• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most Important Musical Breakthrough Of The Past 50 Years

For me it would probably be Ray Davies for taking basic blues riffs and turning them into melodic rock, sensitive anthems that have influenced so many bands of the last 40 years.

In which case, I apologise. I thought we were talking about a main music genre, not a sub genre with few record sales

;)

meh he he.

I agree with your point that Rap probably would have found another beat, however so many genres and sub genres latched onto the versatility of the Amen Break that it is for me a hugely influential breakthrough in music.

If I can stretch the envelope to 60 years... then I'd say one of the most important musical breakthroughs is the release of the Fender Telecaster, the first mass-produced solid electric guitar. The Tele - followed by the Gibson Les Paul, and then the Fender Stratocaster - defines the vast majority of rock and pop guitar sounds that we know and love today.

Tele:

200px-FenderTelecaster.jpg

Les Paul:

800px-Daves58historic.jpg

Strat:

450px-Stratocaster_003.jpg

4 west london boys,the best drummer ever,the greatest guitarist and a brilliant vocalist that rocked the world,ladies and gentleman,i give you THE WHO.

Also John Entwistle was voted the best bassist of the century in a 2000 poll, though I forget which one ... haven't read the rest of this thread, so apologies if someone's already said this.

Well, fifty years this year...

Motown is a record company founded by Berry Gordy, Jr. and incorporated as Motown Record Corporation in Detroit, Michigan, USA, on April 14, 1960

Would go along with this too, although Elvis and the Beatles were obviously right up there.

Pink Floyd all the way. Pioneers of prog, inventors of dance, influence on Sgt.Peppers which was being recorded next door to them whilst recording The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. Creators of Dark Side Of The Moon, surely an album never bettered.

NB/ I'm aware that my adoration may come across as the musings of an awkward virgin, but I assure you I'm not.

For me it would probably be Ray Davies for taking basic blues riffs and turning them into melodic rock, sensitive anthems that have influenced so many bands of the last 40 years.

Top shout - 'The Emperor' applauds your insight! :clap:

Live Aid - though not for the better.

I think there was an awakening after that at the colossal amounts of money that could be extracted from gullible fans on a global basis by giving themselves exposure to a worthy cause.

I've felt from then on that the main aim of the majority of bands has been to make money rather than make music that will echo down the ages - and have no qualms in exploiting charitable causes to do so.

Back