• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It looks like it will play out to be another typical Southend season, up and down performances, with a sense of relief that we are not going down. Over the summer the optimism will start building again for the new season. I think your perspective and expectations are based on when you started to actively support the "Shrimpers". If it was around 2004, you'd be forgiven for not wanting more success. I've been going to games and supporting since the 1970 season, so have experienced the highs of FA Cup and League cup runs, and playing in the second tier. I've also experienced the real fear of going out of the football league and many seasons of small crowds, terrible football, stuck in the 4th Division. I've always loved going to Roots Hall, even now, when it's an excuse for a football stadium. Love going away to support when I can, and have always wanted to support my team through the good and bad.

It appears there's a real disconnect from reality based on people who don't watch games and base their opinion from other people's opinions from Shrimperzone.

This season has been bad, but it could have been a lot worse of PB had stayed. We looked certain to go down under PB.

CP has inherited the dead wood left by PB and has done a better job with them. Present form in CPs games since he came in would probably see us above where we are now and just a stone's throw from the play offs. CP has an exceptional back room team and with Ron's backing next season I'm confident we will have a decent and more youthful squad.

I'm sure CP will have lots of contacts and players will want to come and play for him. I don't think he cam be judged for the loanees as he only had a couple of days to act.

I think we will be far more entertained next season and have a much higher chance of a Top 10 or even a Top 6 finish.

That will do for me.

This season has been bad, but it could have been a lot worse of PB had stayed. We looked certain to go down under PB.

CP has inherited the dead wood left by PB and has done a better job with them. Present form in CPs games since he came in would probably see us above where we are now and just a stone's throw from the play offs. CP has an exceptional back room team and with Ron's backing next season I'm confident we will have a decent and more youthful squad.

I'm sure CP will have lots of contacts and players will want to come and play for him. I don't think he cam be judged for the loanees as he only had a couple of days to act.

I think we will be far more entertained next season and have a much higher chance of a Top 10 or even a Top 6 finish.

That will do for me.

I agree with almost all your post; however I suspect the SCP position and PB leaving was being mapped out carefully by Ron since at least the turn of the year. I also suspect that SCP wanted certain assurances and also a "clear" deck with no Lenny or Ranger issues to be dealt with before he put is boots on.
IMO it wasn't the solely timing, a large part for sure, that made getting players in but the state of our poor form and the uncertainty/delays; plus I expect SCP and RM would (I hope) only want loanees that might be available longer term.

I agree with almost all your post; however I suspect the SCP position and PB leaving was being mapped out carefully by Ron since at least the turn of the year. I also suspect that SCP wanted certain assurances and also a "clear" deck with no Lenny or Ranger issues to be dealt with before he put is boots on.
IMO it wasn't the solely timing, a large part for sure, that made getting players in but the state of our poor form and the uncertainty/delays; plus I expect SCP and RM would (I hope) only want loanees that might be available longer term.

Lenny and Ranger would have gone regardless of who was managing. One for financial common sense and the other.....Well put it this way when he had to leave his flat after his sacking he helped himself to things like the flat screen TV that wasn't his etc.

People can blame PB or make excuses for the January shambles but there are other reasons beyond the managers control as to why we ended up with players who PB had previous dealings with. Lets hope CP has plenty of numbers on his mobile because I don't see the problems being solve between now an the end of July......Lets hope he don't walk or the fans don't blame him. That would be sad but knowing how the modern fan turns on a manager its something that will inevitably happen.

That aside nothing is certain in Footy. Take Scunthorpe for example plenty of money, 16 players to target in the January window drawn up on the shortlist in early December. Against our last 24hr panic. Scunny were even sniggering at the Mantom loan signing.....3 months later we have climbed up the table, whilst they could easily slide out of the top 6 and Alexander has been sacked.

Lenny and Ranger would have gone regardless of who was managing. One for financial common sense and the other.....Well put it this way when he had to leave his flat after his sacking he helped himself to things like the flat screen TV that wasn't his etc.

People can blame PB or make excuses for the January shambles but there are other reasons beyond the managers control as to why we ended up with players who PB had previous dealings with. Lets hope CP has plenty of numbers on his mobile because I don't see the problems being solve between now an the end of July......Lets hope he don't walk or the fans don't blame him. That would be sad but knowing how the modern fan turns on a manager its something that will inevitably happen.

That aside nothing is certain in Footy. Take Scunthorpe for example plenty of money, 16 players to target in the January window drawn up on the shortlist in early December. Against our last 24hr panic. Scunny were even sniggering at the Mantom loan signing.....3 months later we have climbed up the table, whilst they could easily slide out of the top 6 and Alexander has been sacked.

How do you explain Shrewsbury's success this season? And please don't tell me it's all down to their new ground.Surely we could emulate their achievements next season with the right signings in the summer?

How do you explain Shrewsbury's success this season? And please don't tell me it's all down to their new ground.Surely we could emulate their achievements next season with the right signings in the summer?
Astute signings that gelled well, very quickly. Kept injury free, and largely suspension free too. They have started to pick up cards and bans and now a lack of depth is causing them to hic cup. A good cup run(s) has allowed them some financial freedom above that generated by having a very acceptable and financially balanced new ground and supportive council.
LUCK!

Astute signings that gelled well, very quickly. Kept injury free, and largely suspension free too. They have started to pick up cards and bans and now a lack of depth is causing them to hic cup. A good cup run(s) has allowed them some financial freedom above that generated by having a very acceptable and financially balanced new ground and supportive council.
LUCK!

