• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperton

Manager
Entering League 1, i would imagine Mr Brown is looking for a new strike force asap, there are plenty of names about with higher League experience who might be willing to come to Roots Hall.

Barry Corr, I'm of the opinion that as much as his work rate is good, his technical ability ain't League 1 standard to get the goals we would need to stay in the division, we need to be more mobile in League 1 & not so 1 dimensional of knocking it up Corr.

Joe Pigott, Simon Church, Jon Stead, Jake Cassidy, Mackail Smith, David Mooney, Tom Pope just a tiny amount of forwards available on frees this summer..... all of which could score goals in League 1, given the way we play football, Cassidy just needs a run of games, i think the ability is there.

I Trust in Phil to bring the right players in, but who would you like to see up front when August comes round????

I think a couple more forwards plus one of Cassidy/Pigott and BBBC
BBBC is a proven goalscorer and with proper support and without the need to play 40 games even if not fit he will be an invaluable member of the squad- suspect he will play 20+10 and net 10+ goals in L1

Totally agree that we need a decent strike force (if only we could get a Jermaine Beckford type), but whats the score with PB ??

Jon Stead and Simon Church would be potentials IMHO...

According to the BBC Phil Brown has been quoted as wanting to get back into Premier League management - was hoping he was saying he's gonna do a 'Bournemouth' with Southend, but not mentioned..

It depends on Ron Martins ambitions.

If he sets out to avoid relegation i think this squad would just do that.

If its mid table add a few players of quality

If its play offs/ autos then you would have to think that we would need probably 5 or 6 better players than we have whilst making some big decisions in releasing some.

Id be amazed if

Paul smith
kevan hurst
Lee Barnard
Mads ibenfeldt
Luke prosser

and possibly

Will Atkinson
and myles weston may have to go

I would also say that as good a player as john white is we will need to bring in competetion at right back and all over the field as quite a few players are far too comfortable.

We will also need like you said a much better strike force and some pace which we have lacked all season.

A lot will depend on wether we hold on to Bentley but if we do it will be a major coup as being in a higher league will only enhance the price.

Totally agree that we need a decent strike force (if only we could get a Jermaine Beckford type), but whats the score with PB ??

According to the BBC Phil Brown has been quoted as wanting to get back into Premier League management - was hoping he was saying he's gonna do a 'Bournemouth' with Southend, but not mentioned..

I read that too on BBC, did sound like he wants a Premier League job, but, who can blame anyone for wanting to be in the money pit of the Premier, players or management, i wouldn't be too ****ed if he left for the Premier league, it would upset men more if he left for a Portsmouth type etc, a Bournemouth type rise would be great but it won't happen here............

I would rather not see players at the fag end of their careers . Commitment and enthusiasm from youngersters eager to make a name for themselves in the game. So what if they end up going on to bigger and better things, I am ok with that

Entering League 1, i would imagine Mr Brown is looking for a new strike force asap, there are plenty of names about with higher League experience who might be willing to come to Roots Hall.

Barry Corr, I'm of the opinion that as much as his work rate is good, his technical ability ain't League 1 standard to get the goals we would need to stay in the division, we need to be more mobile in League 1 & not so 1 dimensional of knocking it up Corr.

Joe Pigott, Simon Church, Jon Stead, Jake Cassidy, Mackail Smith, David Mooney, Tom Pope just a tiny amount of forwards available on frees this summer..... all of which could score goals in League 1, given the way we play football, Cassidy just needs a run of games, i think the ability is there.

I Trust in Phil to bring the right players in, but who would you like to see up front when August comes round????

Would you really keep Jake Cassidy over Corr? You say he would score goals in league 1, well he didn't in league 2 did he! Personally I would keep Corr and try our hardest to keep the pig alongside another new signing, for me Cassidy for all his work rate has shown nothing to convince me he's got that goal scoring instinct, I'm not convinced he'd score goals regularly at any level.

It depends on Ron Martins ambitions.

If he sets out to avoid relegation i think this squad would just do that.

