• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_Shrimp

First XI
My Mum, bless her, dropped off a box to my flat the other day, as it had been gathering dust in her shed. In this box was my old programmes and I have had a great time looking through them. Anyway I found the programme from my first league game I saw I beloved side play. It was Friday 26th September 1986 against Rochdale AFC. Back in those days as a school boy I used to write the scores on the back of the team sheet. Seeing this, I thought I would share my first league game with you. (I first saw the SUFC in the pre season friendlies)

The team for the night were as follows:

Jim Stannard, Paul Roberts, Peter Johnson, Dave Martin, Shane Westley, Derek Hall, Paul Clark, Glenn Pennyfather (to become my favourite player), Richard Cadette, Dean Neal, John Gymer and Sub Roy McDonough. The score was 5-3 to the shrimpers with Dean Neal getting the 1st and 3rd, Cadette 2nd, Hall 4th and Gymer 5th

I do so remeber the night watching from the west when you could move from one end to the other.

I have many other programme inculding a Man City cup game that I got signed by many players including the "legend" that is Eric Steele (and I mean legen in the worst terms)

They were my heros at the time and I took a lot a grief from fellow school mates for supporting them (I lived in corringham at the time and they were all london side supporters) but I am so glad that I went as a love affair started that Friday.

What are your memories of you "first time"

Andy

Dont really remeber when but think it was early 70s,some russian team in a friendly i think.Thanks Andy im going to spend all poxy day now rying to recall things i have no hope of remebering when i should be digging my spetic tank out.

My first game was 15th November 1986 (just after yours Andy) FA Cup 1st Round vs Halesowen Town. We were in the West Stand right at the front and I could barely see over the wall and I loved walking down the opposite end of the stand at half-time, i thought that was great! I remember being uncontrolably excited making the way to the ground and once inside I loved it straight away.

I can't find the team sheet for that day (any help?) but two goals from Roy McDonough and one each from Derek Hall and Richard Cadette produced a 4-1 display in front of 4,273.

I remember next to nothing about the actual game itself but I was hooked straight away to Southend. At the time everyone in my school was Liverpool, Tottenham or West Ham and they'd take the **** for me supporting Southend, like I care it only made my allegance stronger!

September 3rd 1976 - Southend United 2 Workington 0
Att: 4,563

Team: Freeman, Moody, Ford, Little, Townsend, Hadley, Nicholl, Goodwin, Denny, Pountney, Cunningham with Paul Clark as the unused sub.

The goals were scored by Alan Little and Paul Denny.

I remember very little about it except that we were sitting at the very front of the East Blues just above the North Paddock and there was an old boy who came it, took out a hammer and nail, drove the nail into the wooden slats and then hung his coat on it ...

Back