• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
Firstly, I am more disappointed tonight than I can remember being as a Southend United supporter ...and that includes relegations and watching much, much poorer teams.
I am eating a Sainsbury's Cheese & Tomato sandwich when I should be celebrating.

A great many of you will have more valid points to make than mine as I have not been in the UK for the majority of the season...but here goes.

Paul Sturrock has assembled a good squad from bare bones since he arrived at Southend United. In that respect an excellent job.
Though Luggy has a fantastic knowledge of football and football players - he is also the most dull, cautious and unimaginitive manager I have known at Roots Hall.
Promotion was there for the taking ..but to take it we needed a little more flair, imagination and adventure...three characteristics that Paul Sturrock would not appear to be a fan of.
It really was there for the taking but we ended up 4th.

And so to the Play-Off's.
To go to Gresty Road and hand them the initiative as we did with our negativity was absurd.
For the game tonight I have to question team selection but am not suprised at the tactics we employed..it was classic Luggy. We needed to get level at some point...yet once again gave Crewe far too much respect. In fairnes the visitors looked fresher, fiitter, classier and gave us a lesson in how to "close down" in the first 45 minutes.

When we had no choice but to rip-up the Paul Sturrock book of lack lustre football and actually have a go? It got exciting. We showed passion, a modicum of flair and we were left with...if only.

The plus points?? The North Bank was fantastic and it was great to see so many "old faces" in the West. Oh how fantastic Wembley would have been.
Congratulations to all of you in the North Bank. Looking on from the West it was absolutely fantastic to see the North Bank looking as good as I can remember since Luton Town & Stan Collymore. Breathtaking.

Had to end on a positive..

After 28 seasons following the Blues I have never been this disappointed.
The prospect of having to watch another season of Paul Sturrocks hoof ball in this league is beyond comprehension.
It's not that I don't think we could go up next season, but even when we were winning this season the football has been unwatchable at times. Good players being chastised in the press by their manager because "they thought they were footballers". Remember that GEM? I could go on but I won't. Please let's have someone in who at least wants to try to play football. Please

The prospect of having to watch another season of Paul Sturrocks hoof ball in this league is beyond comprehension.
It's not that I don't think we could go up next season, but even when we were winning this season the football has been unwatchable at times. Good players being chastised in the press by their manager because "they thought they were footballers". Remember that GEM? I could go on but I won't. Please let's have someone in who at least wants to try to play football. Please

To get away with being such a dull and boring manager - you have to deliver promotion!

I just have one question - why Benyon instead of Harris? Cannot understand it! When Harris came on the whole complexion of the game changed! Just do not get it.......so disappointed!,

I just have one question - why Benyon instead of Harris? Cannot understand it! When Harris came on the whole complexion of the game changed! Just do not get it.......so disappointed!,

It seems fairly obvious to me that Harris must have been one of the "emergency ward 10 players" that PS was talking about in his pre-match BP interview.

Firstly, I am more disappointed tonight than I can remember being as a Southend United supporter ...and that includes relegations and watching much, much poorer teams.
I am eating a Sainsbury's Cheese & Tomato sandwich when I should be celebrating.

A great many of you will have more valid points to make than mine as I have not been in the UK for the majority of the season...but here goes.

Paul Sturrock has assembled a good squad from bare bones since he arrived at Southend United. In that respect an excellent job.
Though Luggy has a fantastic knowledge of football and football players - he is also the most dull, cautious and unimaginitive manager I have known at Roots Hall.
Promotion was there for the taking ..but to take it we needed a little more flair, imagination and adventure...three characteristics that Paul Sturrock would not appear to be a fan of.
It really was there for the taking but we ended up 4th.

And so to the Play-Off's.
To go to Gresty Road and hand them the initiative as we did with our negativity was absurd.
For the game tonight I have to question team selection but am not suprised at the tactics we employed..it was classic Luggy. We needed to get level at some point...yet once again gave Crewe far too much respect. In fairnes the visitors looked fresher, fiitter, classier and gave us a lesson in how to "close down" in the first 45 minutes.

When we had no choice but to rip-up the Paul Sturrock book of lack lustre football and actually have a go? It got exciting. We showed passion, a modicum of flair and we were left with...if only.

The plus points?? The North Bank was fantastic and it was great to see so many "old faces" in the West. Oh how fantastic Wembley would have been.
Congratulations to all of you in the North Bank. Looking on from the West it was absolutely fantastic to see the North Bank looking as good as I can remember since Luton Town & Stan Collymore. Breathtaking.

