• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
Match report: Millwall 1, Southend United 0

TEN-MAN Southend United sunk to a 1-0 defeat at play-off rivals Millwall this afternoon.

More...

Discuss...

Maybe more detail from me later. But I hate losing to those *****. It was our 10 men (9 for the last 25 mins when Wordsworth went missing) vs 12. Mariner is not fit to referee.

We looked better than them with a one-man disadvantage and the biggest insult of the day is that they've overtaken us.

Timlin and Wordsworth were shocking today, really poor. Only Marriner had a worse game. Onyedinma was very lively for them and Fortune our best player. He should never have been subbed. He should have carried on to partner Robinson and then been rested on Tuesday if necessary.

Best team lost. To be fair neither side played well but we should be proud of the way we battled with ten men. Ref did us no favours and should have given us at least one if not two penalties. Red card hard to say whether it was or not. But Atkinson was late and looked like he had studs up, so can see why it was given. Too many of our players had off days particularly Wordsworth and Timlin. But a draw would have been fair result. Great support from us, Millwall their usual scummyselves

Discuss...

Maybe more detail from me later. But I hate losing to those *****. It was our 10 men (9 for the last 25 mins when Wordsworth went missing) vs 12. Mariner is not fit to referee.

We looked better than them with a one-man disadvantage and the biggest insult of the day is that they've overtaken us.

What's wrong with Millwall? Wish we'd stop bumlicking West Ham. At least they have their own identity. I had to cringe at our fans saying "You're gonna run from the West Ham" in the cup at our place a few years back. They don't have a problem with us.

Poor game. We probably shaded it before the red card without really looking like scoring. They really weren't any great shakes either. Disappointed in the goal we conceded though, thought Demetriou was slightly out of position and Ted looked a little flat footed and might disappointed not to have done better.

Surprised Cox came off when he did, was starting to drop off into little pockets and I'd like to have seen us go three at the back with Demetriou coming off, seeing as we had a winger over that side and put Nouble up there with Robinson who looks quick if short of quality.

Our entire midfield were shocking. Atkinson gets himself sent off ( if it was one if theirs we would have been baying for blood). If you go in like that you run the risk of being sent off---- don't put yourself in that position. Lenny was poor by any standard, Timlin worse and scuffed our best chance of the first half and words fail me to adequately describe Wordsworth contribution. I had this opinion of the last three before the sending off. Brown got the Subs wrong for me in terms of who came off I have no idea how Wordsworth stayed on the pitch. What did he actually contribute that myself and everyone around me missed?
immediate thought was ted could/should have saved their goal but happy to be proved wrong when I see it again. He did make some good saves /blocks .Impressed with Thompson my man of the match
Lastly can we please shoot when we have a chance and stop trying to be so bloody clever !

Best team lost- I'm not so sure. They missed a sitter first half and had some great opportunities second half

Last edited:
Our entire midfield were shocking. Atkinson gets himself sent off ( if it was one if theirs we would have been baying for blood). If you go in like that you run the risk of being sent off---- don't put yourself in that position. Lenny was poor by any standard, Timlin worse and scuffed our best chance of the first half and words fail me to adequately describe Wordsworth contribution. I had this opinion of the last three before the sending off. Brown got the Subs wrong for me in terms of who came off I have no idea how Wordsworth stayed on the pitch. What did he actually contribute that myself and everyone around me missed?
Lastly can we please shoot when we have a chance and stop trying to be so bloody clever !
Lastly l

Best at team lost- I'm not so sure. They missed a sitter first half and had some great opportunities second half

On the radio, they couldn't stop praising Leonard, saying he was immense and doing the work of two.

On the radio, they couldn't stop praising Leonard, saying he was immense and doing the work of two.
He was certainly the pick of the midfield , but I lost count of how many mistakes he made, two of which let them through on goal. Maybe I am being unfair in that he was knackered from doing the work of three ( Wordsworth was that bad) I guess today highlighted how much running Atkinson does

Southend looking resplendent in bright pink while Millwall looked like a collection of Tesco carrier bags. We started well - within 5 minutes Cox had a decent penalty shout and had shot just over from a great 1-2. In the opening stages his quality is very evident and his understanding with Fortune shows. At that point we seemed to know where our teammates were and found them. Even hopeful balls are actually hopeful.

And defensively there were always bodies in way - be it a defender or Smith. Fortune even put his head in the way of a high kick - rightfully a yellow, not malicious but dangerous play.

20 minutes in Thompson failed to connect with a header when he managed to get a foot taller than anyone else. After that chance we started to look a bit raggedy.

On 35 Atkinson was off - should have been a yellow, like the earlier incident dangerous not malicious - but studs on a shin is gonna hurt.

Felt like we just wanted to hang on till half time from then on, a chance to regroup - but we had a great chance on 40 minutes created with a Fortune back heal taking 2 players out but Demetriou (I think) put the resulting shot wide.

The 1st half ended with the ref blowing up while Coker was still pondering on what to do with a free kick than ended up untaken.

