• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

National league to vote on whether to scrap their season

This morning's Politico London Playbook had this: BACK OF THE NET: The government will announce new funding for National League football clubs today — a £10 million emergency grant for 850 clubs and confirmation of £11 million loans and grants on a case-by-case basis.

I've put it in the general football forum but it has major implications for us so I thought it needed the wider audience.
Has it got major implications for us though?
I assume some people are thinking this might be a way for us to wriggle out of a relegation, but why won't PPG take effect?
Is there a minimum number of games that have to be played for PPG to be operative?

I assume some people are thinking this might be a way for us to wriggle out of a relegation, but why won't PPG take effect?
Is there a minimum number of games that have to be played for PPG to be operative?
51% of League Two games had been played before the 19:00 kick offs last night.....

51% of League Two games had been played before the 19:00 kick offs last night.....
It not about PPG in L2- its about being able to have promotion from the NL in a season thats abandoned so early. L2 clubs wont accept that nor likely will EFL. However, probably they will continue so will end up a moot point.

The sticking point for NL clubs and step 3-6 clubs is this loan. As the article says above none of them would have started the season had they been told any monies given for lost revenue would be in loan form.

If they do abandon the season now PPG won't be applied so there won't be promotion.
It's in the hands of the government really, if they agree to scrap the loan and make it all a grant scheme then the NL will continue.

Teams in the National League have played between 14 and 20 games. No teams have reached the halfway stage of 22. I’m not sure if there’s a rule, but there’s no way they’ll decide the league by PPG on the basis of the limited amount of games played.

These sort of things never go our way. Like all of us I feel so negative this morning, we'd dragged ourselves back in to the fight and it just feels like we'll be back where we were before December soon. Of course there is still time to get out of it but not without major re-inforcements & where are they going to come from. I think losing the Arsenal lad has been a major factor in recent results & performances. We now just havent got anything to scare the opposition with. Anyway I digress, can any of us really complain if we're put down by PPG? The club has been in a mess for 3 years now and this is the result. If the NL plays on, our only hope comes from there being three other pretty dire teams down there with us (Grimsby, Barrow & Stevenage). We can forget anything else, its a mini-relegation league between the 4 of us.

If it goes to a vote by the 66 clubs over the 3 divisions it will be null and void there will be far more that just want to stop get there players staff on furlough to protect there future than those probably in the top 6/7 of each division that would want to continue with a loan:dept scheme that there offering unless the government change there minds and release grants but times running out

Just merge league two, national, and national region into regional leagues with those in the midlands moving between the two depending on the need to balance the leagues. Top two from each side go up, automatic for first and the then top five playoff into league one.

Just merge league two, national, and national region into regional leagues with those in the midlands moving between the two depending on the need to balance the leagues. Top two from each side go up, automatic for first and the then top five playoff into league one.

I would really dislike that, but it may well happen. An alternative would be to take the NL into the EFL as League Three with re-financing as part of the EFL. That is very unlikely to happen.

Not all of the National League clubs are against the idea of a loan. Chelmsford City chairman is in favour of it and says the terms are reasonable. It would mean that the club can carry on playing rather than have the complicated worry about paying contracted players. Many non league players have other jobs so furlough may not be applicable. Apparently many other clubs take the same view as Chelmsford. The future of the National League and also its North and South divisions is still unclear. Obviously if the season is declared null and void this would be a lifeline for us.

There was talk preseason of merging National and L2 and having 3 regions. I thought that was the best idea for all sorts of COVID reasons including a chance to finish a season with less games.

Long term I like the idea of 5 leagues (including PL) of 20. Level 4 would be North and South. The idea was for the PL to fund the loss of 4 home games revenue. Plus less Tuesday fixtures, less travel, including overnighters and bigger crowds for more local fixtures.

There was talk preseason of merging National and L2 and having 3 regions. I thought that was the best idea for all sorts of COVID reasons including a chance to finish a season with less games.

Long term I like the idea of 5 leagues (including PL) of 20. Level 4 would be North and South. The idea was for the PL to fund the loss of 4 home games revenue. Plus less Tuesday fixtures, less travel, including overnighters and bigger crowds for more local fixtures.

We all like an away days but we need bigger crowds in the lower divisions for each game to help with club income when we all can go back. How many games do you get less than 100 away fans, especially on a cold Tuesday in February

We all like an away days but we need bigger crowds in the lower divisions for each game to help with club income when we all can go back. How many games do you get less than 100 away fans, especially on a cold Tuesday in February

Not just away fans our Tuesday home crowds suffer badly. Especially things like the meal deals etc. Selling out the Centre circle is like selling another 200 tickets but no one fancies it on a Tuesday because of the logistics of getting home from London.

It would be just the sort of thing to happen to this club and the snake at the top.

Finish bottom and stay up by default. Get the ground green lighted and announce himself as the new messiah

It would be just the sort of thing to happen to this club and the snake at the top.

Finish bottom and stay up by default. Get the ground green lighted and announce himself as the new messiah

Would relegation or going bust be preferable?

Does this mean anything to the NL itself or add likelihood to a resolution happening?

No that’s under the national league’s 3 divisions they are only offering loans to the national Lge clubs

It would be interesting to see what effect the announcement of no relegation this season would have on us and the teams in the relegation zone. Would we relax and suddenly start winning? Would we relax and start getting mullered again? Would we still battle grimly on, determined to get out of the bottom two by the end of the season so the woolly folk couldn't taunt us forever more about it...?

Back