If its mid table add a few players of quality

If its play offs/ autos then you would have to think that we would need probably 5 or 6 better players than we have whilst making some big decisions in releasing some.

Id be amazed if

Paul smith
kevan hurst
Lee Barnard
Mads ibenfeldt
Luke prosser

and possibly

Will Atkinson
and myles weston may have to go

I would also say that as good a player as john white is we will need to bring in competetion at right back and all over the field as quite a few players are far too comfortable.

We will also need like you said a much better strike force and some pace which we have lacked all season.

A lot will depend on wether we hold on to Bentley but if we do it will be a major coup as being in a higher league will only enhance the price.

Im a fan of Atkinson, hard worker with great energy which has been the basis of our performances this season, he'd be a great squad player for midfield, i think Deegan might go, he is a League 2 midfielder

I am sure Phil brown will know who he wants .Its another matter who he gets .I don't think Ron will be a stupid with the wage bill as he was the last time around .I hope he has learned a lesson from last time .Pay wages we can afford keep the wolves from the door .Mid table next season I would be happy with that .

Maybe I'm talking rubbish, but can we attract the likes of Darren Bent or Bobby Zamora to Lge 1 ? Getting on a bit bu score goals, otherwise I think we need to target ex Championship rejects..

At the end of last month all of these players (currently in the Championship) are out of contract... Hmmm

Birmingham – Paul Robinson, Nick Towsend, Nikola Zigic, Jonathan Spector, Colin Doyle, Gavin Gunning, Matt Green, Darren Randolph, Lee Novak, Callum Reilly, Koby Arthur, James Fry, Nat Kelly, Olly Lee, Amari ‘i Bell, Will Packwood, Connal Trueman, Callum Preston, Charlee Adams, David Popa

