• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mrs Brown's Boys: Your opinion?

To ***** or not to *****?

• Total voters
Talking of all this ...

Miranda doing her stand up comedy next year - Nothing but complete bollox - surely?

Talking of all this ...

Miranda doing her stand up comedy next year - Nothing but complete bollox - surely?

Discussed elsewhere, comedy is subjective. I like to be "entertained", and yes, I still find slapstick mildly amusing when it's done well, which Miranda does.

I just think some people expect comedy to be intellectually amusing a la Mock the Week/QI type at all times, there's a place for ALL types of comedy - it's in the finest traditions of variety performances.

I wonder, do people slating these programmes ever laugh out loud at some of the slapstick on view in You've Been Framed? Simpler tastes.

I wonder, do people slating these programmes ever laugh out loud at some of the slapstick on view in You've Been Framed? Simpler tastes.

If I watch more than 30 seconds I find myself wanting to go on a Patrick Bateman style murder spree. :angry:

If I watch more than 30 seconds I find myself wanting to go on a Patrick Bateman style murder spree. :angry:

There you go....chill, you might find yourself enjoying it more! You'll have to learn when you start taking your daughter to pantomimes and kiddies' shows!!! :smile:

Its alright. Sometime i get a bit confused, as it tries to tip towards being sentimental and heartfelt, and at other times tries to be sweary comedy, but i can see why people like it

I would like to remember and Mrs Brown's Boys as I do Blackadder.

I.e the franchise coming to an abrupt halt as the entire cast are mown down by gunfire.

Well 19/8 so I'll ring up the DG to make sure it's cancelled in favour of Young Ones repeats. :clap:

Life is subjective OBL.

Good point though. Nothing will appeal to all apart from a 3 day weekend!

I would like to remember and Mrs Brown's Boys as I do Blackadder.

I.e the franchise coming to an abrupt halt as the entire cast are mown down by gunfire.

How dare you. Blackadders II-IV are some of the finest bits of comedy in the last 30 years to my mind!

I could watch Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, OFAH, Father Ted, Bottom, The Young Ones, Men Behaving Badly, The Vicar of Dibley, Ab Fab, One Foot In The Grave.......I could watch all of those til I'm blue in the face. I don't doubt the merits at all of the style of comedy that Mrs. Brown's Boys and Miranda are trying to achieve, because they're not unlike some of the stuff I've mentioned above in style and level. It's just that their execution is failing and they're not very funny in my opinion. They have the odd moment, but on the whole, I'm not laughing much.

I guess a lot of people are just able to judge 2013 comedy on its own merits. Maybe my problem is in comparing it with 1970s-1990s stuff, because there ain't no comparison with any of that.

Personally I like it - maybe it's not as subtle as some of the sitcoms mentioned above but there are some brilliant bits in it. Like most comedy these days, it's not a laugh a minute but it obviously has an audience that is entertained by it. I know someone who has been to the 'live' version and they raved about it. Admittedly it probably doesn't appeal to the younger audience , but I guess that just means I'm getting old!!

As for Miranda, she can **** right off.

Back