• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If we opened the stadium in League One complete I think we would be lucky to be getting 10-12k.

10-12K would be pretty good crowds for League 1.
What about if it is a 3 sided stadium to start with? I think we would only see a small increase in what we are getting now.

Comparing us with Brighton is laughable,Albion are a far bigger club with large support.

The proposed 21000 for us will IMO be a sorry sight with 6000 sloshing inside the stadium,the championship if we ever get there will require serious player investment just to stay in that division.

The comparison was based upon when Brighton played at there old ground, not where they are now. They had limitations based upon the ground size they were playing in, just like we have at Roots Hall. Back then, both clubs gates were very similar.

To say we'd get 6k in our new ground is LAUGHABLE. People will want to come and enjoy good leg room, good catering, toilets that don't clear your nose with the stench of ammonia and having to wipe your feet when leaving the loo's.

The comparison was based upon when Brighton played at there old ground, not where they are now. They had limitations based upon the ground size they were playing in, just like we have at Roots Hall. Back then, both clubs gates were very similar.

To say we'd get 6k in our new ground is LAUGHABLE. People will want to come and enjoy good leg room, good catering, toilets that don't clear your nose with the stench of ammonia and having to wipe your feet when leaving the loo's.

Shiny new stadia will never guarantee success,Ron still hasn't explained the revenue streams.

If we were playing most clubs in league 1 or 2 then I expect depending on table position around 6000,if we were riding high then possibly another 1000,championship I would expect 10,000 and if we were challenging for the top 6 then add another 2000/3000.

But how many more will come if we are in League 1 with only a 3 sided 14,000 capacity new ground?
Yes crowds would almost certainly increase and the leg room, view and toilets will be better in a new ground, but will that tempt 1,000's of extra people to come along?

Shiny new stadia will never guarantee success,Ron still hasn't explained the revenue streams.

If we were playing most clubs in league 1 or 2 then I expect depending on table position around 6000,if we were riding high then possibly another 1000,championship I would expect 10,000 and if we were challenging for the top 6 then add another 2000/3000.

Firstly, lets go on the basis it has 4 sides.

We are getting more than 6,000 at Roots Hall in League One, we wouldnt get less in a new stadium.

We also got 10,000 average in the CCC at Roots Hall purely because we sold out, we would get more in a new stadium.

We might not get double or even a huge amount but we would certainly get more.

But how many more will come if we are in League 1 with only a 3 sided 14,000 capacity new ground?
Yes crowds would almost certainly increase and the leg room, view and toilets will be better in a new ground, but will that tempt 1,000's of extra people to come along?

And if its not 4 sides then yes that would have an impact.

Don't think so -

The 2011 census for Southend puts the population at 173,658 and Brighton is 273,369, meaning they are getting on for 60% bigger.

tbf I just googled 'Brighton population' and 155,919 showed, took little notice of the (2001) next to it ha

Firstly, lets go on the basis it has 4 sides.

We are getting more than 6,000 at Roots Hall in League One, we wouldnt get less in a new stadium.

We also got 10,000 average in the CCC at Roots Hall purely because we sold out, we would get more in a new stadium.

We might not get double or even a huge amount but we would certainly get more.

And if its not 4 sides then yes that would have an impact.

5200 for the visit of Shrewsbury !

Comparing us with Brighton is laughable,Albion are a far bigger club with large support.

The proposed 21000 for us will IMO be a sorry sight with 6000 sloshing inside the stadium,the championship if we ever get there will require serious player investment just to stay in that division.

Because of their new stadium..

I didn't say it would guarantee success, I'm just saying in todays day and age people prefer comfort and are more likely to attend more games. For whats it worth, I love Root's Hall but I'd rather dig a hole in my back garden and C**p in it than put my arse on one of the toilets at Roots Hall.

You also seem to contradict yourself... Firstly, with the dire facilities we have at Roots Hall, we're exceeding your 6k figure and we're not even in the play off mix (yet). Also you said if we were in the mix (top half) in the Championship, we'd get up to 13k.... Isn't that what most people are actually saying....

Agreed, a 3 sided ground isn't great and maybe put people off...... I'm basing my opinion on a shiny 4 sided all singing, all dancing new ground.

I didn't say it would guarantee success, I'm just saying in todays day and age people prefer comfort and are more likely to attend more games. For whats it worth, I love Root's Hall but I'd rather dig a hole in my back garden and C**p in it than put my arse on one of the toilets at Roots Hall.

You also seem to contradict yourself... Firstly, with the dire facilities we have at Roots Hall, we're exceeding your 6k figure and we're not even in the play off mix (yet). Also you said if we were in the mix (top half) in the Championship, we'd get up to 13k.... Isn't that what most people are actually saying....

The team are in a rich vein of form suffering only 6 defeats in the last 24 league games including PO's,yet we are averaging ATM slightly over 6000.

13000 in a 21000 seater would mean 8000 empty seats or putting it another way the entire East and West were empty at the Hall,hence why I stated 15000 capacity would be decent.

The team are in a rich vein of form suffering only 6 defeats in the last 24 league games including PO's,yet we are averaging ATM slightly over 6000.

13000 in a 21000 seater would mean 8000 empty seats or putting it another way the entire East and West were empty at the Hall,hence why I stated 15000 capacity would be decent.

Problem with a 15,000 capacity is that Ron wants nearly 2,000 corporate seats. Take away 3,000 for away fans and segregation. That means a 15,000 capacity new ground has room for approx 10,000 home fans which is not much more than at present.

Anyway unconfirmed reports have stated that the new ground will still be 3 sided and have a capacity of 14,000 and it could remain that way for many years.

It's early doors right now, most clubs struggle at the beginning of the season regarding gate receipts due to the school holidays eg. PLUS we started out very poor......

So, if we played Man Utd again in the cup (or any other prem club) you'd be happy to miss out on a seat because you only want a 15k stadium?

Problem with a 15,000 capacity is that Ron wants nearly 2,000 corporate seats. Take away 3,000 for away fans and segregation. That means a 15,000 capacity new ground has room for approx 10,000 home fans which is not much more than at present.

Anyway unconfirmed reports have stated that the new ground will still be 3 sided and have a capacity of 14,000 and it could remain that way for many years.

2000 corp seats!

Ron cannot even sell the boxes at the Hall

We could always do a Bradford with the season ticket prices. I agree stadiums like Coventry always look sad with vast empty seats. But if you manage it like Wembley then that looks a feels much better.

We have had 31,000 in RH and even more in Wembley. So if we think big there's no reason why we could not match clubs with smaller towns than ours, like Ipswich, Leicester, Derby etc.

Brighton used to regularly get 15000+ back at the Goldstone Ground in the 70's/80's and 25000+ when in the top tier...

Yep as per these figures:-
1977/8 Brighton's average crowd 25,265 in Div 2
1977/8 Southend average crowd 7,287 in Div 4 (not bad actually)

You could probably maybe find one or two seasons where we may have averaged more than Brighton but I cant be bothered to look at every season!
Brighton have and always will be a bigger club than us.

If people want comparisons with towns of similar sizes then maybe compare us with Ipswich!!

Edit:- It looks like we averaged more than Brighton for a few years when they were playing at the Withdean. Had they not been restricted by the 7,000 capacity I'm not sure we would have done.

Back