• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Jackson, the Thriller album

Let me first say this before i get mangled by some.

He was found not guilty.............................................

BUT i wouldn't let him babysit my daughter, and yes he's a bit of a fruitloop who's music i've not enjoyed since being a child myself.

However i listened to Thriller the other day for the first time since i was about 8 years old.
I got a shock to be honest.
What a great iconic album with essentially legendary tunes which defined a pop music genre.
Thriller, Beat it, Billie Jean, total classics which have stood the test of time and brought back memories of his thriller video which caused a storm of excitement at my junior school.

I wondered what others thought about this?
Should his music be shunned? Was it a good album?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ Aug. 18 2005,06:38)]Let me first say this before i get mangled by some.

He was found not guilty.............................................

BUT i wouldn't let him babysit my daughter, and yes he's a bit of a fruitloop who's music i've not enjoyed since being a child myself.

However i listened to Thriller the other day for the first time since i was about 8 years old.
I got a shock to be honest.
What a great iconic album with essentially legendary tunes which defined a pop music genre.
Thriller, Beat it, Billie Jean, total classics which have stood the test of time and brought back memories of his thriller video which caused a storm of excitement at my junior school.

I wondered what others thought about this?
Should his music be shunned? Was it a good album?
Off the wall and Thriller were my favourites.

'but the kid is not my son' - but I doubt that would stop him!
wow.gif

It is a good album, my mate bought it for me as a present last year & I listen to it every now & again on the iPod. Like you, Beat It particularly brings back memories of being at primary school!

I wouldn't give him the time of day now though.

There's no question that during the 1980s, when Jackson was at the peak of his music-writing and performing powers, that he came close to musical genius.  There wasn't anyone in his league.  Watch the video to Thriller, and then watch (say) any British band's video from the same period.  You would think that Jackson's video was 20 years ahead of its time.

Ask any MTV pundit, and they effectively credit Jackson with creating the music video.  His stage performances - in particular his choreography - was also out-of-this-world.

He was, unquestionably, the king of pop at that time.

It is what makes his descent into self-loathing (since anyone who has that much plastic surgery surely does not love themselves), near-bankruptcy and an unhealthy friendship with young boys all the more tragic.

But then he is a truly tragic figure - anyone so ruthlessly denied a childhood as he was (he was performing with the Jackson 5 from the age of about 5 or 6, and was never allowed to stop - the tales of him being beaten by his father have never been denied) will very often end up having a tragic, abusive (to himself and to others) life of his own.

sad.gif

Matt

P.S. As for Thriller, it remains one of the best pop albums ever written. Thriller, Billie Jean, Beat It, Human Nature are all awesome songs.

He obviously was a very talented man and gained fans all over the world....not my cup of tea though musically and I personally never saw the fuss about Thriller.....however many millions of people disagreed with me so there you go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 18 2005,09:35)]Ask any MTV pundit, and they effectively credit Jackson with creating the music video.  His stage performances - in particular his choreography - was also out-of-this-world.
Anyone remember his MTV live appearance in the 80's?

He danced to Billie Jean and first unveiled the Moonwalk.

Electrifying TV, the crowd are in a total frenzy and it's compelling viewing.

Back