Blackburn – David Raya, Darragh Lenihan, Paul Robinson, Matthew Kilgallon, David Dunn, Marcus Olsson, Josh King, Yann Songo’o, Josh Morris, Ryan Crump, Kellen Daly, Bradley Bauress, Modou Cham, Devarn Green, Dean Rittenberg, David Carson, Sam Jones, Paulo Jorge, Jordan Preston, Sam Lavelle, Jack Doyle, George Pierce, Sam Joel, Hyuga Tanner, Luke Wall, Callum Williams, Connor Thomson
Blackpool – Darren O’Dea, Jeffrey Rentmeister, Peter Clarke, Jamie O’Hara, Tomasz Cywka, Saer Sene, Nathan Delfouneso, Elliot Parish, David Perkins, Nile Ranger, Formose Mendy, Andre Blackman, Jose Cubero, Tom Barkhuizen, Joel Dielna, Steve Davies, Bobby Grant, Gary Mackenzie, Jacob Mellis, Nyron Nosworthy, Francis Zoko, Dominic Telford, Mark Waddington
Bolton – Emile Heskey, Georg Iliev, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Andy Lonergan, Matt Mills, Darren Pratley, Stuart Holden, Adam Bogdan, Marc Tierney, Rob Holding, Niall Maher, Keith Andrews, Jermain Beckford, Tom Eaves, Conor Wilkinson, Quade Taylor, Aaron Knight, Glenn Matthews, Tom Walker, Jamie Thomas, Channing Campbell-Young
Bournemouth – Josh Wakefield, Ian Harte, Tommy Elphick, Darryl Flavahan, Benjamin Buchel, Josh McQuoid, Jayden Stockley, Tokelo Rantie, Stephane Zubar, Aristede Bassele, Miles Addison, Joe Partington, Mo Coulibaly, Josh Carmichael
Brentford – Josh Clarke, Tommy Smith, Kevin O’Connor, Betinho, Nick Proschwitz, Alfie Mawson, Emmanuel Oyeleke, Louis Hutton, Jermaine Udumaga, Jack Warburton
Brighton – Aaron Hughes, Casper Ankergren, Kemy Agustien, Craig Mackail-Smith, Inigo Calderon, Jake Forster-Caskey, Lewis Dunk, Shamir Fenelon, Paddy McCourt, Tom Dallison, Vitalijs Masimenko, Jeffery Monakana, Jesse Starkey, Danny Pappoe, George Cole, Dylan Bennett, Josh Smith, Glen Rea, Emil Asmundsson, Jason Davis
Cardiff – Dane Griffiths, Danny Gabbidon, Nicky Maynard, Joe Ralls, Adedeji Oshilaja, Matt Connolly, Joe Lewis, Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, Danny Johnson
Charlton – Jack Munns, Tobi Sho-Silva, Tal Ben-Haim, Oguchi Onyewu, Chris Eagles, Roger Johnson, Neil Etheridge, Simon Church, Harry Lennon, Harry Osborne, Kadell Daniel, Lawrie Wilson, Joe Pigott, Ayo Obileye, Tareiq Holmes-Dennis, Terrell Thomas, Kieran Monlouis
Derby – Lee Naylor, Shaun Barker, John Eustace, Zak Whitbread, Rhys Sharpe, Tom Naylor, Mark O’Brien, Mats Morch, Jonathan Mitchell, Josh Lelan, Jamie Hanson, Luke Hendrie, Kwame Thomas, Jorna Moulton, Charles Vernam, Mo Adams, Eric Behrens, Josh Barnes
Fulham – Gabor Kiraly, Tim Hoogland, Adil Chihi, Hugo Rodallega, Bryan Ruiz, Josh Passley, Jonathan Buata Mananga, Lyle Della Verde, Josh Smile, Aaron Redford
Huddersfield – Phillip Billing, Ishmael Miller, Sean Scannell, Oscar Gobern, Jake Carroll, Harry Bunn, Duane Holmes, Anthony Gerrard, Martin Paterson, Daniel Carr, Jon Stead, Joe Wilkinson, Joe Wright
Ipswich – Darren Ambrose, Noel Hunt, Daryl Murphy, David McGoldrick, Stephen Hunt, Paul Anderson, Dean Gerken, Jay Tabb, Elliott Hewitt, Michael Crowe, Jack Marriott, Kyle Hammond, Darren McQueen, Omar Sowunmi, Monty Patterson, Paddy Kenny
Leeds – Lewis Walters, Stuart Taylor, Rodolph Austin, Aidy White, Chris Dawson, Michael Tonge, Ross Killock, Frank Mulhern
Middlesbrough – Ryan Brobbel, Jonathan Woodgate, Dean Whitehead, Grant Leadbitter, Mustapha Carayol, David Atkinson, Jordan Jones, Emmanuel Ledesma, Luke Williams, Adam Jackson, Andre Bennett, Mark Kitchling, Priestley Griffiths, Robbie Tinkler, Jonathan Coleby, Josef Wheatley, Scott McCarthy, Jordan Jowers, Junior Mondal, Callum Johnson
Millwall – Justin Hoyte, Danny ****tu, Ricardo Fuller, Lee Martin, Nadjim Abdou, Carlos Edwards, Stefan Maierhoffer, Angel Martinez, Mark Beevers, Nick Bailey, Magaye Gueye, Martyn Woolford, Jack Powell, Denzel Gerrar, Jake Goodman, Fred Onyedinma, Matt Briggs, Richard Chaplow, Fred Onyedinma, Tom King, Josh Siafa, Alfie Pavey
Norwich – Carlos Cuellar, Javier Garrido, Remi Matthews, Cameron McGeehan, Carlton Morris, Reiss Awuah, Ray Grant, Jamie Eaton-Collins, Lewis Byrne-Hewitt, Oliver Cole, Devonte Aransibia
Notts Forest – Danny Collins, Dimitar Evtimov, Louis Laing, Dan Harding, Greg Halford, Robert Tesche, Josh Rees, Tyler Walker
Reading – Sean Long, Pierce Sweeney, Zat Knight, Adam Federici, Yakubu, Stephen Kelly, Mikkel Andersen, Alex Pearce, Jem Karacan, Jure Travner, Ryan Edwards, Jake Cooper, Jonathan Henly, Dan Lincoln, Craig Tanner, Danny Guthrie, Shane Griffin, Niall Keown, Tarique Fosu, Harry Cardwell, Stuart Moore, Liam Kelly, Robert Dickie, Lewis Collins, Marc Ethelson, Hammad Lawal, Daniel Williams, George Legg, Aleksander Gogic, Noor Husin
Rotherham – Ben Pringle, Kari Arnason, Craig Morgan, Lee Frecklington, Mark Bradley, Rob Milsom, Scott Loach, Tony Thompson, Danny Rowe, Mat Sadler, Richard Brindley
Sheff Wed – Rafael Floro, Chris Kirkland, Glenn Loovens, Lewis Buxton, Kamil Zayatte, Chris Maguire, Dejan Kelhar, Jacques Maghoma, Joe Mattock, Kieran Lee, Rhys McCabe, Paul Corry, Matt Young, Joe Wildsmith, Will De Havilland, Ryan Croasdale, Franck Betra, Jack Stobbs
Watford – Luke O’Nien, Josh Doherty, Jorell Johnson, George Byers, Lloyd Doyley, Heurelho Gomes, Rene Gilmartin, Vujadin Savic, Alex Jakubiak, Harry Kyprianou
Wigan – Jermaine Pennant, Marc-Antoine Fortune, Emmerson Boyce, Ali Al-Habsi, Gaetan Bong, William Kvist, Lee Nicholls, Kim Bo-Kyung, Ryan Jennings, Jordan Flores, Declan Poole, Matthew Hamilton, Louis Robles, Sam Cosgrove
Wolves – Eusebio Bancessi, Tomasz Kuszczak, Kevin Doyle, Bakary Sako, Lee Evans, Ashley Carter, Jake Cassidy, Leon Clarke, Liam McAlinden, Bradley Reid, Sam Ricketts, Zeli Ismail, Ibrahim Keita, Harry Burgoyne, Victor Wagner Pedersen, Anto Breslin, Regan Upton

