• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New captain

Who would you choose?

• Total voters
Got to be Milligan with Kiernan or Oxley as the vice captain.

Agreed, with a small amendment above :Smile:

I only threw Oxley in there incase Kiernan has a breakdown. Out of the current lot those 3 are the only players I would want as captain. I know Cox could do it but personally I don’t like a striker as a captain.

Despite his pedigree its still Milligan's first season in English football, he might want to settle his own game first. So I wouldn't rule out Kiernan as Captain. He will know the squad better, after all he must of spent hours chatting in the treatment room.

Bond was certainly sending his instructions via Kiernan v Sunderland.

Got to be someone who will always play when fit so (without seeing Milligan play) it would logically be him or Kiernan.
Milligan also seems to have negotiated himself quite a good package, so it wouldn't surprise me if the captaincy was part of that.

I'm going for Kiernan due to the fact that he knows the squad, and they him. Certainly last season he was doing all the talking to the other players. Also, I've gone for Kiernan just in case we don't have international clearance for Milligan.

International clearance and a work permit are two completely different things.....

I’d imagine that having played in Scotland, and being his countries captain that a work permit will not be a problem at all.

International clearance is required for all players pro or amateur who play / register for an official league in one country and then want to play in another.

ie A uni student in the States returning for Xmas to play for his local side in the Bostik league will still need international clearance. It’s a one sheet form that is filled in and sent to the FA. So long as the FA of the country he last played in co operate it’s done in a few days.

Milligan, given his experience would likely give you a captains performance with or without the arm band so see it as an opportunity to give someone else a go, Kiernan for me.

We need someone the players respect and will play almost every game.

Are Milligan and Kiernan going to for that mould?

For me it should be Coxy. His work rate and all round application make him my choice

International clearance and a work permit are two completely different things.....

I’d imagine that having played in Scotland, and being his countries captain that a work permit will not be a problem at all.

International clearance is required for all players pro or amateur who play / register for an official league in one country and then want to play in another.

ie A uni student in the States returning for Xmas to play for his local side in the Bostik league will still need international clearance. It’s a one sheet form that is filled in and sent to the FA. So long as the FA of the country he last played in co operate it’s done in a few days.
Thanks for the differentiation between the two @Grapevine. Surprisingly, I was aware that they're not the same which is why I only referred to International clearance. And whilst I'm sure the club will have done something about that I haven't seen anything on the official site to confirm it. not that they need to mind.

We need someone the players respect and will play almost every game.

Are Milligan and Kiernan going to for that mould?

For me it should be Coxy. His work rate and all round application make him my choice

looking at our current squad if both players are fit then Kiernan will play more games than Cox.

There seems to be an assumption that up front it will be Cox and one other......What about Humphrys and Hopper (when fit) or Humphrys and Theo. That's with out Goodship coming on as sub.

Either way when Cox does start I doubt he will finish a game and as we all witnessed last season......We needed leaders in the last 10 minutes particularly at the back.

In case you can't be bothered to plough through the Echo article plus adverts, this is how voters on an Echo online poll have voted:

An online Echosport poll on who should be the next club captain attracted more than 1,200 votes and saw White and Milligan locked level as both received 39 per cent of the choices.
Shrimpers striker Cox, who is currently sidelined with calf injuries, finished third in the poll with 18 per cent of the votes while Mantom was in fourth with four per cent.

Surprised White hasn't been mentioned, unless people see him as not a regular starter which seems to be the same every season until injury hits

Mantom wore the armband last night but Milligan was the one leading. When there was an injury break he even conducted a post mortem on the first goal we conceded.

John White would make an excellent club captain as ambassador with his charity/kids visits.

Back