I've always thought we were very similar clubs.At one time I believed we just pipped them for the record number of years in the (old) third division too.

I'm not convinced, it took a while after we sacked Brown to get Powell to sign, surely if he was already lined up Ron would have sorted the details out ahead of time so Powell would get on board as quickly as possible. It wouldn't surprise me if Ron only got confirmation of Powell's interest (possibly the Cowleys as well if the Lincoln version of Chris Phillips is to be believed) a day or two before sacking Brown.

The season started off with glorious possibilities. Some excellent looking, if older, signings, Ranger coming out of Nick just in time, out playing the title favourites first game. Here was a team and manager capable of putting together a proper title challenge. Ok, so we didn't really bother against Newport in the Cup because getting out of this division was priority. And then we went to Rotherham where the awful, awful truth became apparent. Here was an Emperor With No Clothes - or in football speak, A Manager With No Plan B. So the injuries didn't help, but apart from a glorious sunny afternoon in Fleetwood, we scratched around for points and only a "fortress Roots Hall" home record kept us bobbing mid-table. However, everyone knew as soon as that home record went and the returning players didn't change things, it could get sticky. And it did.

It became apparent that our Wow Signing became someone we forgot we actually had (Rob Kiernan, just to remind you), we had an injury list longer than Ranger's charge sheet,
Ranger got the sack (and no one missed him) and we fell down the table quicker than Rigsby ducks a direct question. Oh, and Theo Robinson was the answer. There was no option but to change the manager - though probably six weeks later than it should have happened (after Bristol Rovers, that was as bad as I've ever seen). Thank you Mr Brown, your work here is done you left us in a far better place than you found us.

So in came SCP, a legend in every sense of the word. "Lets Have Some Fun" he said. Oh God, Yes. Please. Let's have some entertainment. And we entertainment we got with 9 goals in 3 home games and a home crowd that buzzing. Ok, so that probably keeps us in this division, but the honeymoon period is over and Plymouth showed we are still every bit as bad as we were at Rotherham. and our last couple of home games haven't exactly been entertaining.

So, overall.
It's been grim watching. Nasty negative tactics, playing off the back foot, unable to respond to conceding goals, players in the wrong position and a team that isn't playing as a team. Personally, I am looking forward to final whistle vs Bristol Rovers (partly because I am jumping on a plane to Venice straight afterwards).

There have been positives. Dru Yearwood, who stepped into Ryan Leonard's shows admirably, almost to the point we don't miss him. Other youngsters, Elvis and Harry have looked like they may develop into regular first teamers. Oxley who has turned himself into a more than decent keeper for this level. But these are outweighed by big players on big salaries who haven't work, haven't fitted or have spent too much time on the injury table. SCP has a major rebuild in the summer, and I can see six or seven changes to personnel.

They did go top end in the loan market with about 5 payers. We as a club didn't want that, from Chairman to youngest of fans.

By the way their main stand has one of the best bar/commercial areas I have been in. They can divide it up for week day conferences etc. Or open it up fully for big summer weddings and earn money whilst RH sits there unused and rotting away.

Opinon's of an imaginary supporter who only reads shrimperzone to base this.........

Ox - Not enough clean sheets despite lots of good performances
Demetriou - Not good enough defending. Ignoring all goals, assists and plenty of good displays,
Coker - Not good enough since been back
Turner - Too old and injured for a couple of months......otherwise brilliant...but still too old.
White - Sub player
Timlin - Browns fav
Kights - Never fit. What do we pay him for?
Macca - Not consistently top class. We should expect that right!
Fortune - Too old and not a natural goalscorer....irrelevant of performances
Cox - Not enough goals this season....irrelevant of performance.

Big clear out needed. Southend are a sleeping giant who should steam roll the league.

Opinon's of an imaginary supporter who only reads shrimperzone to base this.........

Ox - Not enough clean sheets despite lots of good performances
Demetriou - Not good enough defending. Ignoring all goals, assists and plenty of good displays,
Coker - Not good enough since been back
Turner - Too old and injured for a couple of months......otherwise brilliant...but still too old.
White - Sub player
Timlin - Browns fav
Kights - Never fit. What do we pay him for?
Macca - Not consistently top class. We should expect that right!
Fortune - Too old and not a natural goalscorer....irrelevant of performances
Cox - Not enough goals this season....irrelevant of performance.

Big clear out needed. Southend are a sleeping giant who should steam roll the league.

ShrimperZone welcomes all Southend supporters and with them their opinions, be they local or exiles. Buffalowolf is based in the Phillipines so he's not going to get to many games is he? but that doesn't make him imaginary.

ShrimperZone welcomes all Southend supporters and with them their opinions, be they local or exiles. Buffalowolf is based in the Phillipines so he's not going to get to many games is he? but that doesn't make him imaginary.

Nothing to do with Buffalowolf. Basing the post of popular comments from Shrimperzone. A prime example of how things on Shrimperzone are way out of context from reality.

I could also say its not only based on the threads but also i have 4 brothers live in Southend ,one is a season ticket holder another goes to matches when hes not skiing in Austria ,the other two as far as i know just follow the results.Bur Westy you have show in past posts that you seem to have a dislike towards me making comments ,maybe you been the same with other exiles ,of that i dont know,but you certainly have toward me.Mrs Blue was the same when he/she was posting.

You know with Ifollow you can see more matches sat on your sofa than a season ticket holder.

Back