• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

Are we surprised by his (lack of) impact?

Millwall (2007-2011), goal every 4.76 appearances
Southend (2011+). goal every 4.54 appearances

When I've seen him he's looked a step behind the pace of the game, however his scoring record is consistent to his form when he signed (albeit at a lower level).

Having a look at the 6 goals he has scored for us (in 27 appearances), only one of those was scored when we weren't already winning (the opener against Rovers when Harrold later equalised). 3 of his remaining 5 goals came when he started, so if we were playing well and had a lead then he did find the back of the net, which is against the feeling that I had that he was mainly an impact sub.

Just some food for thought, he'll be fit soon but will he see any football?

He has not been at his best at all...But you can't faulter his scoring record. Would like to see him given another chance when he is fully fit.

On the contrary, some might say his goalscoring has faltered somewhat.

Yeah I would agree with that. Apart from Dickinson who has 12 goals (I think) this season, we haven't really got a striker who looks like they can get many at the moment. Benyon I don't think has one does he? The new guy Flood hasn't had a game yet, Sampson hasn't got a goal, Sturrock struggles to make the bench. That gives us Moshni and Harris as recognised strikers (I guess some people could argue that Moshni isn't a striker). Harris is the only one who has grabbed some goals, albeit not a lot. We need goals atm though and I can see Harris grabbing the odd one or two, more that what some others look like getting.

Sorry if there is an obvious player who I have missed out, I'm a bit hungover today!

Harris would be very useful on the pitch at this time, he's a "talker" and although he hasn't scored many he is a great influence to those around him (in the "Goat" mould if you will).

I'd love to see him be given a chance to play with Hall and Martin on the flanks, a chance he hasn't had yet. I honestly think he'd get a few with supply from those two, Hall is a great provider and don't forget Harris already knows Martin's game well from Millwall.

Harris would be very useful on the pitch at this time, he's a "talker" and although he hasn't scored many he is a great influence to those around him (in the "Goat" mould if you will).

I'd love to see him be given a chance to play with Hall and Martin on the flanks, a chance he hasn't had yet. I honestly think he'd get a few with supply from those two, Hall is a great provider and don't forget Harris already knows Martin's game well from Millwall.
Good point well made.

Don't think Harris will ever score many goals with the current game plan. He needs balls into the penalty area, whipped in from the flanks- not pumped in. Think he's proven himself as a natural finisher, and has never been a pacey, creative striker...just someone who know's where the back of the net is when he gets service.

Very much agree with the point he would work well in a Goater type role.

Don't comment to much on the board, and due to work commitments and moving haven't been to as many games as I would have liked to, so this is a limited perspective but......

For me Harris will never score goals while we play as we do, he is cleverer than that in my opinion and too good a footballer for the direct/long ball approach.

I was at the first game of the season (1-0 against Hereford) where it was obvious the shape needed defining, players needed to gel/get up to the pace. It was very direct and not pretty except for one moment which was the goal. It was the first time Harris got the ball into feet, laid it off to hall who crossed in for Bilel. The only moment of football I can remember in the game and the only moment in the game Harris had it to feet.

I agree with the comments above on Hall and Martin. Harris has the intelligence to be on the end of those balls. Barnet away when he scored, decent football with Leonard and Harris got on the end of it.

I like Dicko but his stature leads us to the current style of play. I can't comment for sure as never seen them live but when Benyon scored all his goals at Torquay, did they play hoof? For me Harris and Benyon could be the way forward.

My concern which I made in a separate post a while back is not about Harris specifically, more the fact that Sturrock seems to prefer the "1 up front" method, yet has assembled more strikers than London Underground.

The fact that Harris is less than 1/3 into a long term contract and (presumably) is one of, if not THE highest earner in the squad...make his particular situation more worrying to me.

It is no co-incidence that our drop in form has been when Harris has been out of the side, and we have tended to play just the one up front in Dickinson.

Harris and Dickinson up front with Hall and Martin on the wings, and Timlin and Grant behind then seems the way to go, as that lot are very good footballers for League 2. When you add Benyon and Sawyer into the mix then you have 8 players who don't suit the type of football we have been playing.

Poor judgement by Sturrock I think over the past 2 months.

It is no co-incidence that our drop in form has been when Blair has been out of the side, and we have tended to play just the one up front in Dickinson.

Blair and Dickinson up front with Hall and Martin on the wings, and Timlin and Grant behind then seems the way to go, as that lot are very good footballers for League 2. When you add Benyon and Sawyer into the mix then you have 8 players who don't suit the type of football we have been playing.

Corrected;-)

It is no co-incidence that our drop in form has been when Harris has been out of the side, and we have tended to play just the one up front in Dickinson.

Harris and Dickinson up front with Hall and Martin on the wings, and Timlin and Grant behind then seems the way to go, as that lot are very good footballers for League 2. When you add Benyon and Sawyer into the mix then you have 8 players who don't suit the type of football we have been playing.

This is true - though Harris hasn't scored many the team scored more when he was playing.

Exactly the points I've been making for weeks now. That midfield and forward line suggested above is a top quality one for this level. Cluniemore....errrr Sturrock has really dropped the ball tactically recently - not playing Hall & Martin together is a mistake, and quite frankly playing Timlin left-side when he has done so is a bigger one.

Don't comment to much on the board, and due to work commitments and moving haven't been to as many games as I would have liked to, so this is a limited perspective but......

For me Harris will never score goals while we play as we do, he is cleverer than that in my opinion and too good a footballer for the direct/long ball approach.

I was at the first game of the season (1-0 against Hereford) where it was obvious the shape needed defining, players needed to gel/get up to the pace. It was very direct and not pretty except for one moment which was the goal. It was the first time Harris got the ball into feet, laid it off to hall who crossed in for Bilel. The only moment of football I can remember in the game and the only moment in the game Harris had it to feet.

I agree with the comments above on Hall and Martin. Harris has the intelligence to be on the end of those balls. Barnet away when he scored, decent football with Leonard and Harris got on the end of it.

I like Dicko but his stature leads us to the current style of play. I can't comment for sure as never seen them live but when Benyon scored all his goals at Torquay, did they play hoof? For me Harris and Benyon could be the way forward.

Agree, apart from the bit about Dicko (I still dont quite "get" him, and the jury is still out...) - point is, neither Harris nor Dicko are ever going to be effective with the long ball method, so pointless expecting them to have a decent strike rate. Harris has intelligence way above the call of duty at league 2 level, so for me his primary role is as per Goater, passing on his experience and being a decent role model for the youngsters (which doesnt seem to be working right now given the alleged poor discipline in the camp at the moment!!)

Like ive said before we do not play to his strengths. for harris to make the impact we had hoped we need to play a 4-4-2. playing him upfront on his own is never going to work he is a target man and if we get the ball to him in the box the only outcome is GOAL.

4-4-2 with harris and benyon or harris and flood please

Back