• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Network Rail privatisation 'on the table'

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Here we go again. Poor old Network Rail about to get another fresh start, and maybe MK will get the opportunity to be employed by somebody else? It seems to me that across Europe, rail services are, in the main, publically owned and run, so maybe this sort of organisation is never going to be profitable enough for the private sector and should be a subsidised service? After the last fiasco of private ownership I honestly haven't a clue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34276868

What a ****ing mess. As if Railtrack was a success......:nope: Tories have no idea. Roll on Jeremy Corbyn and nationalise the lot.

What a ****ing mess. As if Railtrack was a success......:nope: Tories have no idea. Roll on Jeremy Corbyn and nationalise the lot.

Anyone who actually uses the trains will know what a bad idea this would be. British Rail was a stinking pile of ****. Poorly kept trains, lack of punctuality..... oh, and the ridiculous strikes!

Just say what you're thinking MK..... You want more power for the unions again and to hell with the poor passengers who have to live through the misery.....

Nationalization? no thanks!

C2C run an excellent is somewhat expensive service........

I have to agree that the C2C line is a really good example of one that has improved out of all recognition from when it was the 'misery line'. Would it have become what it is now in public ownership? we shall never know. Greater Anglia, on the other hand, is a total disgrace, old carriages and major disruptions. With the introduction of London Southend Airport's station, you would have thought that the Franchise would have seen a major opportunity to improve services.

Anyone who actually uses the trains will know what a bad idea this would be. British Rail was a stinking pile of ****. Poorly kept trains, lack of punctuality..... oh, and the ridiculous strikes!

Just say what you're thinking MK..... You want more power for the unions again and to hell with the poor passengers who have to live through the misery.....

I use the trains and worked in the industry pretty much my entire working life, so I've seen in from both sides.

If you're happy paying for a highly expensive season ticket, and your taxes helping to subsidising the industry at record levels then great. Maybe if BR receieved the same input of money during the 70's and 80's BR wouldn't have got into the mess that it did, but successive Government let the industry fall onto it's knees.

NR is approximately £37Bn in debt - and you still think the free market model works? Isn't it strange that no other country in the world has copied it - how can there be a "free market" when on a lot of routes, there is only one Train Operating Company - a virtual monopoly.

I use the trains every working day. All you've done is describe how they are now!

As for the strikes, they're irrelevant as the Unions have to ballot before striking now. They're no more likely to strike if the railways are nationalised as they are now.

For clarity, I'm not saying I agree with re-nationalisation as I haven't really looked into this. All I'm saying is that your argument against is pretty weak.

C2C does seem to be a verfy good service and a lot cheaper than abellio greater anglia, service and price from chelmsford to liv st is a joke though. Actually to be fair service isn't too bad but for what they charge i'd expect a lot more

C2C isn't expensive in relation to other lines though.

The Victoria - Liverpool St line is much more expensive and the trains and service much worse.

I can't see the C2C line benefitting from being public owned. They would stop investing and I still remember how awful British Rail was.

However I know plenty of other services aren't as well run.

I am not someone who often agrees with the Labour Party in any way shape or form, but I do definitely back the re-nationalisation of the railways. The services I use are shambolic. The amount I pay and the increase each yeah I find to be disgraceful. My trains are overcrowded, often late running, non-airconditioned and I believe the carriages are from the 1970's. Privatisation works when there is competition, but that is not the case with the railway.

Indeed - if you live in the north especially.

tell me about it. Hopefully the SNP win independence and invade the north and take us with them. The weather would be **** but at least we'd have the chance of some government investment infrastructure north of birmingham.

I am not someone who often agrees with the Labour Party in any way shape or form, but I do definitely back the re-nationalisation of the railways. The services I use are shambolic. The amount I pay and the increase each yeah I find to be disgraceful. My trains are overcrowded, often late running, non-airconditioned and I believe the carriages are from the 1970's. Privatisation works when there is competition, but that is not the case with the railway.

What line do you get ?

C2C is really good, I use trains to Oxford a fair bit and they are generally quite good too.

I also however have used Southern quite a bit and they were pretty poor, but they shared lines into London Bridge which I imagine has far more variables to go wrong than C2C just going into Fenchurch ST.

What line do you get ?

C2C is really good, I use trains to Oxford a fair bit and they are generally quite good too.

I also however have used Southern quite a bit and they were pretty poor, but they shared lines into London Bridge which I imagine has far more variables to go wrong than C2C just going into Fenchurch ST.

Currently using the Greater Anglia line into Liverpool Street.

Currently using the Greater Anglia line into Liverpool Street.

I can understand it then.

Im old enough to remember British Rail and how the Liverpool Street got their new trains and we were left with those god awful trains we had with manual doors etc. They were terrible.

Worked in Southend for years then started going up to London on C2C and when eventually had to use the other line on one occassion was shocked at the trains, really uncomfortable. The fact they charge more for the privelage as well takes the biscuit.

Back