• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Home now and having a brandy to warm up!

Not to much to mention that others haven't already said.

It was always going to be a tough game, and made even worse by a harsh red card imo (Worthy of a yellow card though).

Who knows whether the scoreline would have been different if we played 11 v 11 throughout the 90 minutes, but even with us down to 10 men, I still think we put in a decent shift & didn't totally collapse (& obviously our backs were against the wall at times, but so were theirs, I think we contained them well overrall, despite being a man down).

Oddly, I don't feel as p1ssed off as I would have initially thought at losing to Millwall.

Although I still think a point at full time would have been the most fair result overall though, even if we did have 11 players on the pitch for the 94 minutes. We made a goal line cleareance but also had at least 1 shout for a penalty to even it up. Lady Luck wasn't on our side this afternoon.

I'm sure we will bounce back from this with the same confidence that we entered this game into.

I thought PB's sub's were the correct ones, MAF looked knackered & rightly so, he ran his heart out for the cause (as did Leonard)

In hindsight (which is easy to say of course) I think McGlashan should have come on about 10 minutes earlier than planned for Timlin, & possibly Ranger (if he was on the bench & match fit) might have been a better attacking sub option over Nouble for Cox...but who knows, it's all theory).

Anyway, onwards & upwards, we all march on, & bring on Oxford on Tuesday night.

UTB

:loyalsupporter:

Timlin and Wordsworth very poor today . Leonard Mom for me with Thommo a close 2nd.After the sending off which looked a yellow we were really against it but we still had the majority of possession and certainly didn't give up.The subs were hampered by being down to 10 men and the style of play.As for the Millwall fans they obviously like to play their part and the end of the match the reactions of Anton and Ben reminded me of the Col U game a few years ago with Barrett and Clarke ........all part of the passion of the game unfortunately tastes better when you win.Not the end of the world but poor officials have cost us a point today,Millwall were a poor side compared to Scunthorpe, Sheffield Utd and Rochdale but if I was a Lions supporter I would be concerned about the dens pitch which a couple of times stopped their strikers from taking good opportunities.
Still think this squad can do it just wasn't our day

60% possession but no shots on target. :sad:

tDfIZe.png

Firstly, £26 to watch football at this level is appalling. There should be some sort of cap for a ticket price at each level of the game. I believe we paid £6 more to watch that than you have to as a travelling Premier League fan.

And so. The game hinged on one decision, the sending off of Will Atkinson which (from the perspective of a former referee) was an appallingly bad challenge. High, late, reckless and out of control. Red card all day, and frankly if you want to argue that I wont give you the time of day. The thing was, there was absolutely no need for him to do that. And so, we played against one of the better in form teams with 10 for an hour. Actually, we didn't do bad. We didn't go into our shell, we didn't try to grimly hang on for a point. PB kept Cox and Fortune up front and we made a valiant attempt at three points. The downside was that Leonard, Wordsworth and Timlin had to do the work of four. And the downside of that was neither Timlin or Wordsworth had a good game. McGlashan looked to be downed for a penalty, impossible to see from our vantage point, but the television pictures seems to suggest it was. However, you'd struggle to come up with a really good chance we had. So Millwall possibly just shaded it. just.

Millwall. Disgraceful performance from their so called fans. Ok, so we've all been there and seen the feral children react when they score. Its not so much a celebration of a goal but more of an excuse to run towards the away end making excitable hand gestures. You expect that. But what I found particularly disgusting today was the treatment meted out to Anton Ferdinand, especially as it bordered on racism and was certainly linked to an alleged racist incident. Just not to the sort of **** I want to listen to. And whilst I understand that Anton wanted to have a dig back, being the skipper of Southend United I question the judgement of flashing a West Ham cross at them.

I didn't enjoy today.

Last edited:
I thought Cox was tripped in the penalty area in the first few minutes of the game. As the McGlashan penalty shout was down the other end it was difficult to have an opinion on it, however I thought the one on Cox could easily have been given.

What flavor crisps, though?

