• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Car Advice

These threads sort of make me chuckle, as people will almost always recommend the car they drive as being good, as no one wants to admit they chose a **** car

All the cars I have recommended I don't own or have ever owned. Me and the wife share a Vauxhall Zafira 1.6, personally I hate the ****ing thing but it's big enough for our family and does the job. I would never recommend the 1.6 Zafira although the new Zafira Tourer on the other hand looks a pretty decent bit of kit.

These threads sort of make me chuckle, as people will almost always recommend the car they drive as being good, as no one wants to admit they chose a **** car
we currently have an 04 astra 1.7 cdti estate, it's fine as a family car, econmical and plenty of room - would i recommend it? no, not from new, and have recommended other manufacturers. if i had £20k spare, i'd be in a Galaxy or something similar. but i haven't...

Meh, I was semi joking, as it's hard to recommend a car you don't own I suppose. The new vs nearly new argument on the other hand is a fair point, I guess it depends on preference. After having 6 pieces of rubbish cars, I then got a car brand new, and probably won't buy anything other than new from now on. It's nice to buy something no one else has driven etc, but I guess it's down to personal preference if that justifys paying 20-25% more for it

Meh, I was semi joking, as it's hard to recommend a car you don't own I suppose. The new vs nearly new argument on the other hand is a fair point, I guess it depends on preference. After having 6 pieces of rubbish cars, I then got a car brand new, and probably won't buy anything other than new from now on. It's nice to buy something no one else has driven etc, but I guess it's down to personal preference if that justifys paying 20-25% more for it

Near new is certainly worth considering, get a decent car with a massive saving.

Think when you buy a new car its then easier to stay with a new car because youve always got something to trade in if you do it regularly.

Ive never really be interested in cars, we had a nice 18 month focus just before my daughter was born but that was 11 years ago, since then just made do with a couple of used focuses, or should that be Foci ? Was checking out prices online for a new Isignia or Mondeo and to have to stump up 20k + with only a car worth about £1500 trade in is a massive purchase.

Whilst I could do it at the moment I seem more willing to spend money on holidays etc than a nice car, 6 months ago I might have felt differently as drove 400+ miles a week, now Im back on the train so it wouldnt really get used much.

I've had 3 Toyotas in the last 19 years. Ist was a Corolla & did 122,000 miles with no problems. 2nd was a new Avensis, drove 220,000 miles in 8 years, and still had the original exhaust & clutch when it was traded in 10 years ago for a new Corolla.
Still have this today, 160,000 miles although i've needed a new clutch and exhaust in the last 3 years. Apart from this, have never experienced any problems what-so-ever.

Problem is, that's all you had left!

I was warned about buying new which I ignored,

Outcome,

Purchased Fiesta for 13k with employee discount ..List price 15500!

7 months on car was stolen with insurance paying out 9500..Potential loss of 6k to general public!

Never again.

That's where Gap insurance comes into play.

That is the problem with new cars though, lose thousands just driving away so if you borrow money to buy one then you already owe more money than the cars worth. Bizarre.

Bought an 09 Fiesta TDCI Zetec a year ago for £7800. Only 9000 miles on the clock and like new. Best thing I ever did

That's where Gap insurance comes into play.

That is the problem with new cars though, lose thousands just driving away so if you borrow money to buy one then you already owe more money than the cars worth. Bizarre.

Ford took my old Puma in exchange and 7 instalments so with insurance money I cleared the debt..Phew!

I learnt my lesson ,Now drive a smart MX5 which cost 5 k and all paid for.

I was warned about buying new which I ignored,

Outcome,

Purchased Fiesta for 13k with employee discount ..List price 15500!

7 months on car was stolen with insurance paying out 9500..Potential loss of 6k to general public!

Never again.

I thought that providing you have a sufficient sum insured motor policies are new for old whilst less than 12 months old aren't they? I would have politely declined the offer of settlement you received!

I'm on my second Touran both purchased from new. Fantastic family cars having had experience of Zafira, Scenic and Grand Scenic.

Last edited:
Financial Ombudsman seems to agree

Most motor insurance policies require the insurer to provide a new replacement only where the vehicle is written-off within a specified time – typically 12 months – after the date of first registration. But after that period, policies rarely require the insurer to provide a new replacement.

Also :

Comprehensive car insurance
The main benefit of comprehensive car insurance is that it includes cover for accidental damage. Cover is also provided for damage caused by fire or theft as well as bodily injury or damage caused to someone else’s property. There are also many other common features which are included in comprehensive car insurance policies, such as:

glass replacement (windscreen, sunroof and windows);
‘new for old’ replacement for vehicles less than 12 months old;
loss of, or damage to, personal property inside your vehicle, up to a certain limit;
medical expenses, up to a certain limit; and
personal accident, which pays out a small sum if you or someone in your car is seriously injured or killed.
Comprehensive car insurance offers greater cover for unforeseen events and greater piece of mind, given the inclusion of cover for accidental damage to your own vehicle.

