• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New fans ?

Shrimp and two veg

Youth Team
Over 6000 attendance last night. What's going on ? Do we have an influx of new fans going on here, is it a general state of affairs for national league clubs to pack 'em in, the likes of Notts County, Wrexham, Chesterfield and others seem to be doing very well with their support. Even after the biggest decline in our history we are supporting SUFC in much bigger numbers than our last big fall from grace into Div4 from Div 2 as it was back then in the 90s wasnt it ?
Can anyone make sense of this football fan boom ? Bigger local population?

You think if we would of had a great start to the season, say top three I think we would have average gates of 7-7500 in this league no problems, keep winning and the crowds will go up a fair bit.

Over 6000 attendance last night. What's going on ? Do we have an influx of new fans going on here, is it a general state of affairs for national league clubs to pack 'em in, the likes of Notts County, Wrexham, Chesterfield and others seem to be doing very well with their support. Even after the biggest decline in our history we are supporting SUFC in much bigger numbers than our last big fall from grace into Div4 from Div 2 as it was back then in the 90s wasnt it ?

We've been a well supported club for many years, having 6k for a game is nothing unusual, it has nothing to do with new fans, just people pick and chose which games they can attend.

Was in block W last night, i have stood there for the past 10 years approx, so do know persons by their faces that stand in there.

But last night there were a lot more persons in there that i had never seen before, people which only sort of really know the songs etc... but all seemed to support Southend.

Now this is good news, if we are attracting more persons at the bottom-ish of the national league, then what numbers can we attract as we rise up through the table to the play offs.

BUT, with all these additional persons coming into the ground and into block W, it makes it a very very tight squeeze, sometimes 2 persons deep in between the seats.

So i ask, to protect us oldens in block W, can you PLEASE MAKE PREPERATIONS TO OPEN UP BLOCK X, next time and to spread the supporters about more evenly.

Great attendances and loyal fans for sure, but remarkably we're still 6th in the average attendance for home games so far this season, so if the table was based on the size of a club we'd just about make the playoffs.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/attendances

Just shows how competitive this league is, and when you add in hugely over-performing sides like Boreham Wood, Halifax, Bromley and Dagenham we're going to have a tough time getting out of it.

Thankfully it at least seems we might give it a fair crack over the next couple years, which is all we can ask.

I think the price reductions have helped, especially the kids and young persons pricing.

Plus with Covid, outdoor events 'feel' relatively safe compared to indoors, so maybe it's a way to escape and get out the house.

The ticket office have nearly 30k on it's distribution list ie 30k people who have at least attended a Southend game over the years.

As I said above, people pick and choose games. The last few years of poor football, Covid and poor stadium facilities don't help. Friday night games under the floodlights have always attracted good crowds.

6000 is nothing compared to regularly getting 7500+ years back. We are well supported so don’t think these are new fans just regular fans coming back after a tough few years etc

Dont know if any of you guys were at roots hall when we played Liverpool... 79 who had prob one of their best teams ever on show in the snow... now that was an att ..31,000 in roots hall...i was in the concrete standing south bank ..massive stand.... bloody freezing... but what a super crowd for roots...

Dont know if any of you guys were at roots hall when we played Liverpool... 79 who had prob one of their best teams ever on show in the snow... now that was an att ..31,000 in roots hall...i was in the concrete standing south bank ..massive stand.... bloody freezing... but what a super crowd for roots...

I had a ticket for the game ( in the West stand which I passed on to a mate for free) but couldn't hang around when the match was postponed from the original Saturday KO.No flights back to Barna in those days -it was Magic Bus on a teacher's salary or nothing. :Cry:

Great attendances and loyal fans for sure, but remarkably we're still 6th in the average attendance for home games so far this season, so if the table was based on the size of a club we'd just about make the playoffs.

Just shows how competitive this league is, and when you add in hugely over-performing sides like Boreham Wood, Halifax, Bromley and Dagenham we're going to have a tough time getting out of it.

Thankfully it at least seems we might give it a fair crack over the next couple years, which is all we can ask.
Don’t think that means the 5 clubs above us are bigger. Notts County are bigger but I’m not sure about the rest.

Would they have all been getting the same crowds if they were in a relegation battle like us? I very much doubt it.

There’s also the fact that we’ve had barely any 3pm Saturday home games.

That's been covered many times on here Pete. I was also in the South Stand, with the lads top centre. Back to the question, if the team is winning no matter what League Southend are in, the fans will turn up. We have a large catchment area.

It's no surprise,we are a big club in a great catchment area,nothing more to say.

More likely it being a Friday night game always been more popular ,used to be fans going to london clubs on a Saturday .always used to watch saint on greavse on a Saturday afternoon

That makes interesting reading. And incredible how the support drops away from seventh place downwards...

Back