• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Today is my 50th .........50 years since my first away match.

Monday 24th August 1964
Queens Park Rangers 2-0 Southend United.

I didn’t have the luxury of going to football with my dad (he had stopped going years previously) so I had to finance and go under my own steem. I was 12 years old but had saved my pocket money and me and a mate booked the Eastern National coach which left from Pier Hill (roughly where the Royals entrance is that looks out to sea). These days no way would Wino or the Trust allow let two 12 years to travel without an adult, but in those days it was not a problem.

I told my parents I would be back by 10.00 pm a little ambitious perhaps for a 7.30 kick-off. QPR played at Loftus Road, but then it only had cover on two sides, one end and one side were open. The Southend fans gathered on the open side and the odd chant of the timeless classic “Southend clap clap clap” were heard, but it was a disappointing defeat for naive youngsters. Needless to say after stopping at a pub on the way home and walking from Pier Hill to Southchurch it was well past Midnight when I got home, and no phones to let them know I would be late. Mum can I go to Reading next Saturday I asked? “NO” was the firm answer.

Frankly QPR seemed a bit tin-pot compared to us at the time, we had three stands they had only two, the attendance at QPR was 6,709 while at Roots Hall it was 10,862 a week later (also midweek). If this is so where have we gone wrong in the last 50 years not to progress in the same way that tin pot QPR have?

For me, it takes time and success to build up a "tradition" of attendance. We need to get back into Division 2 and then either stay there or yoyo between division 2 and three for a number of years in order to get people into the habit of attending and bringing their friends and children to a ground that has atmosphere, good facilities and is not unpleasant due to bad behaviour and swearing.

Playing entertaining football and winning games doesn't hurt either ...........

Last edited:
Today is my 50th .........50 years since my first away match.

Frankly QPR seemed a bit tin-pot compared to us at the time, we had three stands they had only two, the attendance at QPR was 6,709 while at Roots Hall it was 10,862 a week later (also midweek). If this is so where have we gone wrong in the last 50 years not to progress in the same way that tin pot QPR have?

It's a fair question.

Feel much the same 64 was when I was treated to my 1st game by my Dad ,am totally bemused why WE have suffered so much while other teams have enjoyed better times.Think the worst example must be Wimbledon ,not even in the league ,but have managed to get into Div 1 ,won the Fa cup,gone out the league and still come back and beat us last Tues !!!!!!!!!

I think in the early 60s we were at the crossroads, there were now two promotion spots and if we had got promotion we could have followed a similar path to QPR, but we were relegated and despite putting together some wonderful squads it took six years to get out of the basement division (sound familiar).

The bottom line is however good your set up is if you can't get it together on the pitch "it don't mean a thing".

A golden opportunity was missed In 1955 with the opening of Roots Hall we desperately needed promotion in the first couple of seasons. If we should ever move to FF or any other new ground the same would apply.

Think Brighton must be the perfect example of whats needed now,but will we ever get there !.Think the big miss was the year we blew out under Ernie Shepherd with a few games to go ,If only.......
I think in the early 60s we were at the crossroads, there were now two promotion spots and if we had got promotion we could have followed a similar path to QPR, but we were relegated and despite putting together some wonderful squads it took six years to get out of the basement division (sound familiar).

The bottom line is however good your set up is if you can't get it together on the pitch "it don't mean a thing".

A golden opportunity was missed In 1955 with the opening of Roots Hall we desperately needed promotion in the first couple of seasons. If we should ever move to FF or any other new ground the same would apply.

Peter,if you could.would you rather be a shrimper,first away game, then or now????maybe old age!!!!!!coming!!!,but give me the late 60s-70s..nostalgia!!!!

yes the 60/70s was fun traveling going by coach with the brothers grim .Many away trips then was great fun .Rember going to plymouth for a friday night game .Coach stayed in Plymouth over night then set off next morning and agreed to take in a game at Bournmouth on the way back . Didnt make it as the coach broke down and spent hours at a coach station playing football .

Peter,if you could.would you rather be a shrimper,first away game, then or now????maybe old age!!!!!!coming!!!,but give me the late 60s-70s..nostalgia!!!!

Great question! Those of us old enough look back with huge amounts of nostalgia....would our nostalgic perception be very different?

When you were in your teens the sixties were great but with danger and temptations to get in trouble for the easily lead. Now getting to grounds is so much easier (thanks to TZ and the trust) and so much safer.

The overnight trips to the likes of Darlington, Workington, Rochdale, Exeter etc were brilliant though (as a single lad). The Youth Section coaches (prior to the Brothers Grimm) were excellent although in fairness Wino's trips comes a close second

2 bob & 6 old pence(altogether half a crown),to watch the shrimpers ,plus prog,massive crowds(10000-12000),great fans &players ,Bentley,Roberts,the 2 macs,billy..what more do you want..My good old mate joe,his dad had a party round his house,those days,invited Sammy.Mac(also from Northern Ireland), he just turned up..different days..

Remember goingto Barrow,71-72,with Brother Grimms coach,our old late mate,Richard,wanting to sleep at the back of the coach,when we arrived.We left Roots Hall,midnight friday.Was woken after the game finished,he saw nothing..also remember,while waiting for a "comp" from one of the players,the groundsman warning us,that Barrow had 2 troublemakers,we should watch out.He knew them,like most of Barrow,by name...happy days

yes the 60/70s was fun traveling going by coach with the brothers grim .Many away trips then was great fun .Rember going to plymouth for a friday night game .Coach stayed in Plymouth over night then set off next morning and agreed to take in a game at Bournmouth on the way back . Didnt make it as the coach broke down and spent hours at a coach station playing football .

I was on that one, and met my future wife on the trip. Remember the total cost inc the nights B & B was £5!. That was Feb 75.

remember booking the coaches at the tin hut after each home game . and the meetings in the golden lion before and after the games .And the well known ozzie leader of the pack .

Also remember also trips to grounds and clubs that are no longer around . like Workington bradford park and Darlington . also trips to Halifax standing on them railway sleepers for steps . On those trips we had to make our own entertainment no videos or radios in them days .

Back