• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Clarke

Convict Captain Clarke declares half way through day 3 on 329*. Very unselfish I'd say he was 5 away from equalling Mark Taylor's 334 as the highest score by a convict skipper and 5 away from Bradman. Beyond that and with the time available he could have gone on to beat Lara's 400* and still had over 2 days to bowl India out. :clap:

I've never understood the disdain the Australian public seem to have for him. Quality batsman and seems a nice bloke too.

I think if anything he was making a point of his unselfishness. Just a year ago he was booed by the Sydney crowd (his home ground) and criticism of his attidude, ego and heart were levelled at him. Think this will do him far more good than harm as Australian captain. It did give a full amount of time to have a go at the Indian batsmen before the close, but tactically I dont think he would have received too much criticism if he has batted for another hour or until the morning.

Im in two minds who I want to win this one. I have a strong dislike for both teams and their fans, but probably have more of a grudging respect for some of Australias players (particularly Ponting) and thier attitude to Test Cricket. However if India keep being as woeful as they are, they are just going to divert even more attention to the limited overs stuff, which ultimately will be bad for Test cricket, unless the other countries rally together.

I think if anything he was making a point of his unselfishness. Just a year ago he was booed by the Sydney crowd (his home ground) and criticism of his attidude, ego and heart were levelled at him. Think this will do him far more good than harm as Australian captain. It did give a full amount of time to have a go at the Indian batsmen before the close, but tactically I dont think he would have received too much criticism if he has batted for another hour or until the morning.

Im in two minds who I want to win this one. I have a strong dislike for both teams and their fans, but probably have more of a grudging respect for some of Australias players (particularly Ponting) and thier attitude to Test Cricket. However if India keep being as woeful as they are, they are just going to divert even more attention to the limited overs stuff, which ultimately will be bad for Test cricket, unless the other countries rally together.

Good point.

Clarke and Katich had a big bust up in the dressing room over Clark's supposed selfishness in (and this is honestly true) not singing the team song.

Good point.

Clarke and Katich had a big bust up in the dressing room over Clark's supposed selfishness in (and this is honestly true) not singing the team song.

I've read a couple of things lately that seem to indicate England now have a team song! I wonder how long it will be til we start referring to the 'Baggy/Ordinary Blue Cap'.....

I've read a couple of things lately that seem to indicate England now have a team song! I wonder how long it will be til we start referring to the 'Baggy/Ordinary Blue Cap'.....

I would hope it's "Everywhere we go"

I hope that Australia win this series. I have a grudging respect for their decade + dominance, because although arrogant, they just wanted to win everything. Whereas India, IMO, have systematically attempted to steal and administer the game for their own commercial gains in recent years, coinciding with their rise in playing standard. Their utter arrogance and contempt towards anybody outside the sub continent is appalling and our battering of them last summer was a thing of sheer beauty.

I hope that Australia win this series. I have a grudging respect for their decade + dominance, because although arrogant, they just wanted to win everything. Whereas India, IMO, have systematically attempted to steal and administer the game for their own commercial gains in recent years, coinciding with their rise in playing standard. Their utter arrogance and contempt towards anybody outside the sub continent is appalling and our battering of them last summer was a thing of sheer beauty.

Added to which this is now a very poor Indian side, Ghambir, Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar & Zaheer Khan will all retire about the same time IMO, and they'll need to blood a batch of inexperienced players all at once. At least the convicts ecognised this and have tried to blood young players. Having said that their top three of Warner, Cowan & Marsh look like walking wickets to me.

Back