• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mitchell Cole

Banksy

First XI
What's the point of having him in the suad - hardly ever figures and when and if we get back to full strength will he then be surplus to requirements ? Afterall, nobody is producing that match winning performance at the moment.
Nothing ventured - nothing gained. Give him a go !

I think he is useful as a sub in the last 20 minutes or so against tiring legs.

The main problem is he normally gets taken out though!

There's something about his fitness which isn't right. He tires too quickly and he can be lazy. If he puts the effort in, etc. then he's a damn good prospect and can beat any man with the ball at his feet. When he came on against Preston, he didn't touch the ball until 15 minutes after he came on, and even then, he lost it. When you're not getting the ball you should try and go looking for it, but he doesn't get involved enough. It's a shame, as he's a good prospect and a very good player on his day.

I am with Banksy on this one I think...

Coley has been at the club long enough now to have been pushed into the first team squad. I am luke warm on JCR as I feel he slows play up too much.

Coley at least can attack with pace. I think he is good against a slower full back. Surely with JCR's average performances so far this season it makes sense to give him a chance surely.

I think Tilly should either bite the bullet and give him a go or let him go as he clearly has some talent but im not sure we are in a position to harness it ( ame as Kightly).
blush.gif

JCR's average performances ?

He has been quality last 3 games and has given us an outlet that can at least hold onto the ball, plus his distribution and end product have been far better.

Cole is useful to have as a sub and I always like seeing him come on in the second half but he certainly shouldnt start in front of Gower or JCR. Think Hooper is in front as well at the moment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamessufc88 @ Nov. 20 2006,11:25)]There's something about his fitness which isn't right.  He tires too quickly and he can be lazy.  If he puts the effort in, etc. then he's a damn good prospect and can beat any man with the ball at his feet.  When he came on against Preston, he didn't touch the ball until 15 minutes after he came on, and even then, he lost it.  When you're not getting the ball you should try and go looking for it, but he doesn't get involved enough.  It's a shame, as he's a good prospect and a very good player on his day.
against preston mitchell came on in the 79 min, so could you please explain how he didnt touch the ball for 15 mins, and then it was played over the right side of the field, so he didnt really get a chance to be involved

Indeed Cole didnt get a chance to get in the game for that match. At the end of last season he was making a huge impact when brought on.

Id like to see more of Cole, but not at the expense of JCR or Gower at the moment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Nov. 20 2006,11:47)]JCR's average performances ?

He has been quality last 3 games and has given us an outlet that can at least hold onto the ball, plus his distribution and end product have been far better.

Cole is useful to have as a sub and I always like seeing him come on in the second half but he certainly shouldnt start in front of Gower or JCR. Think Hooper is in front as well at the moment.
I have really gone full circle with JCR in recent weeks.

I used to think he was creative and tricky with a eye for a pass.

However recently I have been left feeling cold by him. He slows the play up so many times allowing people to come back and defend in mass.

As a winger he has scored the sum total of no goals from midfield in his what 20 plus games for us now. His work rate is fantastic so no complaints there but he dosent ever seem to create a goal.

If you compare that to say Gary Hooper who comes on and goes for goal everytime I find it hard to remain in JCR's camp.

Coley is a bit of an impact player but how is he going to become anything other than unless given a chance.

DtS  
glare.gif

In fairness JCR is getting a fair few amount of crosses in etc since his return, the fact that Freddy wont attack the 6 yard box only leaves Harrold in there.

Defensively he is also very good at tracking back.

Judging him by goals is misleading with him too as unlike Gower he isnt one to cut inside, he prefers to go outside and cross.

Hooper did do well when he came on, albeit against tired defenders, and will be pushing JCR for a starting place.

I think JCR is worth his place in the side, but purely on his defensive work.

His harrying and back-tracking has been first-rate for a winger, and he also relieves pressure from the defence by providing an outlet. However he offers zero attacking threat, other than occupying a defender. I'm struggling to recall a decent shot, a defence splitting pass (or even a pass to put a team-mate in a better position than he was) and I've seen about 3 crosses that have cleared the first man. JCR has replaced Mark Bentley in terms of energy and industry on the right, but he lacks Bentley's directness and goal threat.

JCR has played this season, by my calculations, 1142 minutes, during which we've scored 9 goals.

2 were penalties, one was a direct free-kick. A further 2 were from set-pieces (Barrett's goals v Sunderland). That leaves four goals from open play - two of which were against Bournemouth, and the other two were Freddy individual goals.

To put that in context, in the 9 games he has been subbed, we've scored 8 goals once he has been subbed, five of which were from open play (the other's being one direct free-kick, two from a corner).

Bet the stats would point at him having a bad game vs Man Utd as well though...

The good news is with JCR's recent form looking better, plus Hooper hopefully able to make an impact we have decent options there now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 20 2006,12:21)]I think JCR is worth his place in the side, but purely on his defensive work.

His harrying and back-tracking has been first-rate for a winger, and he also relieves pressure from the defence by providing an outlet. However he offers zero attacking threat, other than occupying a defender. I'm struggling to recall a decent shot, a defence splitting pass (or even a pass to put a team-mate in a better position than he was) and I've seen about 3 crosses that have cleared the first man. JCR has replaced Mark Bentley in terms of energy and industry on the right, but he lacks Bentley's directness and goal threat.

JCR has played this season, by my calculations, 1142 minutes, during which we've scored 9 goals.

2 were penalties, one was a direct free-kick. A further 2 were from set-pieces (Barrett's goals v Sunderland). That leaves four goals from open play - two of which were against Bournemouth, and the other two were Freddy individual goals.

To put that in context, in the 9 games he has been subbed, we've scored 8 goals once he has been subbed, five of which were from open play (the other's being one direct free-kick, two from a corner).
Stato!!
tounge.gif

That is intreseting though.