Had to end on a positive..

Sorry don't agree with your choice of sandwich. I much prefer chiken Balti with salad, and Bolton shrimper only eats furniture.

To get away with being such a dull and boring manager - you have to deliver promotion!
Ah there you have ıt ın a nutshell. Im no fan of PS, but ıf he delıvered what the fans wanted he gets away wıth hıs god awfull style of play. Now some wıll say he dıd delıver wıth 83 poınts,from a team that was down and out not long ago, ok for those that say that ı do take there poınt, but at the end of the day we are stıll ın dıv2, wıth the prospect of another season. watchıng the ball flyıng around above everybodys head, and goıng home wonderıng what on earth we have just watched.

What he said^^^^^^^ and what a waste of a season that had so much promise, gutted and there is noway I will watch another season of hoofball next year.

This season was all about promotion at any cost to the style of play used. PS failed and however you want to show stats for goals scored, points blah blah, we are still stuck in Lge 2.

Will keep it brief as I've only seen the matches that were televised this season so am not able to give a rounded view of the whole season. However the football I saw in those 4 games was dire. Of course if I were still over there I'd turn up every week and I'm happy if it's a means to an end. However I'm sort of in agreement with the sentiments expressed already, the means didn't bring about the end result we desired so was it all worth it?

Once again, that's based on just 4 games on TV from the other side of the world so fully admit my opinion is not really based on the full picture.

On the plus point side, how great to see a fairly full ground with (once everyone woke up after the Harris goal) a proper atmosphere. Made me realise exactly what it is I miss about football at Roots Hall and worth so much more than flash modern stadiums and sunshine. Brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

What he said^^^^^^^ and what a waste of a season that had so much promise, gutted and there is noway I will watch another season of hoofball next year.

This season was all about promotion at any cost to the style of play used. PS failed and however you want to show stats for goals scored, points blah blah, we are still stuck in Lge 2.

So if we had managed just one more point you would you be watching us next season, small difference I would say.

So if we had managed just one more point you would you be watching us next season, small difference I would say.

Surely if you play this brand of football then it is just about the end result and nothing else as there is no joy in watching the play without that? Not that I have a problem with that neccesarily, whatever it takes to get us out of this division in my book.

However it didn't get us out of this division, so you lot who watch it week in week out watched hoofball for nothing.

A huge difference I would say as we would be in Lge 1 and it would of been worth suffering dire rubbish football for most of the season for that reason alone.

As I walked home last night I thought all the crap hoofball we have had to watch was all in vain and I didn't want to suffer another season of that.

This morning I still feel I couldn't handle another season of torture.

I am embarassed about the sandwich..it was marked down...like the team.

My concern this morning is for the future. The attendance last night was hardly spectacular. I feel we lost a lot of "floating punters" that witnessed the performance up in Cheshire. Anyone who watched the games on Sky will surely never pay to watch at Roots Hall as the football was incredibly awful. That was down to the manager.

So that leaves the regulars. How many will not pay out to watch Paul Sturrock styleeee football next season? I predict an alarming crash in attendances.

It could all have been so, so different!!

As I walked home last night I thought all the crap hoofball we have had to watch was all in vain and I didn't want to suffer another season of that.

On the plus side though mate losing means you won't have to see my ugly mug for a while longer, was all set for a flying visit if we'd have made it to Wembley.

Ken, as you know, I have not felt I could endure sitting through the dross which has largely been served up this season - each time I did visit the Hall it reminded me why it was no longer a pleasurable experience.

My heart goes out to all of you who have sat through the lot, spending a considerable amount of money in these difficult times along the way.

I too was numb after the match, mainly as I felt the Club needed to escape from League 2 now or face a potentially long haul to get out of this league. If we change manager at this point we will mostprobably need at least a two season re-building programme and if we stick with Sturrock then he too will be working with a vastly different squad next year and that will take time to gel.

Unfortunately for those who finance all of this, I suspect that after this season's conclusion there will be less and less sitting through every game.

Feel much the same but like most I'll be back come August, but can't say I am relishing another season at this level. What I am concerned about is that the club bet the farm on getting promotion and I wonder where this will leave us financially as it's all gone tits up.

Mark my words this league will be tougher next season, Chesterfield & Wycombe coming down, Bristol Rovers won't be as bad again, Fleetwood coming up with money to spend and the fat crook Evans at Rotherham.

Sorry to hear of your bad news, hope you have a better season next time round. Sorry you have to come back to our little hole in North East Hampshire, see you soon

P.s promise to put some electric in the metre first time round.

Back