• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane My father Trevor Roberts

Nice pictures Haydn. The top picture looks like it was taken at Chelmsford City's old ground, possibly a friendly match?
Notice that he is holding some sort of goalkeeper gloves there. But in the match picture he is using bare hands.

I wonder who was the last professional goalkeeper not to wear gloves during matches.

View attachment 12323
Picture taken in Southend. Gillian, Haydn and Trevor. I was born on 26th December, 1967 - meaning my dad was playing the Boxing Day match when my mum went into Rochford hospital. Rumour is someone told him at half time he was the father to a boy. Local newspaper printed the story.
Great respect for Trevor...Was keeper when I first went as a lad

Remember as a kid having a pair of Gordon Banks goal keeping gloves bought for me for Christmas, just like a pair of thin gardening gloves compared to the ones used to day, that look like a baseball mitt

Nice pictures Haydn. The top picture looks like it was taken at Chelmsford City's old ground, possibly a friendly match?
Notice that he is holding some sort of goalkeeper gloves there. But in the match picture he is using bare hands.

I wonder who was the last professional goalkeeper not to wear gloves during matches.
The first picture may have been taken when he was playing at Liverpool. He joined Liverpool FC Youth when he was at Liverpool University studying Geography. During that time he was capped for Wales several times. He also got his Blues for Liverpool University for being selected for Wales and also selected and playing for the for British Universities team. Bill Shankly signed him up professionally for Liverpool after he graduated. Shankly was not a believer in having any profession other than football and told him to choose, which became one of the reasons he moved on. Tommy Lawrence was the 1st team goalkeeper for Liverpool at that time and was very good. My dad was selected by Shankly to be in the 1st Team squad that toured America playing games in the US and Canada, appearing on the Ed Sullivan show with Jerry Marsden and the Liverpool team. Shankly made Trevor the team spokesman because he was used to public speaking being a teacher. Trevor's mother was a teacher and enshrined in him the need to have a career and play football. I think for him coming to Southend meant he could achieve both and raise a family.

My mum has always spoken with fond memories of her time in Southend and the friendship with the players and fans. Luckily she and Trevor's mother kept every football program, newspaper article, photo, football caps (Wales), blazer badges and other memorabilia. I have been very humbled to see the tributes to my dad on this site and the memories of him. That means alot. He died when I was 4 in Cambridge and so I have some memories of that time. Mel Slack and his family in particular. It would seem that Trevor's health started to decline whilst at Southend and may have the reason he was dropped (?). The manager that had originally signed him has been replaced by that time. It was at the medical for a teachers job in Cambridge where they discovered he had lung cancer. They operated, he recovered and went back to playing 1st team football. However, it came back and he had a stroke that paralysed him down one side. He had decided to go teaching full time at this stage, but that was not to be. He is buried outside of Prestatyn, North Wales where he had met my mum for the first time whilst on holiday as a teenager.

Last edited:
Trevor was a teacher at Belfairs for boys when I first started attending. It was a very tough school at the time, and problem families or kids that were kicked out of other local schools were sent there. A lot of teachers got no respect and nothing but trouble. Trevor on the other hand, had Kudos for playing for Southend. He had a presence about him, but it was the way he dealt and spoke to the boys. Like Maldon Shrimper said, he was a sports teacher, but I'm sure he took our class once when Ernie Crane was ill at Geography. Trevor had the utmost respect from the boys, because of the person and the way he was.

I hope you don't mind me posting these Haydn.
278525_orig.jpg

roberts-trevor-testimonial-prog-ifc-w-dosanjh-copy_orig.jpg

roberts-trevor-date_orig.jpg

I saw him play many times back in the day, and actually played against him in an 11 v 11 kickabout over at Southchurch Park The occasion was an FA Coaching session run by Geoff Hudson, Southend's manager at the time. After the formal coaching the kickabout was to put into practice what we had learnt in the session. Trevor absolutely refused to play in goal, instead he wanted to play at centre forward, which he did. A big guy, in every sense, and totally flattened me in one clash. Happy memories.

Trev grew on my father and me.
At first, we weren't sure, but he earned his spurs big time as he got into his stride.
He was also a PE teacher at Timberlog School in Basildon, as I recall.
I would have loved it had he been at Dave Barnett's and mine, which was Woodlands.
Why does the fabulous 2-0 win at League Cup winner Swindon in 1969 stick in the mind?
I know Chico and BB scored, but I think Trev had a great game that day.
Others may be able to endorse it.
Nice post - and thanks.

Back