JCR is just indecisive he waits far too long sometimes. I'd like to see Cole and Gower (back on the right), other than the Man U game i don't think JCR and Eastwood have won when they have played together.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bluesmum @ Nov. 20 2006,11:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamessufc88 @ Nov. 20 2006,11:25)]There's something about his fitness which isn't right.  He tires too quickly and he can be lazy.  If he puts the effort in, etc. then he's a damn good prospect and can beat any man with the ball at his feet.  When he came on against Preston, he didn't touch the ball until 15 minutes after he came on, and even then, he lost it.  When you're not getting the ball you should try and go looking for it, but he doesn't get involved enough.  It's a shame, as he's a good prospect and a very good player on his day.
against preston mitchell came on in the 79 min, so could you please explain how he didnt touch the ball for 15 mins, and then it was played over the right side of the field, so he didnt really get a chance to be involved
Alright, fine, 11 minutes then. Bit pernickety really
rock.gif
It was only an estimation. But I stand by what I said. Yes it was played down the right a lot, but he should have been SCREAMING for it or going looking for it. It's not just that he CAN'T get involved - often, he simply can't be bothered to get involved. I'm not questioning his undoubted talent and potential, but I am questioning his desire.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bluesmum @ Nov. 20 2006,11:56)]
[b said:
Alright, fine, 11 minutes then.  Bit pernickety really
rock.gif
  It was only an estimation.  But I stand by what I said.  Yes it was played down the right a lot, but he should have been SCREAMING for it or going looking for it.  I saw no evidence of him doing either of these things.  It's not just that he CAN'T get involved - often, he simply can't be bothered to get involved.  I'm not questioning his undoubted talent and potential, but I am questioning his desire.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Nov. 20 2006,12:16)]In fairness JCR is getting a fair few amount of crosses in etc since his return, the fact that Freddy wont attack the 6 yard box only leaves Harrold in there.
Spot on J_M.  I was actually thinking of starting a seperate thread on this.

I wish Fredy, talented though we all know he is, could rediscover some of the attributes he showed in his first games for us.  By that I mean his first 2 vs Swansea were proper centre forwards goals, i.e. getting onto a ball in the "corridor of uncertainty" which is basically across the line of the 6 yard box.

As his allround game has improved so unfortunately have his visits to the 6 yard box decreased.  He seems to want to play like that Terry Henry bloke by lying deep & beating most of the opposition before lashing a belter in from the edge of the box or simply out pacing them to a ball over the top.  However Terry H does score a number of tap-ins as well by just being in the right place at the right time.

Obviously Fredy does so much right but I do feel that he'd be an even better player if he got back to going in where it hurts a bit more often.  A classic example on Saturday when Simon Francis put a great ball in right across the 6 yard line but Fredy who was standing on the edge of the box just slated him, I would say hurled abuse but that's probably too strong, for not passing to him.  In my view Francis' ball was the right one and Fredy should have been making an effort to get to it.  

When was the last time Fredy scored with a simple tap in?  
rock.gif
 Watch him next time we make a quick break by say JCR.  He'll amble forward to the edge of the area in the expectation that the pass will come back to him for a shot, rather than on some of these occasions busting a gut to get in the 6 yard box, which would also keep the defenders guessing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Nov. 20 2006,13:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Nov. 20 2006,12:16)]In fairness JCR is getting a fair few amount of crosses in etc since his return, the fact that Freddy wont attack the 6 yard box only leaves Harrold in there.
Spot on J_M.  I was actually thinking of starting a seperate thread on this.

I wish Fredy, talented though we all know he is, could rediscover some of the attributes he showed in his first games for us.  By that I mean his first 2 vs Swansea were proper centre forwards goals, i.e. getting onto a ball in the "corridor of uncertainty" which is basically across the line of the 6 yard box.

As his allround game has improved so unfortunately have his visits to the 6 yard box decreased.  He seems to want to play like that Terry Henry bloke by lying deep & beating most of the opposition before lashing a belter in from the edge of the box or simply out pacing them to a ball over the top.  However Terry H does score a number of tap-ins as well by just being in the right place at the right time.

Obviously Fredy does so much right but I do feel that he'd be an even better player if he got back to going in where it hurts a bit more often.  A classic example on Saturday when Simon Francis put a great ball in right across the 6 yard line but Fredy who was standing on the edge of the box just slated him, I would say hurled abuse but that's probably too strong, for not passing to him.  In my view Francis' ball was the right one and Fredy should have been making an effort to get to it.  

When was the last time Fredy scored with a simple tap in?  
rock.gif
 Watch him next time we make a quick break by say JCR.  He'll amble forward to the edge of the area in the expectation that the pass will come back to him for a shot, rather than on some of these occasions busting a gut to get in the 6 yard box, which would also keep the defenders guessing.
Have to agree with this point, we are to slow at getting forward and it leaves jcr having to cut back to allow time for anyone to even get into the box, and usually it is only Harrold.
Hopefully the introduction of McCormack will change this.

On a similar note to the stattos how many goals have been concede when jcr has started to when he hasn''t?? It seems we concede a lot more when he doesn''t play

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 20 2006,12:21)]I think JCR is worth his place in the side, but purely on his defensive work.

Sorry to be picky but Barrett's first goal Vs Sunderland was from open play. Maher played a fantastic pass to which Eastwood got the cross in a Barrett had the simple task off heading the ball home.

I like JCR, but I think a decent winger could easilly displace him, as with Guttridge/Clarke (hopefully) getting put out of the team because we've finally signed a decent midfielder. McCormack looked so much better than Gutts/Clarke and I think we would be surprised how much of an improvement there would be if we signed a decent winger on loan. What about that winger from Palace?

Back