I read that too on BBC, did sound like he wants a Premier League job, but, who can blame anyone for wanting to be in the money pit of the Premier, players or management, i wouldn't be too ****ed if he left for the Premier league, it would upset men more if he left for a Portsmouth type etc, a Bournemouth type rise would be great but it won't happen here............

He did say that he wanted another 'stab' at the premier league, though let's face it a play-off win with Southend is not going to get them scrambling to sign him up. If a Championship side came in I could see him leaving, but he's still got more to do to convince a prem side to take a chance on him IMO.

Yes, my interpretation was definitely a 'come and get me ' quote rather than lets go through the leagues with Southend

Would you really keep Jake Cassidy over Corr? You say he would score goals in league 1, well he didn't in league 2 did he! Personally I would keep Corr and try our hardest to keep the pig alongside another new signing, for me Cassidy for all his work rate has shown nothing to convince me he's got that goal scoring instinct, I'm not convinced he'd score goals regularly at any level.

Never said i would get rid of Corr, Cassidy is only 22 & imo will be a goalscorer when he gets going, he really lacks confidence at the moment, if we play Corr we have to play 442, he needs someone around picking up the pieces

Not sure that Championship list is 100% accurate as Joe Pigott is at Charlton until 2016. Beckford is on that list, although I'd be surprised if Preston don't snap him up ASAP.

I wouldn't say they are "rejects" either as I doubt Brighton want to let players like Jake Forster-Caskey & Lewis Dunk leave.

Tom Pope would be a decent signing, but he said he wants to stay as long as he doesn't get offered a huge pay cut.

Never said i would get rid of Corr, Cassidy is only 22 & imo will be a goalscorer when he gets going, he really lacks confidence at the moment, if we play Corr we have to play 442, he needs someone around picking up the pieces

Agreed but I don't think Cassidy's the man to do it, would much prefer the Pig or A.N. Other. if Cassidy scores goals next season for us or anyone else I'd be happy to hold my hands up but I can't see it personally.

We certainly need to add forwards to our squad. But I think Barry Corr has a part to play in league one next season. I think he brings a lot to our team

Back