Worth looking in to if the decision is to go for a new car.

Financial Ombudsman seems to agree

Most motor insurance policies require the insurer to provide a new replacement only where the vehicle is written-off within a specified time – typically 12 months – after the date of first registration. But after that period, policies rarely require the insurer to provide a new replacement.

Also :

Comprehensive car insurance
The main benefit of comprehensive car insurance is that it includes cover for accidental damage. Cover is also provided for damage caused by fire or theft as well as bodily injury or damage caused to someone else’s property. There are also many other common features which are included in comprehensive car insurance policies, such as:

glass replacement (windscreen, sunroof and windows);
‘new for old’ replacement for vehicles less than 12 months old;
loss of, or damage to, personal property inside your vehicle, up to a certain limit;
medical expenses, up to a certain limit; and
personal accident, which pays out a small sum if you or someone in your car is seriously injured or killed.
Comprehensive car insurance offers greater cover for unforeseen events and greater piece of mind, given the inclusion of cover for accidental damage to your own vehicle.

Worth looking in to if the decision is to go for a new car.

My insurer's paid out on the then book price for secondhand,Could not quibble as my policy did not cover commuting!

Decide on your budget then look here and narrow down your choice of car http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/
If you're buying new then www.drivethedeal.com will give you some target figures relating to the cost.
If you're buying used, then I found a paper copy of www.parkers.co.uk a worthy investment

If you have no trade-in car (or selling private) then potentially you can buy from anywhere in the UK (if you are prepared to travel).

for example, 4 years ago I wanted a Mondeo (used). I had no trade-in and didn't need finance. The local ford dealer had the car I wanted for £19,999. I tried to haggle but the best they would offer was £500 off the screen price. Using www.autotrader.co.uk I found the identical car in a Ford dealer in Manchester for £15,600. Phoned them and put a refundable deposit on the car. Booked a £35 train ticket for the next day and purchased the car - quite a saving.

Last month I bought my wife a 62 reg Yaris. Again, tried a local dealer who could only offer a car at £10,500 (plus he'd only offer £1,400 for our old Yaris). Found an identical car at a Toyota main dealer in West London for £8,500. Paid the deposit and jumped on the train to collect the car. Put the old Yaris in autotrader and sold the same weekend for £2,400

Take your time an think about what you want, need and can afford. Then use the internet to the max.

Good luck!

Decide on your budget then look here and narrow down your choice of car http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/
If you're buying new then www.drivethedeal.com will give you some target figures relating to the cost.
If you're buying used, then I found a paper copy of www.parkers.co.uk a worthy investment

If you have no trade-in car (or selling private) then potentially you can buy from anywhere in the UK (if you are prepared to travel).

for example, 4 years ago I wanted a Mondeo (used). I had no trade-in and didn't need finance. The local ford dealer had the car I wanted for £19,999. I tried to haggle but the best they would offer was £500 off the screen price. Using www.autotrader.co.uk I found the identical car in a Ford dealer in Manchester for £15,600. Phoned them and put a refundable deposit on the car. Booked a £35 train ticket for the next day and purchased the car - quite a saving.

Last month I bought my wife a 62 reg Yaris. Again, tried a local dealer who could only offer a car at £10,500 (plus he'd only offer £1,400 for our old Yaris). Found an identical car at a Toyota main dealer in West London for £8,500. Paid the deposit and jumped on the train to collect the car. Put the old Yaris in autotrader and sold the same weekend for £2,400

Take your time an think about what you want, need and can afford. Then use the internet to the max.

Good luck!

Travelling to buy is a really good idea if you're buying used. I went to North Yorkshire for mine and saved a few hundred quid on an identical car being offered in Sheff. Not a huge saving but easily offset a tenner of diesel.

The Toyota dealer even put £25 of petrol in it for me. Unfortunately I couldn't get them to budge on the price - they knew it was a cheap car!
The Mondeo on the otherhand was so empty it was running on fumes when I got it!

One other point to consider is the depreciation. The mondeo is probably worth about £9k (perhaps a little less) now. If I'd bought the local one the depreciation would be about £10,500 but going the extra mile (perhaps 250 miles in this case) it now stands at £6,600

For some traders like www.motorpoint.co.uk you can even get cars shipped to a site more local to you.

And for GAP insurance, get a price off the internet and present that to the dealer to match.

Back