In the second half the defence were solid on the whole. Ferdinand particularly impressed me with a backwards header to our own player. He got caught on pace a couple of times but when that happens he tends to preempt what will happen next and still gets the ball off the striker. Another moment that sticks in my mind was Thompson deftly taking the ball off the toes of their striker as he lined up to shoot.

Unpunished handballs were mounting up - the ref really was the all unseeing eye.

We were not creating too much that was tangible in the second half. Attacking but lots of crosses to no one. There were chances though- on an hour Fortunate had a blistering shot parried away, just before making way for Theo Robinson - adding his pace seemed a good idea IMO.

The home fans were quiet - homophobic and sexist chants aside, and a vocal support of John Terry in a feeble attempt to annoy Anton. That was until 'down the Den' as they spat their jellied eels out (then a few rounds of 'no one likes us') on 62 minutes - a carbon copy of their FA cup goal, headed goal from far goal post - the extra man paying dividends.

Robinson worked hard and was a real cat among the pigeons and but a lack of game time with the others meant link up was lacking despite the pace and effort. Another penalty shout went begging as McGlashan ran in the area with the ball at his feet and propelled forward under a challenge.

Thompson heading away a goal bound effort was one of the last things of note. And Worrall running the ball out of play instead of making use of a decent chance after recently joining the pitch for them.
The 4th official gave us 4 minutes additional time - more than the ref had all day. But that was soon gone and apart from a group of home fans hanging over the barrier to try to encourage Coker over for a ruck - that was that and everyone moved on to look for somewhere warm.

What's wrong with Millwall? Wish we'd stop bumlicking West Ham. At least they have their own identity. I had to cringe at our fans saying "You're gonna run from the West Ham" in the cup at our place a few years back. They don't have a problem with us.
And that identity is racism and fighting. Their fans are scumbags (well not all of them). I'm assuming you weren't at the game to ask 'what's wrong with Millwall' when their fans were trying to get onto the pitch and attack our players as well as acting like a complete bunch of ***** all game, and to top it off they racially abused our player, that's what's wrong with Millwall. I dislike West Ham as much if not more than Millwall, you don't have to like one and dislike the other.

And that identity is racism and fighting. Their fans are scumbags (well not all of them). I'm assuming you weren't at the game to ask 'what's wrong with Millwall' when their fans were trying to get onto the pitch and attack our players as well as acting like a complete bunch of ***** all game, and to top it off they racially abused our player, that's what's wrong with Millwall. I dislike West Ham as much if not more than Millwall, you don't have to like one and dislike the other.
I had a chat with a nice Millwall fan as we both headed South on the train. I know three Millwall fans that are nice people. But the actions of some of there number today live up to the cliches. The club you support is generally accident of birth but they are certainly not a club I would like to be associated with.

I had a chat with a nice Millwall fan as we both headed South on the train. I know three Millwall fans that are nice people. But the actions of some of there number today live up to the cliches. The club you support is generally accident of birth but they are certainly not a club I would like to be associated with.
I'm sure plenty of Millwall fans are nice people, I know it's not all of them and that all clubs have their idiotic minority. Unfortunately Millwall's 'minority' appears to be a lot bigger and more vile than that of other clubs. Which is highlighted by all the Britain First types on twitter that seem to find the claims of racism amusing rather than concerning. It's not an isolated incident either, there were claims of them being racist to a Watford player a few weeks back as well.

Millwall has always been a tough place to go to. You can't compare their support with ours even if both have changed very little since the 80's, but we've never been up there with clubs like Millwall, Leeds, Pompey, etc. What they were doing today, as people on here have already said, was trying to rile the team. Most Millwall fans are sound, yes, there are problems with racism, but they tend to look after their, own (Danny ****tu/Jimmy Abdou was/are loved down there. A lot of Millwall are south London born and bred, but to say that they're all scumbags is a generalisation. We took for our standards alot of fans today, I bit there were loads who can't remember the old days, hence the shock factor.

One of our biggest problems today that MAF and Cox were playing too far apart! At times they were 30 yards apart and link up play was missing. Taking MAF off was an error but Brown probably did that so he can get another 60 mins out of him Tuesday! Within 5 mins the ball wasn't being held up and took Theo 10 / 15 mins to get into the game. We had 0 shots on target so think that says a lot, we were very wasteful with the final ball. A great example of that was Theo's great run down the left, beat his man and then utterly scuffed his ball across. Our crossing was poor and we didn't make the most of our set-pieces!

TBH 0-0 would have been fair and going down to 10 wasn't that costly as we actually looked less like conceding as we kept getting caught up the pitch and getting done on the counter. The 10 dogs pace caused us big problems, especially early on!

Disappointing and missing the next 2 as off to Spain!

Kev

Thought ref was awful today, how did he not give penalty when Mcglashan was brought down in 2nd half. So many decisions went against us.

The red card was 50-50 - and a challenge in that part of the pitch after 32 minutes?
Heat of the moment I guess, but someone alluded to Demetriou being SLIGHTLY out of positon for the goal. He got suckered in to leaving Onyedinma a free header.
I'm sure someone will come back on this, but Smith's dive seemed to be slow motion.

Back