I'd say Worcester Sauce are probably worth the £1.50 outlay, but Smokey Bacon or Roasted Chicken, only a £1.00 in my book, so on that basis, clearly daylight robbery. London prices strike again!

Firstly, £26 to watch football at this level is appalling. There should be some sort of cap for a ticket price at each level of the game. I believe we paid £6 more to watch that than you have to as a travelling Premier League fan.
The Premier League away ticket price cap is £30 but I know Southampton only charge away fans £20. There might be others that charge less as well.
I think some away prices in the Championship are £35.

Midfield worried me today. Atkinson does what it says on the tin. I personally thought it was a red, thats my opinion, assume he now misses 3 games. Timlin was poor but with Timlin you get the work ethic, even when not playing well he never goes missing. Woody is more of a concern, no doubt he is one of our most creative players, and dangerous from set pieces etc as well as chipping in with goals from open play. But when like today his game goes missing then im not sure what he brings to the team. Im going Tuesday, but worried about the midfield options. I really hope that Glash gets a chance, and would also play Timlin in the middle with Lenny, but then who plays left? Or do we stick with Woody and leave Timlin out left. Think Oxford away is going to be a very tough game

On the radio, they couldn't stop praising Leonard, saying he was immense and doing the work of two.

He was superb- I think the Mariner performance has sent people Into a virtual reality, The ground he covered to make up the loss off Atkinson was immense.

He was superb- I think the Mariner performance has sent people Into a virtual reality, The ground he covered to make up the loss off Atkinson was immense.

agree 100%, thought he was excellent today, least he tried to push forward when able, Wordsworth seemed very reluctant to do that today which was very frustrating

Also thought Lenny was very good today, he was everywhere this afternoon, didn't stop running, even covering with a couple of great tackles at RB and came close to my MotM Thompson, who is proving himself again and again alongside Anton. Reckon we could have bagged the 3 points today against a poor Millwall side, the 10 men proved our undoing as we tired towards the middle of the second half.

Worth mentioning a sublime piece of skill by Fortune in the 1st half when he almost set up Demetriou(?) who scuffed his shot wide of the far post.

All else has been said...

One thing, Millwall's fans are a throwback to the dark days - they are, albeit a minority, just plain aggressive and don't actually sing except for the 'no-one likes us' bulls**t, sad to hear of the racist comments against McG, Millwall scum will never change!

First trip to the New Den, found it a sterile cold stadium, and for all its warts and faults give me Roots Hall any day!

A couple of players today looked like they couldn't particularly be bothered to play today. Wordsworth being the most guilty.

I wouldn't say Coker wasn't interested, but he seems to have picked up a reluctance to get forward recently. Timlin seemed to struggle with picking out his teammates at any point today.

There were a number of players that looked tired today, but having had a rest earlier this week, along with the rest from the Bolton game - this really shouldn't be the case!

On a plus side, Thompson didn't put a foot wrong, and McGlashan looked good again when he came on... must be worth a start on Tuesday night.

Firstly, I was not at the game. Secondly, there is no place for racist or homophobic comments or insults - anywhere.
But I am surprised at the comments re Millwall fans. As a poster posted - they have an identity. It is virtually a football brand these days and I would imagine there is pressure for each generation to live up to 50 or 60 years of building the brand.
I have been to both New and Old Den's. I knew the environment I was going to and so embraced it as a unique experience and when younger almost a right of passage. Pathetic as I know that is.
Every away day is different. Torquay United away? Is West Country atmosphere, a few pints, a pasty and almost a holiday environment. Hartlepool United? Cold, bleak, cheap, stick out like a sore thumb and the locals can be nasty.
Going to follow your club, outside of the sanitised Premier League, is a mix of excitement, fun, fear and adrenaline.It was always part of the experience.

PS. Please NEVER associate ourselves with West Ham United. I live in Spain and people ask me if that lot are "your big club"? Playing Millwall has nothing whatsoever to do with WHU and should never be mentioned!!

I wouldn't say Coker wasn't interested, but he seems to have picked up a reluctance to get forward recently. Timlin seemed to struggle with picking out his teammates at any point today.
Coker got forward plenty last Saturday?

Back