• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
I'm only on the net at work at the moment, so didnt catch up with any comments on the game over the weekend.

I thought we did ok after a very shakey, slow start and after Vale's second, we dominated. But did we improve or did Vale sit back? Bit of both I reckon, but the signs were encouraging.

I thought Cole had a decent enough game - looked understandably nervy, but put in some great balls (though 50% were crap too!).

I was more impressed listening to his interview on BBC Essex. He sounded totally gutted. I imagined him to be like "... was great to play - better luck next time etc etc" but he sounded totally determined to "not go back down a division" and that all the lads are desperate to do well.

Brill attitude and lets hope they live up to their attitudes!!

Hello there with regards to mitch cole i think he played ok. A bit like our whole side they going to take a few games to find there feet once they do i think ww will do ok. Mitch is going to be one to look out for i think he will get better as the season goes on. I think his pace and skill will scare right backs just give him time i think.

Looks a class act to me, ages since we've had a decent winger prepared to take players on and whip in some pacy crosses. Some of the crossese were poor but I think as the season progresses Fredy and Wayne and the Goat will be able to read the crosses better. If we can get Gower working his magic, should create a lot of chances.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ Aug. 08 2005,08:44)]Looks a class act to me, ages since we've had a decent winger prepared to take players on and whip in some pacy crosses. Some of the crossese were poor but I think as the season progresses Fredy and Wayne and the Goat will be able to read the crosses better. If we can get Gower working his magic, should create a lot of chances.
Exactly, and we all know a major difference between L1 and L2 is the quality of the finishing, we have strrikers (particularly in Freddy and The Goat) who can score plenty at this level if the service is good.

Mitchell is effectively playing 3 leagues higher so will take some time to adjust. Heard an interview where he said the pre-season training killed him so reckon give him time then we will hopefully turn out to be a top signing

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 08 2005,08:31)]looked understandably nervy, but put in some great balls (though 50% were crap too!).
Nearer 90% wasn't it? Still, enough good moments to suggest he'll do well, especially given what a leap up in class it will be from Conference South to League 1.

Personally I would have started with Gower and given Cole 20 minutes at the end. Still, what do I know?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ Aug. 08 2005,09:59)]Mitchell is effectively playing 3 leagues higher so will take some time to adjust. Heard an interview where he said the pre-season training killed him so reckon give him time then we will hopefully turn out to be a top signing
That is always my concern with players making the step up. The difference in fitness levels needed are sometimes the reason why they can't play at a higher level.

Scott Forbes, Belgrave, Gower... all are players that have had skill but just lack the ability to be 100% fit, and players like that when only firing on 70% fitness lose their effectiveness.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Aug. 08 2005,10:16)]Personally I would have started with Gower and given Cole 20 minutes at the end. Still, what do I know?
rock.gif
Same here
wow.gif

I think all the comments on here have considerable merit. His ball control is excellent if you ask me, but he needs to use this skill a bit more effectively to turn his opponent inside out and work hard with his crossing abilities in a controlled manner.

One cross which showed his inexperience at this level was the ball fizzed in to Eastwood with considerable pace. It had pin-point accuracy, but came to Freddy at warp factor 9, giving Freddy little chance of controlling it for a shot on goal.

Subsequently, the ball just (sort of) bounced off of him and rolled out harmlessly for a goal-kick.

Excellent prospect, but needs to work hard in training.

He'll come good, I reckon. Some of his touches were excellent and despite his seeming love for low crosses, in the second half he put a few useful ones in. He'll just get better the more games he plays, after all it's a big step up for the lad.

I didnt think he had a good game. First half he didnt take anyone on and his crossing was poor. They were mostly along the ground.

First half i thought he stuggled a little but he did manage to beat a decent right back a couple of times but the final ball was somewhat a disappointment, having said that , his second half performance was very encouraging and he looked a very good addition to the team.

I say give the lad time and i think he'll come good.

I thought he had a good game. I disagree he didn't take people on in the first half - we didn't work it out to him very often. Yas some of his crosses were disappointing. I think he fizzed a couple of low ones in on purpose for Freddy (they linked up quite well didn't they?). Nothing wrong with putting hard crosses over. If Freddy can't control them it's up to him to learn how to deal with them. You can do more with a ball with momentum than a dead one.

One other thing - I thought the crowd was quiet during that tough 1st half, almost like WE needed to adjust to League 1. We didn't really get going until Gray's super goal. It's going to be much harder this year, and teams won't be so easy to break down this year (they weren't THAT easy to break down last year, remember Chester, Shrewsbury et al putting 10 men behind the ball?), and the boys need the encouragement as they're doing it, not just once they've done it.

Anyway, roll on this season, looks like it'll be fun!

Athough it never quite came off for him he was the one player who I thought always looked on the brink of making something happen. There's no doubting his ability, so I'll wait and see what his end product is like over the next few games before rushing to any judgement.

Well, I thought Cole flattered to deceive in all fairness. He showed a lot of promise on the ball, the crowd were on the edge of their seats when he had the ball at his feet almost as if they expected something to happen. Very much like Gower during his first season with us. But on too many occassion to cross didn't match the run he had made. To be fair to him though, we don't have a lot of height to aim for, only really Beno when he got in the box, and when they were in the air, the defence was winning the ball all the time. So he was doing the right thing really but Freddy had a poor game and nothing went right for him.

I also thought that Vale's right back (Abbey?) had a good game and wasn't beaten easily by Cole. Something Cole will have to work harder on. All in all though, he showed flashes of his ability and once he adjusts to how we play, the standard and pace of the division, he'll be a hit. Freddy hit the ground running last season whereas Cole hasn't so much.

If the wing boo-boys give Cole the same treatment Gower got last year I fear for him- the kid's only 19 and has made a huge leap from non-league. I really hope people are prepared to be patient and not expect the finished article because the boy is a phenomenal prospect.

I though Cole had a decent game, he is for a start one of those unusual creatures a player who is naturally left footed. One lovely chip with the outside of his right foot in the 2nd half was top class and wrong footed the defence. In view he has stepped up three divisions he needs encouragement not knocking & abuse.

I thought Cole was our best player in the 2nd half, he has the best left foot I've seen at this club for a long time. I wouldn't have started with Gower, he seems to have more impact when he comes off the bench.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Aug. 08 2005,14:36)]I also thought that Vale's right back (Abbey?) had a good game and wasn't beaten easily by Cole.
Thats what i tried to get at in my previous post, was the fact that the right back Abbey looked a very solid and quick right back, so Cole did well to get pass him at all, not sure he will come up against that good of a full back every week ( well i hope not anyway)
down.gif

Back