• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There is a difference between what we did in the Championship and what we are doing now.

When we were in the championship, we had players on high wages on long term deals, so when we inevitably got relegated, we were paying well above what we would afford.

We are now in League Two and relegation now would be a surprise and I highly doubt players like Mohsni are on high wages. We have also only signed him on for another year, and we could be saying the same thing next year.

Anyone remember when Laurent signed and played fantastic in the reserves and then played amazing against Leeds and everyone on here was saying "get him on a longer contract" ....

Fair point. Past experience would suggest that he's not got such a clause though and I think it's fair enough to assume that he doesn't until we know for a fact otherwise.

The fact that bills are outstanding suggests to me that we are not in the position to be making any long term financial commitments, regardless of whether or not people think we can probably afford it. We could have probably afforded most of the last lot had our income not bottomed-out.

beefy get some real meat inside ya as their will be some good times ahead not bad pal.

Perhaps it's to either put clubs off or perhaps increase his market value.

I very much doubt he is on massive wages coming from a Parisian amateur club, so it's a positive in my book.

He could be a very good player, given the right coaching and game time.

He probably wasn't on big money, but the new deal will almost certainly include a wage increase.

I'm normally very wary about extending players' deals on such little evidence because players are often unable/unwilling to maintain the initial impact they make. Laurent looked a worldbeater in his first month, but rarely afterwards and I'm sure we could all name a dozen players who were man of the match on their debut or impressed in their first month before fading into obscurity. You want to know how a player reacts to adversity, how they fare over the winter months, whether they can play games in quick succession and can they cope against different styles of teams/players.

I think I am however OK with this deal. It is only an extra 12 months on top of what he's got and I think he's already shown enough potential that I'd be inclined to see how he does in his second year, even if he didn't play another game this season. Neither are we signing him blind to his faults as he's had a couple of ropey performances. That's also the best time to re-sign someone, as if he was currently playing like a world-beater there's the danger that he'll want to be paid like one or that we'd try to pay him as one. The most encouraging sign of all though is the club only option for the third year. Club only options are win-win for the club.

ps He wouldn't walk for free in the summer as he'd still be under 24.

Anyone remember when Laurent signed and played fantastic in the reserves and then played amazing against Leeds and everyone on here was saying "get him on a longer contract" ....

Yep. And remember when we had to tear that contract up a couple of months ago when we couldn't afford to honour it?

Footballing-wide, I'm concerned with the Laurent comparison anyway, having only seen Moshni at Northampton....

Is that right YB - (Not having a pop I genuinely don't know). If he's out of contract and not come through th youth acadamy I din't think it counted?

No need to apologise. My understanding is that if a club offers a player under 24 a new contract on at least as good terms as they were previously on (bye bye Moose:'(:'() then that club is entitled to a fee. If no fee can be agreed it'll go to a tribunal. I think the tribunal takes into account things like how much a club was responsible for a player's development, so if they were only there for a year rather than having been through the youth set-up it won't be as much.

I think that's right, but if anyone knows better, please share your knowledge!

ps Not sure if that applies if they go abroad - which could be an issue with a foreign player.....

I'm happy about this news, looks as though he could be a good player for us and I was a little worried that he could have been poached at the end of this season. Have I understood it correctly, he has extended his present year's contract by twelve months whilst at the same time the club has the option of keeping him for a further year if they choose to?

Really? Because I was thinking that 'protecting our investment' by tying players to long contracts on the back of a few decent performances were what almost ran us out of business.

I presume that you have never had a go at Ron Martin for financial mismanagement?

you have to remember that whiles players wages are liabilities their contracts, the players themselves, are assetts -

in our recent history RM lost the assetts, the players, by not fulfilling their contracts - ie paying the players wages -

this freed him of the liabilities (wages) going forward but lost the clubs the value of the players -

what was the value of the players who went - against the value of their wages - we don't know -

50 k each seems reasonable for most of them - it adds up - but of course the way it went RM gets to the keep the money for a good while that hes not paid out ..... he has got Tilsons, Barretts money and he'll keep it as long as he can -

and of course his biggest pay day of all was getting us out of league one - with a big bonus of doing Tilson over -

even the ticket office guy left BUT not Ricky Duncan - player sales are a highly fruitful revenue stream at SUFC and RM is probably having nightmares about the lost sell on cluase on Moussa but
hey ho the big picture suits RM fine ........ when did he expect the Sainsburys money - the 5 million pound credit facility to be confirmed - or was it a complete surprise -

we are plaaying Morecombe tomorrow - thanks Ron.

