someone in charge of what was formerly his responsibilities will motivate him about as much as a pay cut would...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Nov. 29 2006,12:01)]One other thing, I still cant agree that we were 'lucky' last year. I really cant see how you can be lucky over 46 games...
Exactly my sentiments for which I've been shouted down a number of times for expressing!

Wonder how long Tango-Man Jordan will persevere with Spud? Funny really how both Palace & Hull look like they fancy a manager change.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SARF @ Nov. 29 2006,12:07)]Im sure if Tilson wanted someone in that role he would ask for someone..  to 'put' someone in charge of what was formerly his responsibilities will motivate him about as much as a pay cut would...
I don't think Shrimp Sarnie is suggesting somebody to come in & take over but to be there in more of a supportive role to provide experience & analysis in what's going wrong plus as also mentioned somebody with wider contacts to help us in that tricky January loan-market!

The biggest mistake Tilson, and worse, has made so far is not getting the players heads right (calm, professional, focused) at Layer Rd - and we are paying a price for the debacle.

Bit of mix up getting Francis and Hunt settled in - but hes doing OK keeping them playing and keeping them together.

If we meltdown and lose it completely his reputation goes
down the pan (no-one will then recall the good times) so the
biggest tests are still to come for him.

The next two games at the Hall are vital and no established
playmaker - maybe an opportunity for some-one or
a disaster waiting to happen.

Interesting to see if the fear factor appears.

McCarthey is a terrible manager and will have a terrible
team lumping it about - give me Tilsons way anyday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh boy @ Nov. 29 2006,12:16)]McCarthey is a terrible manager and will have a terrible
team lumping it about - give me Tilsons way anyday.
3-1 to Wolves then?
sad.gif

I'm with Jai on this one. I think at the moment the root problem is confidence, and I really don't see how bringing in someone over Tilly's head is going to do anything at all for his confidence or that of the team. If he asked for and nominated someone, that would be a different situation but  I don't think you can impose this.

So fed up with hearing that Tilly has deserved to manage SUFC almost indefinitely. Every manager is guaged on results and quite clearly ours just aren't good enough. Add to that money poorly spent, an inability to attract loan players given that Barnsley didn't have any trouble and even ColU attracted a West Ham youngster, then it all adds up to a disastrous season to date.
If the manager is not to blame, aided quite admirably by his squad, then who the hell is !
Tilly was disappointed that Norwich were not allowed permission to speak to him, and each week appears tactically naive. He has been playing players out of position, making substitutions far too late, and I personally like to see managers who direct players. They all need telling sometimes and Tilly and Brush, every week, sit in the dugout making notes providing little or no instruction. Players need a kick up the backside from time to time, and it angers when visiting managers prove, even when they're winning, that instructions and bo**ockings really are necessary.
I would also be pleased to learn whether Tilly signed the extended contract offered as this would show the right attitude and commitment.
I just don't think the team or management are up to it at this level and it annoys me that people appear to be happy or even accept that it is acceptable to undo the success of the past 2 years on basically sentimental grounds.

I don't think anyone thinks that Tilson is that for off
the mark. Its not as if he getting it completely wrong
or as if the team are completely falling apart (current
dimwit suspensions excepted).

Think Hammell and Francis are reasonable Champ'ship
signings and he needs a bit more something in midfield
but they can compete Ok all over the pitch.

Luck has been gruesome but the quality is just about
there.

If anything a harder competitive edge, a bit of nouse
and confidence is all thats really missing. Perhaps a bit
more leadership from the dug out as well.

I like his belief in young (free, cheap) players and would rather give it a go with some untried talent than old lags
who don't give a sh!te.

Anyway hes an Essex man, one of us - and I really like that.

Back