I think that tying Mohsni down to a deal worth probably no more than £600 per week for a guaranteed 2 years is a bit different to tying Adam Barrett down to a 4-year deal worth £3.5k per week.....

Billy Jennings gave Laurent his over-inflated £1.7k per week wage packet (having been signed on £500 per week by Tilson). I would imagine that Sturrock is being allowed to have the major say in wages that Tilson wasn't. Since he's the only person at the club who knows what he's doing, I wouldn't worry too much about Mohsni being given an inflated wage packet.

I see this as a positive step, and consider that by doing this Ron is looking to secure the future. I would probably have done the same, and looked at this as a future business investment, sort of nothing ventured nothing gained scenario and of course one has to speculate to accumulate doesn't one!

This would certainly tie in with what I've been hearing about a number of scouts from Championship and Premiership clubs coming to look at him...

I'm pretty pleased with this. Having seen him up at Bradford when he was outstanding, it's clear he has a lot of potential and I wouldn't want to risk losing him for nothing in the summer. Clearly we need to exercise financial prudency but there has to be a balace. I like the way Sturrock has exercised caution in only really offering one year deals, but has been looking at extending those deals for those who he sees a significant future for.

I'm pretty pleased with this. Having seen him up at Bradford when he was outstanding, it's clear he has a lot of potential and I wouldn't want to risk losing him for nothing in the summer. Clearly we need to exercise financial prudency but there has to be a balace. I like the way Sturrock has exercised caution in only really offering one year deals, but has been looking at extending those deals for those who he sees a significant future for.

yeh totally agree with you their, the players with us at the moment only on a year deal will be looking to put in a good few months good performances in to get a longer deal so its not all bad with players on short term deals as they then know they have to play well to get better deals, and when players do get 2-3 year deals then they know what they could get out of the club in rewards.

I just cannot believe the negativity from some in this thread. You cant win it seems. Just because certain recent individuals played for a contract and then took the ****, does not mean that everyone else will do the same - in the same way that if you have an abusive husband it does not mean every man is therefore liberal with his hands. If we didnt do this and Bilel became free to sign terms with another club during the final months of his one-year deal, there would be a barrage of criticism. If we think he looks promising and try to guard against that eventuality there is a barrage of criticism: 'I cant believe we've done this', 'this almost took us to the wall last time', 'we never learn'.... what a load of old claptrap from holier-than-thou keyboard generals.

Yes, there are risks. There are with any decision in life - home, work, football - they are no different. Sometimes you have to have faith - and I believe in the decency of Bilel until I learn otherwise. Therefore I fully support this contract extension - well done Luggy and Ron.

There are always risks especially with a player who no one really knows and is young. I think it is a good step, for sure other clubs would be sniffing around as he has the ability to become a class palyer. We need to give him support and time he will make mistakes all young players do, but I think he will make it.

I think that tying Mohsni down to a deal worth probably no more than £600 per week for a guaranteed 2 years is a bit different to tying Adam Barrett down to a 4-year deal worth £3.5k per week.....

Billy Jennings gave Laurent his over-inflated £1.7k per week wage packet (having been signed on £500 per week by Tilson). I would imagine that Sturrock is being allowed to have the major say in wages that Tilson wasn't. Since he's the only person at the club who knows what he's doing, I wouldn't worry too much about Mohsni being given an inflated wage packet.

Seriously, Jimmy, you make Tilly sound pathetic.

I just cannot believe the negativity from some in this thread. You cant win it seems. Just because certain recent individuals played for a contract and then took the ****, does not mean that everyone else will do the same - in the same way that if you have an abusive husband it does not mean every man is therefore liberal with his hands. If we didnt do this and Bilel became free to sign terms with another club during the final months of his one-year deal, there would be a barrage of criticism. If we think he looks promising and try to guard against that eventuality there is a barrage of criticism: 'I cant believe we've done this', 'this almost took us to the wall last time', 'we never learn'.... what a load of old claptrap from holier-than-thou keyboard generals.

Yes, there are risks. There are with any decision in life - home, work, football - they are no different. Sometimes you have to have faith - and I believe in the decency of Bilel until I learn otherwise. Therefore I fully support this contract extension - well done Luggy and Ron.

I'm the only person who has said anything 'negative' against the news. I'm just sick of going on about our cashflow problems. Apparently the Club couldn't give a ****, so why should I?

Last edited:
Back